July 10, 2007

7th July, the Day of Mourning


7th July, the Day of Mourning

I cannot forget 7th July
However much I try
Too much sorrow lies
For all to cry.

Rangoon University is a cradle of democracy
Anti-colonial movement began its infancy
In this university since 1920
Successive students strikes succeeded.
This tradition goes on in the University
With Nu’s, Aung San's and Ba Hein's in continuity
Leading the students in time for any calamity
Hoisting the peacock flag high and visibly.

On 7th July 1962
Students were demanding their rights for review
Suddenly gunshots were fired pointblank through
To the students who were demonstrating unarmed
With sinister aim of death, wounding and harm.

Many students fell dead
Some students fled helter-skelter
But G 3's and Carbines followed thereafter
They hit, maimed and slaughtered the runners
Blood overflowed like rivers
Roads and campus ground were rendered red
it was a day to mourn for the dead.

45 years have passed
But, I cannot forget the past
As regards the 7th July
I still cry for the loss of lives
That General Ne Win had taken it as sacrifice
For his ignominious BSPP socialist stride.

History has taught us
Students will pass all entails
That the righteous will prevail
They have blazed the trail
We will prevail
We shall prevail!

Dr Maung Maung Nyo
7th July 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Saya Nyo,
Allow me to call you as we used to call you when we were your students last 28 years ago.
Initially I thought of requesting to reproduce your touchy poem, 7th July.
However, I felt that wonderful poems should be only at poet's home.
Always grateful to you and all other lecturers,who taught us not only medicine but also humanity, passion, and all other universal values.
sincerely,
Sit Mone
burmasitmone.wordpress.com