September 19, 2010

My Five Fateful Crises

Dr Maung Maung Nyo

I was fond of fun and frolics while young
Continued frolicking with friends for fun
Even past several hours for school run
I was soundly beaten by my angry Mum

(Thambuddhay Cedi, Monywa)

Changing my clothes fretfully for school
She led me with a cane in hand through!

(Elephants Guarding the Entrance to Thambuddhay Cedi)

It was when I started kindergarten class
Learning alphabets and arithmetic art
I got them by heart way ahead in class
Both in tests and exams I always stood first
Teachers promoted me every six months
It made my Mum proud and dance!

(Poet at Age 13 Years)

The love of learning is instilled in me since young
Trying my best to stay at the top always as fun
Yet friends and fun always remain a part of my life
I never become a boring bookworm or nagging knight
Thinking oneself as the best and brightest of the lot
Out of touch with reality and scheming to be lord!

(L to R: Dr MMN, U Kyaw Shein, Dr Thein Aung, Saya Nyein,
(Dr Khin Maung Win)

When I passed premedical matric exam in 1955
I could go to senior inter for medical as a right
But I was lured by Aung San, U Nu,Then Pe and like
Nearly switching to political subjects for a fight
My father and teachers intervened and advised
That I go straight to premedical inter course as choice.

(Dr NOM and Saya Dagon Taryar)

Thus I became a doctor for nearly 50 years
Treating the sick, alleviating the pain and tears
Risking my own life to save the injured at front line
Operating under gun fire to save lives on time

( MMN and Dr Thein Nyunt or Nyunt Wai, Katha)

Then switching to postgraduate study for a Ph.D.
I voluntarily relinquished richness opportunity for me!

(Maung Maung Nyo M.B., B.S., Ph.D. London July 1969)

By that I’m the first Burmese Ph.D. anatomy from London
I was appointed a professor as the youngest at random
Able to start the first postgraduate course in anatomy in Burma
Having trained over thirty or forty anatomist doctors further
Besides teaching hundreds of medical and dental students
I taught future consultants and write to be a writer of influence!

(L to R: Mr Kanti Kumar, MMN, U Thein Sein, U Win Pe,
Mr Mulk Raj, Tekkatho Sein Tin)

On my retirement at the age of sixty
Minister Dr Kyaw Myint came quickly
Asking me to continue as an advisor's life
At a meagre miserly monthly pay of'slight

(MMN and Dagon Taryar)

I denied it for my daughters’ education and future
They are now educated, and settled down for sure.

(Yupar Nyo admitted to the M.Computer Engg. at the UNSW)

During the 1988 countrywide protests and strikes
Appeals and advice came from both sides
To take part and if possible to lead the fight
Against tyranny injustice and BSPP out right
I had to decide to remain apolitical or other wise
A colleague stopped me from marching on sight.

(Ei and Aung Myo Kyaw's Wedding at the Sedona Hotel)

Tekkath Phone Naing was thrown into politics like that
He eulogized thousands of Aung San on strike in fact
He was sacked from rector post on coming back
Some were retained but asked to do things SLORC said
They became stupid stooges of scheming SLORC boss
They forfeited their names and services for ever lost.

(Saya Paragu in the Middle)

I’m a lover of literature, poetry, medicine and life
“Medicine is my wife, literature my lover,” right?

(Saya Paragu Greeing the Groom's Parents)

It was Chekov who said the epithet so clear
I’m fortunate I could indulge in both so dear
More fortunate to have my wife Nan Ommar chartered
She helps me in both literal and other activities smarter.

(MMN, YPN, ESN, NOM at Home)

Indeed I have met many lovely ladies in my life
At school, university, medical college and work site
None has been near and dear to me as my wife

(saya Paragu Speaking at MMN's Home)

One may be prettier or wealthier but not as bright
Another my be smarter or saucier but not as right
After all, my wife suits me best as my first choice!

(NOM, YPN, ESN, MMN)

So I have stated my five fateful crises
As being the blessings in disguises
First truancy as I was beaten by my mother
Second to forego medicine and take politics as cover

(Aung Myo Kyaw and Ei Sabai Nyo with Dagon Taryar's Poem)

Third my refusal to work government advisor post
Fourth I did not join politics all along the course
Fifth I chose my wife out of so many ladies in sight
I value above all else my wife as the most right!

Dr Maung Maung Nyo
19.9.2010 (Original)

No comments: