May 14, 2009

Back to My Wonderland

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


Long before I left UNIMAS environment

Friends gave precious parcels and presents

Some sent cooked cuisine dishes

They tendered them with best wishes.


(Dinner with Burmese Friends in Kuching: L to R Facing Camera:

Drs Tin Win, MMN, NOM, Marci, MMOhn, Kyi Kyi Myint, Nyunt Lwin)


A friend gave me a beer a day

He wanted me to be easy and gay

His wife cooked beef in Arabian way

I ate it with relish the whole day.


(Dinner Friends in Kuching: L to R: Drs Kyi Kyi Myint, Nyunt Lwin,

Soe Lwin, Tin Moe Nwe,Htwe Htwe Sein, Kitty, Ba Kyaw,Nyi Nyi Naing,

Khin Tun, Julie (Mrs Khin Tun), Sein Win, Mrs Sein Win)


On Tuesdays, Marci made marvelous meals

She cooked marinated meats in Mandalay style still

Tomatoes in fish paste and belly pork in Pon-Ye-Gyi

Supplemented cooked oily prawns, I ate a big meal.


(At the Famous Rock Road Seafood Restaurant L to R: Drs Soe Lwin,

Tin Moe Nwe,NOM, MMN)


Yin Yin Nwe was famous for farm food

She cooked three-layered pork with bamboo shoots

There was mixed vegetables in a rosalle sour soup

All produce of her farm, it was delicious and good!


(At the Farewell Dinner for the First Dean Professor Syed, showing his back,

L to R: Registrar ,Prof. Pratibha, A/P Dr NOM, A/P Dr Manju Talekar)


For breakfast, my better half prepared

Nescafe or tea with toast and Claire

Fruit juice, fresh fruits or fruit cakes etc

I had a great fruit food bonanza.


(At South Coast, Australia L to R: Yupar Nyo, NOM, MMN, Ei Sabai Nyo)


Meals were more variable at lunch

We could choose a variety to munch

Barbecued beef, chicken rice or Byriani Brunch

Kolo Mee, Spaghetti or Satay and rice to crunch.


(At Farewell Dinner for MMN, L to R: Deputy Dean A/P Dr Hata,

Dean Tan Sri Prof. Taha, Deputy Dean Prof. Mohd Syafiq Abdullah)


One day, our Dean gave us a luncheon

It was a dinner-marathon

Lasting from noon to 3 PM on

Eight of us eating and speaking upon.


(VIP Visits to Kuching L to R: Drs Phyu Phyu Aung, Soe Lwin,

Tin Moe Nwe, NOM, MMN, Hla Yee Yee, Htin Aung)


It included the Dean and two Deputy Deans

Pratibhas couple, Viji, and two of us including

All retiring professors with good intentions

We made UNIMAS medical Faculty sheen.


(At Annual Faculty Dinner at FMHS, UNIMAS, Kuching:

L to R: NOM , MMN)


Drs Soe Lwin and Tin Moe took care of our unit

They would see it returned until finish

Besides providing transport while we’re in it

They also sent us to airport at courtesy gratis.


(A/P Dr NOM with Her Students who Displayed Their Research Findings)


Seeing off party at airport was a crowd

There was Dr Tin Win speaking aloud

His counter part Dr Ba Kyaw spoke just a bout

With two of us it was an eight-strong crowd.


(Prof. Dr MMN with Students of His PBL Group)


They carried our luggage to the ticket counter

There were ten suitcases to be sent over

5000 Ringgits for overweight, they wondered

Important thing was smooth travel, I muttered.


(L to R: NOM, Ei Sabai Nyo, MMN, Yupar Nyo in Sydney)


We have done what we have to do

On arrival at the daughters’ abode

For our future life for two

We’re sure of reaching our hope.


(NOM and MMN in Sydney)


I temporarily cut off the AMIM link

Just before I left for a holiday stint

It was a kind of voluntary miss

I had peace of mind and bliss.


(MMN in Ph.D., London University Gown)


Now that my holiday is over

I have to return to my former post

With less responsibility and more honor

It’s the generosity of my host

Not only did they re-employ me further

They have extended my better half’s post

We have passed the stage of employee and employer

I’m very happy and grateful to the utmost!


(At Pagan Restaurant in Sydney)


Now I’m happy with the precious prospects

I will see my former students and prefects

I’ll oversee the running of my department

With a view to modifications and improvement

University has empowered me to that effect

To make suggestions for whatever I detect

They have given me a blank cheque (check)

Besides allowing me to see all my old friends

They’re waiting to welcome me with warm hands

O’ UNIMAS! I’m coming back to your wonderland!


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

15.05.2009 (original)


Note: PBL = Problem Based Learning

UNIMAS = Universiti Malaysia Sarawak

3 comments:

Nge Naing said...

ကၽြန္မငယ္ငယ္က ေဒါက္တာ ေမာင္ေမာင္ညိုနဲ႔ ေဒါက္တာ နန္းဥမၼာေရးတဲ့ ေဆးပညာဗဟုသုတေတြ အမ်ားႀကီးဖတ္ဖူးၿပီး ဗဟုသုတေတြ အမ်ားႀကီးရလို႔ သိပ္ၿပီး ေက်းဇူးတင္တယ္ ေလးလည္း သိပ္ေလးစားတယ္။ ႀကီးလာရင္ ဆရာ၀န္ျဖစ္ေအာင္ ႀကိဳးစားၿပီး လူေတြရဲ့ အသက္ကို ကယ္မယ္ ၿပီးေတာ့ ဒီလို ေဆးပညာဗဟုသုတေတြ ေရးၿပီးလည္း လူထုအတြက္ အက်ိဳးျပဳမယ္လို႔လည္း ရည္ရြယ္ခဲ့တယ္။ ဒါေပမယ့္ အေၾကာင္းအမ်ိဳးမ်ိဳးေၾကာင့္ ဆရာ၀န္ ျဖစ္ကံ မၾကံဳေပမယ့္ က်န္းမာေရး ဗဟုသုတေတြကိုေတာ့ ဆရာ၀န္ေတြေရးတဲ့ ဘေလာ့ဂ္တခုမွာ ၀င္ေရးၿပီး မွ်ေ၀ျဖစ္ေနတယ္။ ဆရာ၊ ဆရာမတို႔ ဓါတ္ပံုေတြကို ဒီဘေလာ့ဂ္မွာ မေမွ်ာ္လင့္ပဲ ေတြ႔ရတာ ၀မ္းသာလို႔ မဆံုးဘူး။ ဆစ္ဒနီမွာ ရိုက္ထားတဲ့ ဓါတ္ပံုေတြလည္း ပါတယ္ဆိုေတာ့ ဆစ္ဒနီမွာမ်ား ေရာက္ေနလားမသိဘူး။

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dar Nge Naing,
Thank you very much for your comment.
We are visiting Sydney to see our two daughters who are working and settled down, but we'll be going back to Kuching, Sarawak State, Malaysia soon.
The medical profession is highly looked upon and prized, but all other professions are also equally good like engineering, computer science, accountancy, journalism etc. Important thing is to serve the people.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Maung Maung Nyo

P.S.: I don't have Burmese fonts for typing so I typed in English.

Alvin S. C. Lee said...

Sayagyi,
Here is a useful link for ZAwgyi-One Burmese Web Text Editor. It is a web-based tool to type in burmese if you do not have a burmese keyboard available.

http://mysteryzillion.org/project/webtext/webtext.htmAlso on the same website, you can download Zawgyi-One fonts that is used in most burmese websites now.