The night the star falls

The night the star falls
(kye kyway thaw nya)
That night ...
Ko Tin Aye told me on phone,
"Ko Tin Aung passed away", my heart ached
"oh, a star has fallen...", i said, dazed.
Next day in the morning
Dr. Ba Tun and Ko Tin Nyunt
Came in to discuss what to do
Joining us at south okkalappa
Reminding us that "He was a people's writer!".
As he had told me before
"His body be cremated, his ashes'll be
entomed," I suggested
Everybody accepted in a body
And it was agreed.
I was instructed
To construct a tomb's model
I did well happily
His life, his philosophy
To be enshrined by architecture
At big base black marbles structure
Snatched from the remnants of Hmaing's tomb
Climbed upwards tapeing dome
One scarlet layer, then uppermost gold
The tip holds a glittering star!
The base denotes
Broad big masses of people
Black signifies deepest united force
Red means young militant activity
Star gleans for noble high ideal
All feel satisfied and yield
Architect Saya Shwe agreed to build.
At Kyandaw cemetery
1978, beside Ko Aung Gyaw's tomb
Bouquets of flowers aplomb
Teenage girls dare each other
Don flowers on their bosoms to my amazement
Reverend saya shin recited dhamma sacrament
That ascended in the air blessing
Kyandaw cemetery dressed in echo.
After entombing
Groups of relatives and friends
Paid respects and i, his sincerely
Adorned the fragnant red
"thaw-ka flower" Ko Ohn had handed
to his grave.
Bhamo Tin Aung
So well known among people
I do honour you!
(I almost cry whenever i read this poem. Bhamo Tin Aung was such a selfless, pennyless, dedicated, highly talented writer who lived for his country and people alone.)
Dagon Taryar (2.4.1998)
Translated by Dr. Maung Maung Nyo
No comments:
Post a Comment