Merry Christmas and Happy Karen New Year!
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
I’m used to enjoying the Christmas Dinner
Since I was invited by my indulgent mentor
In London each year when I lived there
Professor Bowden feasted me with care.
(Dr Maung Maung Nyo at Professor Bowden's Christmas Dinner)
I have been out of London for over forty years
Professor Bowden has left us to shed tears
I still mourn for her death since 2002
I myself am over seventy to follow her due.
(Dr Saw Aung Hla Win and Dr Lucy Kyaw Mya in Their Apartment)
Lucy invited us to her Christmas Dinner
To be held today on 16th December
Only the Burmese friends in Kuching are invited
So we can talk freely on any topic without regret.
(L to R: Dr Lucy, Katie, Dr Ba Kyaw Dr SAHW, Dr MMN, Dr NOM)
Lucy Kyaw Mya wears a Karen dress
A red Longyi and Thindaing black
She is sweet, smiling and gorgeous
Her husband too is gregarious and generous.
(Dr Lucy, Mrs Sw Win, Dr SAHW, Dr Saw Win)
We take photographs at the start
Single couple and group as such
All smiling speaking cheering and care free
We all forget we are away from home over sea.
(L to R: Lucy, Katie, Dr Ba Kyaw, Dr SAHW)
They entertain us to dinner
Roti Canan and chicken ginger
Fish soup and pea vegetables curry
We all eat like ravens in a hurry.
(All the Guests are smiling)
Lime and onion salad is my favourite
Lucy and Nan Ommar did it for my sake
Four or five helpings of Roti I ate
It’s a memorable Christmas Dinner to date.
(Dr Nan Ommar and Dr MMN)
Professor Bowden was my mentor and master
I taught Lucy to be a teacher and researcher
I have one Christian above and one below me
I’m fortunate to be able to enjoy their charity.
(Father and Son Are Medical Graduates of IM 2)
Many Burmese came to enjoy what they offer
Shan, Karen, Rakhine, Chinese and Bamar
No one talks about race or religion ever
All are congenial and courteous to each other.
( Dr Saw Aung Hla Win and Dr Lucy Kyaw Mya in Karen National Dress)
What a simple sumptuous dinner today we have!
We all have delicious food and peaceful mind set
Neither difference in religion or race has any effect
Christmas spirit and Karen New Year make our hearts at rest.
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
16.12.2009 (original)


No comments:
Post a Comment