September 2, 2008

Luxury of Leisure

I once read Theikpan Maung Wa
About his life at Tada-U Inwa
When he was an ICS on job-training
Many future parents-in-law came claiming.

He led then a good life
Free from struggle and strife
Breakfast to dinner was a delight
He was pampered till night.

I remember his article as “Luxury”
“See-Sein” in Burmese terminology
I appreciate it as his best soliloquy
It struck in my heart as “sheer luxury”.

I’m having it right now
Nescafe and croissant in the morn
Balachang Rosalle soup and pork at luncheon
I ate other Burmese food at sundown.

Croissant was no mean bread
China’s Paramount Leader Deng coveted
He brought it from Paris to Beijing
He fed his old comrades within his means.

They all were croissant lovers
They ate it in France with ardour
When they were communist cadres
It was before China was taken over.

I have been drinking Nescafe
Since 1960 without milk or honey
It stimulates my thinking and hobby
It still does as a mental remedy.

In between the meals I watched television
It’s full of news, sport stories and information
When tired I just slept on the sofa cushion
I would have a cup of tea on awakening.

This tea is made in Burma
Freeze-dried and packed like Waifer
Manufactured for mobility and aroma
I like it as a tasty treasure.

All Burmese foods are available in Sydney
From Nga-Yant-Chauk- Kyaw to Nga-Yoke-Si
Fried Rosalle, Mango Sanap, Pea Hin-Yi
There’s an assortment of sheer Burmese delicacies.

I would take a shower on sunny days
I would change dress and walk my way
To the Pacific Square and Maroubra Bay
I have fresh air and rejuvenated, I must say.

At other times I write poetry
It’s simply a soliloquy
I compose my thoughts in melody
Words become music notes threaded in harmony.

Writing poetry brings immense pleasure
It marks the supreme moment of leisure
You forget whatever is distressing your nature
You achieve great accomplishment as a writer.

All my works in Kuching are done by friends
Drs Soe Lwin and Tin Moe, my old students
They take care of my mails, money and documents
Nan and I now have some time so pleasant.

Nan takes care of my daily life
From breakfast to bed at night
She reminds me of taking medicine
I have to take it regularly in precision.

She sometime cooks Mohinga
To be eaten together
Daughters, friends and mother father
All enjoy the feast as fair.

Also she made special dishes
Like Soon-Tan soup and tongues of pigs
Cooked in oil with spices
We all ate at harts’ delight.

Our daughters provide us with daily comfort
From a cozy abode to daily dote
How we are faring as in Olympian sport
They shower us with money and Metta most.

I’ve cut off the emails
To prevent them interfering my way
My mind is as clean as clay
I would call it a day.

It’s the luxury I enjoy
It’s the first time in my life
I never had such primes
I’m fortunate I can enjoy it alright.

Dr Maung Maung Nyo
31.8.2008 (original)

No comments: