The Identity
The Identity
What is an “identity”?
I don’t know for certainty
When people lost their country
They also lost their identity.
When I was in London
I met one Kaung Zan
He came from Shwe Bo
It was several years ago;
He spoke Queen’s English
He dressed and behaved like British
He ridiculed us as smell of “Ngapi’s”
He looked more British than British!
But, he always stayed with us
Even going to movies and circus
He was always treated as one of us
By British whatever he pretended thus.
In USA, I noticed Chinese with Chinese
Vietnamese mixed with Vietnamese
Burmese Indians and Chinese frolicked with Burmese
They have found a common breed.
I met a Burmese doctor in Malaysia
He never says he comes from Burma
He is ashamed of poor Burmese workers
But he holds Burmese passport as shelter.
I also hold the Burmese passport
I pay double taxation I like to report
Nay, “triple” as I also pay in Burma
For a little abode I possess there;
People ask me, ” Where will you live from here?”
I say,” I would live in Burma”
‘But, it’s an inferno!”, they exclaimed
“No worries, it’s my motherland,” I claimed.
What is an “identity?
I don’t know for certainty
But, it’s a pity
If one has lost that identity.
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
Original (2.8.2007)
2 comments:
lone wa khan sar lo ya par tal khin byar. I m a burmese student going college in US. Poemscorner.com is a website for Burmese lieterature of all kinds. Please share your poems or expereince with us. We r also trying to publish a Please pay us a visit. My contact email is gigaecho@gmail.com if u have any Qs.
we r trying to publish a collection of Burmese stories/poems organized by Poemscorner.com whose webmaster is a burmese guy. plz mail me at gigaecho@gmail.com if u r interested to submit stories or poems. thank you very much par naw. comment shay twar tar sorry par.
Post a Comment