June 20, 2009

Life is lively leisurely and luxurious!

(Dr Maun Maung Nyo)


(The Sydney Harbour Bridge in May 2009, Australia)


I flew back from Sydney to Kuching

On end of May with my wife accompanying

To take up the UNIMAS teaching job again

We’re subject to checks for swine flu strain

But we came out with no need to complain

The journey was just like a game!


(Drs MMN & NOM with Daughters Yupar and Ei on Mother's Day)


My wife and I felt light and gay

We ate and drank all food on the way

Tea, coffee, fruit juices and Satay

Biryani, Nasi Lamak, fried noodles all day

We were happy healthy and gay

Immigration and Customs Officials eased our way.


(Golden Dome Mosque as Seen from the Merdeka Palace Hotel, Kuching)


Friends welcomed us at the Kuching Airport entrance

Smiling shouting and sharing sweet sentiments

Drs Tin Win, Soe Lwin and Saw Aung Hla Win

Accompanied b y their wives except Soe Lwin

His better half was back in Yangon

She was healing her father for forlorn.


(Drs MMN & NOM at Sydney Airport Before Boarding)


We put up at the Merdeka Palace Hotel

A well-known five star hotel so fair

Connected with the Malay Independence Struggle

We saw the photos of Prince Philip and the noble


(Malay Independence, Merdeka Celebrations at Which Prince Philip Attends)


Attending the Independence Celebrations

It was at the beginning of the Malay Federation

We’re enjoying the hospitality of the UNIMAS offering.


(Drs MMN & NOM inside the Merdeka Palace Hotel, Kuching)


A new apartment has been set for us

At the Chonglin Plaza high up

It’s the tallest building in town

With 18 floors raised above the ground

Every one can see it from the city around

We enjoy the breeze and bright sun every morn.


(Kuching City Seen from Our Apartment; Background High-rise Wisma

Saberkas, One in front of it is the Faculty of Medicine, UNIMAS)


When we go out for dinner in town

Friends accompanying along

Waiters and waitresses greet us aplomb

They treat us like long lost relative come around

Gesturing and gesticulating their elated emotions

We feel warm and winsome eating in the familiar location.


(Kuching City as Seen to the West of our Apartment)


When we reported for duty on third June like Monday morning

The Dean spoke as though he was receiving a high delegation

Coming from a far away land to offer a high valued thing

He addressed us affectionately with high esteem

We felt like very important, innovative and pristine

It’s such feeling that makes us work for the UNIMAS gleam.


(Kuching City and Mountain Seen from our Apartment to the West)


Faculty’s secretary, staff and students salute us smiling

They greet us grinning like getting gold in the gravel stream

Some smile at us speaking sweetly of their feelings


(Dinner with Friends in Kuching L to R: Drs Soe Lwin, Soe Min Htut,

Saw Aung Hla Win, Lucy Kyaw Mya, NOM, MMN)


How much they value our service, efforts and contribution

In the success of the medical programme of this institution

We really feel their honest words of appreciation.


(Friends at Dinner wit Us in Kuching: L to R: Drs NOM, Phyu Phyu Aung,

Yin Yin Nwe, Tin Win, Myat Moe, MMN)


I lost my Malaysian driver license during the travel

Without it I would be really in big trouble

But I told this to the post office that renews it

The lady there sympathized with me and issued a slip

That I can drive for a year without a hitch

But the police certified me and I got a brand new license chit.


(Gawai Festival Treat at Home with a Bidayu Lecturer in Kuching)


I was able to buy a new car with the new license

As a guarantor for my wife’s purchasing

It’s a favored hire- purchase scheme

The bank was offering us as a joint team

No other people were offered for the time being

We feel gratified and grateful for their undue undertaking.


(India Street Market in Early Morning in Kuching)


All the facilities are forwarded to me

Including my old room, computer and internet facility

But I don’t have time for chat and surfing for friendly

I have to prepare for lectures, PBL and questions timely


(The Five Star Merdeka Palace Hotel in Kuching)


Students shout with joy when I enter the lecture theatre

I really feel very welcome in this arena

I don’t have any thing to worry about here

Be home, telephone, food, facility or fun fair

I’m buoyed by the best of benefits bestowed on me every where

I must say I’m more than happy to be working again as fresh air.


(Dr Nan Ommar in front of a painting Inside the Merdeka Palace Hotel)


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

18.6.2009 (Original)


Note: Biryani = Indian style rice steam-cooked with meat, chicken or lamb and spices

Nasi Lamak = Malay white rice eaten with boiled egg, fried fish and cucumber

No comments: