September 9, 2009

A Solemn Self Satisfaction

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


(Faculty of Medicine, Rangoon University from 1923 to 1964,

Now University of Medicine 1, formerly IM 1, Yangon, Myanmar)

I met a Dean of Medicine today

He requested me to say

Efficiency of some lecturers in his constituency

Trusting my judgment and integrity

One I did has been promoted professor already.


(Professor Maung Maung Nyo M.B., B. S., Ph.D. London,

M.A. Med.Edu., Michigan State, M.D., FOMERAD, USA)

One candidate I know too well

He had worked with me so fair

Teaching, tutoring and training students

Shepherding at IM1 to prevent truants

He also passed Master of Anatomy to dwell.


(Teaching Staff of IM1 Anatomy Department, 1985 from whom Many

Have gained PG Degrees in anatomy and medicine )

Another candidate is a lady from Burma

She has been lecturing long in Malaysia

Taught and tutored for more than 20 years

Much longer than at her Alma mater

She is also a fine researcher.


(Dr Nan Ommar being Ushered in For M.Sc Anatomy

at IM1 Convocation, December 1985)

Then, he asked me about a physician

Who is quiet but skilled in his profession

Reading and researching leading a quiet life

I told him he is such a silent studious type

But a good teacher and devoted alright.


(Dr Nan Ommar Receiving M.Sc. Anatomy Scroll from

the then Rector of IM1 Professor Dr Hla Myint FRCP)

I told him I know him very well too

As I taught them anatomy to pass through

Before they embarked upon clinical training

As well as their standard in medical education

I have been a in part responsible for maintaining.


(Dr Maung Maung Nyo with His Supervisor Professor Ruth Bowden

M.B., B.S., D.Sc., FRCS England, OBE at Christmas 1968)


Yes, I recommended two physicians

The other being a lady with conviction

That fair sex can do better in medicine

As well as a promising pathologist by profession

She was my student and colleague in education

I strongly recommended them for promotion.


( University of Medicine Mandalay, formerly IMM and

Branch Medical Faculty of Rangoon University from 1954 to 1959)

The Dean said they promoted a lecturer

That I recommended to full professor

They were satisfied with his service and work

Staff and students also like his teaching and research

He found all my former students efficient and superb.


(Cover of Respects-Paying Students Magazine 2008 of IM 2)

I was glad to hear his words

They are praising my works

As a teacher of undergraduates

As well as a trainer of postgraduates

All have become outstanding as such.


(Logo of the Burma Medical Association, Myanmar)

I’m satisfied equally well

Better to hear some body tell

Than you yourself sell

A professor has trained so many professors


(Dr Ba Than Surgeon, Anatomist, Medical Educationist and GOM of

Burma's Medicine)


Including those now teaching in Burma

In anatomy, surgery, ob/gyn. et cetera

Not counting all other medical graduates and lecturers

What in life is more satisfying than this old professor?

Dr Maung Maung Nyo

9.09.2009 (original)

No comments: