On My 71st Birthday
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
My wife congratulates me today
“Happy Birthday, Dear,” she says
“Oh! Thank you Sweetheart,” I reply
It is my 71st Birthday that is on time.
(Dr MMN and Dr Nan Ommar or NOM)
Then I hear a message tone on my mobile
Comes clanging as expected as it chimes
From Ei Sabai Nyo living in Sydney home
Yupar Nyo has already called me by phone.
(Yupar Nyo and Ei Sabai Nyo, Our Two Daughters in Sydney)
The doorbell rings loudly a little later most
While taking breakfast with coffee and toast
Lucy and Saw Aung Hla Win greet me fast
They give me a bright birthday gift with a card.
(L to R: Drs Saw Moo K'Baw, MMN, NOM, Saw Aung Hla Win
and Lucy Kyaw Mya)
Then more doorbell rings and visitors
Drs Tin Moe Nwe and Soe Lwin appear
Saying sincere best wishes for greeting
That makes my life happy and pleasing.
(L to R: Drs Tin Moe Nwe or TMN, Soe Lwin, Khine Myat Min,
Saw Moo K'Baw or SMKB)
I then invite all of them to come at Lee's
With friends on Saturday in a posh eatery
For a selected special seafood pleasure
We’ll celebrate birthday lunch in leisure.
(I to R: Drs SMKB, MMN, NOM,SAHW, LKM)
The dinner is held at Kim Hock Lin’s place
A Chinese restaurant renowned for taste
Sea cucumber soup, fried butter prawn, roasted duck
Kuching special Tofu stew, stir fried fresh broccoli plus
Mixed veggies and steamed fish to eat with relish
Sweet Chinese tea and delicious dessert we finish.
(Dr Nan Ommar,NOM, in front of the Kim Hock Lin
Restaurant, Heusing, Kuching, Sarawak)
Dr Soe Lwin takes photos with passion
He shoots us in group in different session
His wife smiles with coy every time he clicks
Wai Wai Shein and Htwe Htwe Sein also flick
(Standing L to R: Drs TMN, Wai Wai Shein, Htwe Htwe Sein)
Drs Saw Mu Ka Paw and Khine complement his
It’s a merry mix of many races representing Myanmar
Shan, Karen, Rakhine, Bamar and Chinese like drama.
We eat we speak, we joke and we laugh
We exchange greetings and say words of love
They wish me, a happy birthday and a long life
They are enjoying the dinner with all their might.
On scrutinizing my 71 years in this world
I find it satisfying as well as saddening saga
Glad to have contributed in medical education
Sad for failing to raise people’s living condition.
(L to R: Wai Wai Shein, Lucy, Htwe Htwe Sein, TMN, Khine
Myat Min, Soe Lwin, SMKB, MMN, NOM)
I remember Dr Ba Than asking Professor Bowden
How many scientist professors she has trained then
She replied fifteen to twenty in about 20 years
I have trained almost the same in about 30 years.
(Kuching City with Landmark Golden Mosque)
So, I have not lived my life in vain
It’s full of fun, fight, failure and gain
I’m a fortunate man that lives with a fulfilled aim
Saluting five Anandaw-Anata for giving me a name
I thank you all, my friends and family, all the same
I wish and pray, in Samsara we all will meet again!
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
24.07.2010 (Original for My Birthday on 21.7.2010)
Note: The owner of Kim Hock Lin Restaurant is known as Lee.

2 comments:
Dear Saya,
I admire your delightful time celebrating the birthday.
I hope you would allow me to extend our warmest wishes for your birth day and pleasant future beyond.
I wish you could count on many of your pupils like me who are not scientist professors but clinicians serving many people through out the world day and night.
Many of us have chosen the active clinical service to humanity. I think it is mainly because of individual's dynamic personality and humility .
Would you let us join those prestigious acadamia in celebrating the great achievement of yours ?
I also envy Soe Lwin who appears enjoying your accompany all the time. Lucky him.
With best wishes,
thant syn ( 1984IM2)
Dear Dr Aung Thant Syn,
Thank you very much for your greetings and best wishes. Professor Bowden was a neurologist at Oxford before becoming a professor of anatomy in London. Scientist professor means both clinical and basic scientist who work in the field of medicine. Clinical practice, medical research and medical education are closely inter-related fields and I don't intend to separate one from the other.Only the bureaucrat and uneducated try to separate them.
Thank you.
Yours sincerely,
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
Post a Comment