Serenade at Seventy

I’m surprised that I live this long
I would be seventy after this birthday now
Not in English norm but in Chinese measure
When birth itself is counted as one year.
As you know I was born in Monywa
Busiest town after Mandalay in Upper Burma
Situated on the east bank of Chindwin River
It’s famous for Ledi Sayadaw and others.
My father was a member of the Dhobamar
My mother was a typical Myanmar
He fought for independence of Burma
She fought for our education and our welfare.
My parents schooled me to the end
I had the best education possible then
I won the scholarship at standard seven
I attended Mandalay premedical haven.
I entered the University of Rangoon
I took part in all its activities soon
Stay in Mandalay Hall was good fortune
My university life was really a boon.
I have a sojourn in Mandalay
It was a medico for 3 years’ stay
It portrayed me as a student activist
I led social and reading club politics.
I returned to Rangoon in final years
To continue my activities so far
To uplift the cause of the poor
I also studied hard for my future.
There were romances in final years
I was lured by love and laughter
After graduation I became a military doctor
New experiences were real adventures.
I treated patients for healing sake
Never for name and money to make
I also taught to students first aids
Teaching, reading made me feel great.
I trained at the BMH hospital wards
I was doing my duties always superb
My superiors were satisfied enough
State scholarship was thrust into my grasp.
I was sent to the Shan State
I took part in many fights at stake
To repel the KMT and rebel renegades
Treating civilians and soldiers alike was great.
I wrote stories and articles on medicine
For lay people’s education and participation
In all health activities of the nation
I made them participate in health mission.
I was selected as a scholar at 24
Destined to UK as a WHO fellow
How fortunate I was, they say so
I thank my mentor and teachers of yore.
I had a first class training in London
My supervisor was a magnificent madam
Only female anatomy professor at the time
She was President of Anatomy Society to shine.
I have been to many universities in UK
I have met many anatomists of the day
I learned a lot in teaching and research
I got a Ph.D. as a reward.
Ph.D. is the higher degree a university offers
To a student whose research and endeavor
Is up to the mark of authentic teachers
It recognizes one as an educational leader!
Jobs were offered to me in Britain
A Saudi friend also maintained
A medical school was opened there
I may get a job there easier and better.
But, I returned to my country
Opportunities were plenty
For teaching research and social reform
I was young and full of forms.
I was appointed professor in the age 30s
I joined professor rank as rarity
But I really tried hard in my field
I initiated many postgraduate degrees.
I started sex education in Burma
Dr Ba Than lent me his favour
He wrote a foreword in my first endeavour
“Science, Sex and Marriage’ has been a best seller.
I supported students’ activities
Both sport and literary necessities
Also other extracurricular activities
I planned to promote perfect personalities.
No doubt there were difficulties
As regards examination and exigencies
There had been indulgences and inefficiencies
A strict stalwart had to face insolence and insurgencies.
Sincere people valued my contributions
I was sent in many state study delegations
I trained in the science of medical education
I was the first to get a degree in the latest vocation.
I have been offered promotions
More than once in my profession
But, I was happy in my position
A professor can do a lot for education.
I have a devoted wife
She has sacrificed her life
Fight for me and the family
I am very happy.
My daughters are dainty and daring
They are hungry for their education
They succeeded in getting good occupation
I have full satisfaction.
On looking back I have done a lot
For my people with what they got
In medical and lay education need to be taught
Social and political activities as were wrought.
Between the rulers and the ruled
I was always sided with the people
Some overt, some covert, others obscure
But my activities are for people to be sure.
A man is born in a day
He would also die one day
He does not know where he comes from
He also has no idea to go after life now.
What is important in life?
It’s full of strife
Age seventy is not a big prize
It is also not a small size.
My English friends used to ask me
If I had done some thing fully
“Will you like to repeat it?” duly
“Yes, I will!” I would answer
It’s the same for my life so far
It’s a most satisfying life ever.
I have met many co travelers
Some perished in the first quarter
Others limp to the last leg further
Ageing, disease, death is the determiner
No one can escape the law of nature
Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta is always there
No one can escape from her
Oh, let me have a shorter sojourn in Samsara!
N.B.: Dhobama = Our Burman Association: Its members were called Thakhin (Master)
Anicca = Impermanence, Dukkha = Suffering, Anatta = Not mine
Samsara = Cycle of births and rebirths
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
18.7.2008 (original)
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
No comments:
Post a Comment