July 30, 2010

I’m Proud of You

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


(Col. Ko Ko Gyi M.B.,B.S. (Rgn.), M.D. (Penn.), DPM.,
American Board Certified Internist and Psychiatrist, First Dean
and Rector of IM 2,Yangon)

I’m a fortunate man
Having met many friends
Who always welcome me
To help whatever I like to be.

(Cover of Saya Ouza Magazine IM2, 2008)

Tun Hla Pru visited me in Shan State
Asked me what I was doing on that date
Informed me of a possible further study
Thus I was selected for a London Ph.D.

(Dr Maung Maung Nyo with Ph.D. Gown of
the University of London)

Dean Colonel Ko Ko Gyi sent me to London University
Without material or money as a gift or bribe from me
To study full time with the best possible financial support
I was able to reside, research and write a Ph.D. thesis report.

(Professor Maung Maung Nyo with Staff and Students
of Anatomy,2nd MBBS Class, 1970)

He asked me how many anatomists I have trained
When we met after thirty years in Yangon again
About twenty to thirty anatomist scientists I claimed
He was very happy and said Burma has really gained.

(Institute of Medicne I, now University, Lanmadaw, Yangon)

Indeed, it was Burma has gained
No one in Burma has ever trained
That much before I returned from UK
I devoted my life to it up to this day.

(The Yangon General Hospital, Yangon)

What else have I done?
Primary FRCS and Part 1 MRCP MRCOG I have run
Besides teaching Basic Science Course for clinical Masters
From the first M. Med. Sc. Course in 1970 to recent parkers
Famed physician Khin Maung Win to surgeon kindly Khin Maung Aye
It includes many physicians, surgeons, pediatricians, O-Gs of today.

(Professor MMN at the IM 1 Convocation, 1985)

I thank Colonel Hla Han for appointing me professor
At a young age just over thirty without predecessor
So that I worked day and night for the success of my mission
To uplift the standard of medical education as guiding vision.

(Logo of the Myanmar Medical Association)

I contributed in the review of medical curriculum
Took part in the renewal of its doldrums
I examined the students with impartiality and discipline
I made the 2nd MB examination free from speculation.

(Dr Ba Than, GOM of Burmese Medicine)

I contributed to the postgraduate medical education
By teaching and designing with set rules and regulations
Under the supervision, consent and cooperation of Dr Ba Than
He was the Grand Old Man of Medicine then without comparison.

(Professor Ruth Bowden and Dr Maung Maung Nyo, London)

I initiated the master programme in anatomy
That has course and research fit sequentially
Professors Bowden and Keswani advised me
It’s the prototype copied by many a university.

(Nan Ommar B.Sc. Anatomy,1973)

An intercalated B.Sc. anatomy course was instituted
For the bright studious students to be initiated
In methodology and merits of medical research
So they would embark on research and academic path.

(Burmese Doctors in Kuching)

I sent abroad some of my postgraduates for Ph.D.
To see the latest labs and learn the latest technology
So far only six have been successful with Ph.D.
The rest masters with the rank of chair in pedagogy.

(L to R; Drs Soe lwin, Saw Aung Hla Win and Lucy Kyaw Mya)

Now all Burmese anatomy professors are my students
Assisted by able anatomists trained by me with diligence
No shortage of anatomists I’m told confidently
Burmese students learn anatomy consequently.

(Drs Lucy Kyaw Mya, Khin Lay Yi, Nan Ommar)

Drs Aye Cho and Myint Myint San belonged to the first batch
When some anatomy teachers were ambivalent to catch
On the anatomical career that is not paying by any means
But later many found it satisfying with a venue for job wins.

(L to R; Mrs MM Ohn, Dr Nan Ommar, Dr Khin Lay Yi,
Dr Tin Moe Nwe, Dr Lucy kyaw Mya, Dr Min Min Win)

Khin Win, Aung Thu, Khin Than Yi and Mary Hmwe
They attended the second batch without delay
Followed by Kyaw Nyunt, Soe Lwin, Hla Tun and Nilar Shwe
Aung Kyi, Myint Lwin , Khin Thant Zin and Kyu Kyu Htay
Khin Lay Yi, Soe Soe Paing, Myo Than and Than Than Win followed
Si Si Than,Tin Tin Oo, Yi Yi Myint, Myint San Nwe furnish the galore.

(Burmese Doctors of All Specialties, Kuching)

Saw Eik Yong, Khin Myo Thu and Lucy Kyaw Mya
San San Thwin, Maureen, Nan Ommar and Khin Ma Ma
They all are trail blazers in the anatomist profession of Burma
They are now teaching in the various universities of Malaysia
Thidar Khin, Khin Thidar, Thet Hnin Nwe, Aye Aye San,Wai Wai Kyi
Tin Moe Nwe and Htar Htar Aung got Ph.D. from Japan gracefully.

(Burmese Doctors Giving Dinner to MMN)

Looking back on my career from 1964 to date
I find it satisfying and successful if not so great
I have taught both undergraduates and postgraduates
In both medical and dental institutes for late
I was part of the faculty that produced MBBS and BDS
Also B.Sc. anatomy, M.Sc. anatomy ahead
Of Ph.D. in Burma, UK and Japan
I take pride being a Ph.D. London.

( l to R: Drs Soe Lwin, Tin Moe Nwe, lucy Kyaw Mya,
Saw Aung Hla Win, MMN, NOM)

So I’m grateful to all those connected with these adventures
Successful only with cooperation and endeavors of others
Notably the names mentioned above with affection
Some of them with my ardent admiration
Thank you all for making my life so sweet
I’m proud of you as my life is almost complete.

With malice towards none, but charity for all!

Dr Maung Maung Nyo
30.7.2010 (Original)

No comments: