March 4, 2010

Is Ignorance Bliss

Dr Maung Maung Nyo



(Mandalay Hill, Moat and Fort)

There’s a saying amiss

Ignorance is bliss

Really it is

I find them plenty to deal with.


(Thanbuddhay Pagoda, Monywa)

Some Buddhists think

Upekkha is its hint

When a learned man denies

They say they’re blind!


(Kaunghmudaw Pagoda, Sagaing)


Some non-Buddhists say

There is only one way, their way

There is only one God, their God

Only He knows all in their thought.


(Pagan at Sunset with Silhouettes of Pagodas)


He wants to learn it from others

By asking silly questionnaires

When true answers are provided

He declines to accept t them right.

(The Great Shwedagon Pagoda)


I have wandered in this land long

I did not find anything strong

In philosophy, argument and premise

What a land so barren and brutish!

(Buddha at the End of Buddhist Lent Coming Down from

Tavareinsa Abode of Dewas)


An English man says with derision

Two Burmese make three teams

I did not believe it so before

Now I know why he says so

There is so much ignorance galore!


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

3.3.2010 (Original)

2 comments:

Alvin S. C. Lee said...

Ignorance is blatantly blind 'bliss'
Indifference is heartlessly devoid of passion
Equanimity is compassionate dispassion

When 'Upekkha' is used as an excuse for Avijja,
one inadvertently allows for self-deception and its accompanying Dukkha.

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dear Sumedha,
Thanks a lot. Your words are full of wisdom. Take care.

Yours sincerely,

D Maung Maung Nyo