I Am 68 (Dr Maung Maung Nyo)

I Am 68 (Dr Maung Maung Nyo)
I was born on July 21, 1939
It was in good British time
My parent lived in style
They travel, they buy and dine.
My birth place was Monywa
A busy town in Upper Burma
Education was revered there
Politics and patriotism flourished together.
Monywa has a tradition of elders
Many great men were born there
Let Wel Nawrahta of King Alaungphaya era
Seinda Kyaw Thu and Maha Bandoola et cetera.
Yes, Kyansittha was also born in Pareinma
Now a small village west of Chindwin River
Old pagodas, inscriptions and landmarks still persist
Monywa has produced many generals and academics.
Ledi Sayadaw was brilliant
Ledi Pandita U Maung Gyi was his dependent
Thein Pe Myint was also prominent
I’m a follower and their student.
I have schooled in Monywa
Number 1 State High School was my alma mater
Then, I went to Mandalay to fare better
I attended the premedical class there.
I attended the Rangoon University
Mandalay Hall was my residency
I was happy and reached maturity
I never forget its fraternity.
I trained in Medicine as a speciality
Both in Mandalay and Rangoon faculties
My performance was satisfactory
I graduated one year after 1960.
I have been in the army
I saw many diseases plenty
I tried hard to be trendy
I intended to go for further study.
I was chosen for a Ph.D.
I went to England very early
I did research in neuroanatomy
I was awarded the degree eventually.
I returned from England
With a Ph.D. (London)
It was the beginning of my curriculum vitae
I did my best in every way.
I also studied in USA
For medical education in modern way
“Americans are different”, I would say
They are innovative as always.
I have taught, researched and wrote
For the people of my abode
So that they would cope
With modern way of living, I hope.
I have served my country for 37 years
Out of love for my brethren, it’s clear
Burma and her people are still dear to me
I would do so again if the need be.
I am 68 years old today
My friends congratulated me and hailed
They say, “Happy Birthday”
They cheer me all the way.
My daughters call me from far away,
“Happy Birthday, Pe Pe”, they say
”Many more to come! Darling Ye”,
It is from the heart of their May May.
What more a man can wish
Every thing you need is accomplished
You have lived a useful life
You should really be delighted.
A man is born in a day
He just lives to play
On a certain day he will also die
He is just marking time.
Dr Maung Maung Nyo (21.7.2007)
No comments:
Post a Comment