November 28, 2009

It’s a Pity!

Dr Maung Maung Nyo

I’m a fan of Ledi Pandita U Maung Gyi

A sage from Monywa up country

He said “Tut..Tut..Tut..” as reward

To those who could not utter a word

About their origin occupation or birth

I also feel pity for them as such!


(Ledi Stone Inscriptions Where Ledi Pandita U Maung Gyi Studies)


I’m an admirer of Dr Than Tun

Who said a person is doomed

If he does not know history

To be so naïve as an idiocy

Not worthy of a dutiful citizen

He can’t even sing national anthem.


(Ledi Sayadaw D.Litt., Teacher of Ledi Pandita U Maung Gyi)


I do not wish to be a pitiable man

A subject of censure and scam

Not knowing this and that of the land

Where born and brought up to stand

As a man and dutiful citizen, Nay!

I must read and treat all, so to say!


(Map of Burma Showing Ledo or Stilwell Road Passing Through the

Hukong Valley that connects India and Tagaung Near Bhamo))


I always thought doctors are learned men

Capable of treating and educating them

When his patients or masses need him

When disease, discrimination or oppression sting

Or suppressed by oligarchs and others' scheme

Doctors should help them to relieve as a mission.


(Jade Naga or Dragon of Burma)


However, doctors themselves are helpless

They do not know where their ancestors have

Settled down, come from or originated as

Mimicking the ridicules and rants of the West

That all are descended from recent migrants

They’re no more native or naturals than vagrants.


(Archaeological Map of Tagaung now Situated on the East Bank of

the River Irrawaddy)




(Map of Old Tagaung Being Excavated)


They laugh at the story of Tagaung and Naga

“Burma began at Tagaung” is just a fabled saga

“Sakyan Connection” is an inflated mere invention

To upgrade the lineage of the Burmese king

Burmese History is nothing, but a fiction

I feel indignant when hearing such derision.


(Lion Throne, Thihathana Palin, of Konbaung Dynasty at Mandalay)


But anthropologists say Naga are not snakes

They are people of remote Indian states

That worship sinuous snakes and dragons

As powerful beings human can look upon

By Just ordinary peasants and villagers

They are indeed Burmese originators.


(The Nagayon Pagoda or Buddha Protected by a Snake Dragon)


It’s possible Indian immigrants invade

Through Hukong valley to Old Burma state

Rishis royals and roughnecks of all grades

Mixing managing and marrying local maids

Thus a new city state of a mixed race is born

It could be the famed and fabled Tagaung.


(RGH or The Rangoon General Hospital Where Many Burmese

Doctors Train)


Some complained of writing about the past

Even role model doctors of old already passed

Drs Ba Than Min Sein Yin May Shwe Tin and all

They don’t want to honor or recall

Forgetting medicine is full of past heroes

Hippocrates Galen Fleming Ziwaka etc glow.


(First Batch M.B.,B.S. Graduates of IM2 with Profs Shwe Tin and

Dr Khin Myint Myint)


Take examples from Burma and others living or dead

Sun Yat-sen Che Guavara and Mahathi Mohammad

Leading the people for peace democracy and liberty

Health is just one facet of a multifaceted society

I salute all those doctors sacrificing for the people

Why can’t one emerge from our country too?


(Myanmar Medical Association Building on Theinbyu Road, Yangon)


I read in one blog about peoples of Burma

That Bamar are no more entitled to her

Than the Indian, Chinese and Rohingya

As they are also new comers to the area

The latter can also love her really dear

You give equal opportunity to be clear!


(Bust of Hippocrates, Father of Modern Scientific Medicine)


Some doctors still say possessively

That they have left the country

Not on their own accord, but forced

By the cruel conditions of Masala Period

They are now new citizens of the new land

Yet, they claim the country still belongs to them.


(Hippocrates Oath for Medical Doctors)


I’m not an historian or high court lawyer

But according to the Burmese laws altogether

Certain people do not belong to be here

Not entitled to a full citizenship dear

Of mixed races, Chinese, Indian and Rohingya

Some may claim it as Bamar with concord later .


(Map of Burma with States and Divisions)


Burmese speakers constitute 75 % of population

Enough to call it as the Burmese nation

So Burma or Myanmar is an appropriate name

Like France and Germany Michael Aung-Thwin claims

Why is the rest making noises for name change?

Burma or Myanmar is an historic honorable name!


(The Great Shwedagon Pagoda, a National Symbol of Burma/Myanmar)


I’m not a politician either

But a dutiful citizen fighter

Born and brought up in Burma

Voted and voiced for it wherever

I have a chance and duty together
“Burma is for its citizens for ever”


(Dr Ba Than, Father of Burmese Medicine, and a Patriot)


This is not a racist view

It’s nationalist as it’s due

Burmans have been looked down

From the 88 upheaval to now

But we’re an invincible race

We’ll regain our honor if we face

Our problems with courage and grace

Then, we’ll achieve our rightful place!


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

29.11.2009 (original)

2 comments:

Alvin S. C. Lee said...

I pondered about something similar in http://karaweikthan.blogspot.com/2007/08/we-are-of-one-race.html

Another interesting connection I have noted is http://karaweikthan.blogspot.com/2008/03/tibeto-burmese-connection.html

We are indeed in a 'mass' (some may see it as 'mess') of inter-connections!
:)

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dear Sumedha,
Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Maung Maung Nyo