December 9, 2009

The Traveler

Dr Maung Maung Nyo

I’m a traveler since I was born

Crying and clad in nature’s gown

Mother’s milk and nurture aplomb

Father taught me how to walk along

Now both father and mother are gone

People think I’m still going strong.


(Entrance Gate to Thambuddhay Pagoda, Monywa)

However, I’m tired after traveling a long journey

From kindergarten to high school and university

Reading writing playing praying and prying for maturity

To educate myself and reach the goal successfully

Overcoming the obstructions and obvious oligarchy

I have been on my own since joining the military.


(L to R: Professors Daw Hla Kyi, Kyee Paw, Thein Thein Myint, Ye Myint)

I worked in hospital day and night

No monetary award for saving a life

Satisfaction enriched my heart all right

But I have to mourn for any loss of life

A surgeon’s life is full of fun and fight

But your life has to go on upright.


(Kandawgyi or Royal Lake, Pyin Oo Lwin or Maymyo)

I saw one surgeon operating day and night

He spoke honestly of his opinion forthright

He had fought the KMT at the risk of his life

Once cut off from own army several nights

Only an old Danu couple saved him in Shan State

Another socialite surgeon was given a higher grade.


(Mongton, Eastern Shan State)

I also was transferred to the front line

I took it as a solemn sacred duty of mine

To defend my country against aggression

To repel the aggressors back to the origin

I’m not the first to shoulder this duty

Bala Minhtin and Kyaw Zaw had soldiered it duly.


(GoekHteik Railway Bridge over the Viaduct)


I learn a lesson for being a good soldier

Bala Minhtin was scorched and tortured

For supporting peace treaty with China

When Minister Mahasithu did it for Burma

Kyaw Zaw also removed from Burma Army

Without trial as he belongs to the CPB..


(Centre with Blue Tunic: Ex-Brigadier Kyaw Zaw on 90th Birthday)


In those days Socialist Party ruled the country

Those against it were put in the quandary

Many anti-Socialists disappeared day or night

Some were killed by their thugs in broad day light

Thakhin Hla Din Gyi of Pyinman gave up his life

Myeik Ma Po and Min Hla’s four disappeared likewise.


(Panglong Column in Southern Shan State)


I was fortunate not being in the midst of the fight

Between the SUF Tat Oo and DSO might

It was a proxy fight between the Red and White

Red were rebellious students and White’s the right

Meaning Socialist supported scheming socialites

They were lured with luxuries and jobs for life.


(General Aung San Speaking in Panglong in February 1947)


I was grieved by suicide of some students

Who could not afford school requirement

For lack of enough fund and family insurance

I remember Ma Tin Hla at Rangoon University

Tin Maung Lay at Mandalay medical faculty

They committed suicide as escape from poverty.


(Dr MMN and Dr Nan Ommar)


I have supported SUF for student rights and equality

Never belonging to their inner side or outer periphery

I know some were not true to student cause and activity

They became turncoats to grab the opportunity

N.Z. and K. M. their names I remember for treachery

Tun Kyi, Ba Swe Lay etc gave up their lives for pure policy.


(Dr MMN with Ph.D. London Gown)


I have served my country for thirty seven years

Twelve for military and twenty five for academia

Not including ten years for UNIMAS Malaysia


(Professor MMN and A/P Dr Nan Ommar at UNIMAS, Kuching)


Teaching hundreds of medical students each year

Opening up postgraduate courses and diplomas

Not to please the government or superiors

I did it as my duty to my country’s future.


(Convocation Hall, University of Rangoon)


I have met so many fellow travelers on my way

Some have overtaken me though they were snail

A fast ferry or flying friend pulled them away

Some ran fast but were hampered by high gale

They do not know how to hide or avoid the sways

I’m fortunate I could trudge on in my own way.


(Institute of Medicine 1, Prome Road, Yangon)


Three score and a decade is quite long

Not as long as a hundred years forlorn

Not as short as forty years to begin life

But enough time to watch the demise

Of my parents, teachers and friends

Hooray! Only enough time left for my ends

To wind up and achieve my life's objective

That is to make my self worthy and patriotic!


(L to R: Dr Tin Moe Nwe, Dr NOM, Maung Swan Htet, Dr MMN, Dr Soe Lwin)


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

9.12.2009 (original)

No comments: