The Bliss
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
When I was a school boy in Monywa
I read the writings of Theikpan Maung Wa
Articles, anecdotes and criticisms of literature
What I liked most was the “Bliss”, a short saga.
(Theikpan Maung Wa in the Khit San Pon Pyin Mya)
He was then a township officer in training
Just returned from England with ICS for gaining
A full-fledged ICS, elite and English-like with power
A golden prince just fallen from the sky of Devata!
(Thanbuddhay Cedi in Monywa)
What did he do then? Every day arisen
Took a shower and ate English breakfast at seven
Chauffeured to the Commissioner Office every morn
Studied the British Bureaucracy in Burma at its norm
Shared lunch with officers and commissioner to nurture
He become a cogwheel of the British Empire to further.
(Theikpan Maung Wa)
He played golf in the afternoons
In the company of civil officers and tycoons
Sharing small talks and tidbits about the people
The Queen, the Prince of Wales and his retinue
Never politics, but just about the people who ruled
Then, he would enjoy a sumptuous dinner through.
(Sagaing Kaungmudaw Pagoda)
There were so many invitations for lunch and dinner
Every father of the bride- to-be tried to be a winner
He was then the most eligible bachelor in the region
He did not have time to accept all such invitation
Let alone agreed to the proposal for a particular bride
He just had to relax with whiskey and laughter at night.
(Mandalay Moat, Fortress and Hill)
Such was the bliss of Maung Wa
I always admire his vivid saga
Now, I’m having similar happiness
A windfall that I have not expected
By resting from the rigors of rowdiness
I thus soundly slept!
(Away from the barking dogs, I say not!!)
(Chindwin River at Sunset in Monywa)
Thus I no longer hear the voices
Those were not the nicest
Coming from half-baked people
Unheard of etiquette and manners in full
Like six blind Indian boys and an elephant
They are also sick, sinister and delinquent.
(The Ananda Temple in Pagan or Bagan)
Some could not differentiate a joke from a jeer
They thought habits of a Chinese mother very clear
Racist view of a censure like a yellow banana
But, these jokes are all to see in the bloggers’ world
Like sparkling twinkling stars in a darkened night
It just shows their guilty conscience and inner fright.
Some did not know signs and symbols
Like a cross so simple
That may denote Jesus Christ or Red Cross
But surely it’s not medical symbol so gross!
As the staff and the snake has been
It‘s world wide logo for the medical profession.
(University of Medicine Mandalay, IMM, Logo)
(University of Medicine 2, Yangon ,IM2, Logo)
(University of Medicine 1, IM1, logo)
Many have left the country of their birth or upbringing
They have prospered in the country of adoption
But they have not been fully assimilated
They feel they are segregated or intimidated
That are projected to people for telling the truth
They thus would resort to foul language and abuse.
(The Myazedi Stone Inscriptions)
Some accused me of failing them
When they were sitting for 2nd MB exam
That I failed many of them in anatomy
Not telling many who passed and got D
But the crux of the matter is that
Exam results are decided by boards held.
(Scene of Pagan or Bagan, Burma)
Some growled that I was anti-student
How could a teacher be so mutant?
All teachers are student lovers
They sacrifice for their learners
Like a nursing mother dog to her litters
Teachers look after students even bitter.
(King Kyanzittha or Htihlaingshin)
Some even accused me of anti-Chinese or racist
As though I’m a staunch Burman chauvinist!
How wrong they are, never so erred
Many of my friends are Chinese, Sir
Some of my teachers are of Chinese blood
Chinese leaders and sages also earn my regard.
(Shwezigon Pagoda in Nyaung U, near Pagan, built by Kyanzittha)
Some accused me of being a communist
For defending Mao and socialism in polemics
When someone says everything bad about China
Of course, it’s wrong to blame any one personna
Mao was not Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great
He was just a leader of the Chinese Communists at stake.
(Portrait of Mao Zedong in Tiananmen Square)
Some wanted to shoot me down as in OK Corral
Gun to gun and bullet to bullet as in a Western duel
But I’m not a cowboy asking for their head or heart
I was in fact teaching and preaching like a Boddhisat
How could they shoot me in blatant bullish anger?
I’m a man pointing to a country without censor!
(Buddha Statue in Pagan)
Some even challenged me in question and answer
Like in a court of law putting me in witness stand to endure
Masquerading as a mild mannered motherly reporter
In fact she was a suicide bomber marauder for ever;
A friend warned me of her ulterior motives
I was saved in a matter of impending minutes.
(Shwedagon Pagoda)
Some still blame me for citing patriotism often
That I used to take refuge under the country haven
Without empathizing with the expatriates refugees
But what is wrong with my strategy or sincerity?
I have a country to love and I must defend her
It’s sincerity and attitude that matter ever!
(Quacking Cracking Ducks in a Stream)
I do not take any offence they all made
It’s the norm of nature in all grades
From quiet censure, back bites and open verbal warfare
That a preacher, teacher or a leader encounters
When the truth is uttered without break
All culpable criminals will be in rancorous rage.
(Drs MMN and NOM at FMHS, UNIMAS)
Now I take refuge in my private world
Far away from the noisy and naughty dulls
Far from the maddening crowd, so to say
I have peace of mind and plenty of play
Reading, writing, eating and sleeping sound
I’m really enjoying and satisfied with this round!
(The Shane Movie Poster)
Some called me to come back like Shane
It’s a Western film entitled with the good name
When the bullies, bastards and bulls were tamed
By a sincere simple straight shooter called Shane
Played by Alan Ladd who disappeared after the fight
But, I’m not him and would still be there after the respite!
(A Water Hyacinth Flower, Ma Beda, Pan Pan Hlet Pe)
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
September 4, 2009 (original)


















2 comments:
hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....
Hi,
Thank you.
Yours sincerely,
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
Post a Comment