December 13, 2008

The Edinburgh Festival Part II

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


In the hostel at night we had a dance party

About 50 scholars sat in the room to dally

But some said they could not dance but to watch tamely

The Scottish Supervisor said all must dance compulsorily

So, those who could not or wish not to dance had to flee

It included me and we just walked and wandered in the university.


(Residential Campus, Edinburgh)


Early the next morning I rose up and walked in the campus

I met a beautiful lady from Hong Kong following me fast

I waited for her and we chatted about the Festival fuss

We struck a good conversation and our friendship lasts

Ko Phone thought I fell in love with her fast

Ma Ce-Ce also said I had a way with woman first class.


(Majestic Edinburgh Castle in the City of Edinburgh making its Landmark)


The next day we were taken to the Edinburgh Castle

It was in the center of the city and a wonderful spectacle

We were told the story of people that had lived there

I was struck by the story of Mary, Queen of Scots and her lover

Also, the story of canon ball falling into the lone well to despair

One of the big guns there was recorded to be taken from Burma.


(Big Guns on Edinburgh Castle, One was from Burma)


At night we watched the Edinburgh Festival Tattoo

It was performed with great precision and pomp too

It was to the credit of the military people who drew

Every year they perform this military tattoo to review

Then followed the parade led by bag pipes and kilted Scots

It was followed by dancers, jugglers, jokers and juggernauts.


(Edinburgh Festival Parade led by a Kilted Scot with a Bell at

Princes Street, Edinburgh)


The most memorable was watching the fireworks

It was done at night with the Castle as front mast

Various shapes of fire flowers shot to the sky in mass

They showed different colours blooming beautifully upwards

Then, they broke and bellied down towards the earth

Spectators shouted aloud” Hoorah” and enjoyed very much.


(Scottish Highland Dance)


We also had the pleasure of watching the theatre

The Waverly was presented every hour with grandeur

The cyclists, circus scions and impersonator were also there

We had a fine time in watching programs of different cultures

Of course, the central theme was Scots and Scottish drama

We noticed Ivanhoe of Sir Walter Scot screened in the cinema.


(Poster of Ivanhoe Film Starring Robert Taylor and Elizabeth Taylor)


I remember visiting the Department of Anatomy

It was situated in the medical school of the University

The medical school was an imposing entity

It invoked the memory of Burke and Hare’s autopsies

They stole the dead bodies after killing the unlucky

It led to the Anatomy Acts to have the unclaimed bodies.


(Body Snatchers Burke and Hare in the Movie of the same Names)


I was shown around the anatomy department by a responsible person

He was cordial, courteous and factual explaining the relevant questions

He told the story of three Munros becoming the professors of anatomy

Many discoveries were made in the department for posterity

Like vein of Munro, Foramen of Munro and other curiosity

Professor Romanes attended medical course as professor faculty!


(Alexander Munro III, Professor of Anatomy at Edinburgh)


During my stay in Edinburgh

Friends invited me to their shelters

They were Than Aung and S Hla Mong

They were studying to pass final FRCS round

They cooked Burmese food and fed me full

They took me to their digs and Royal College too.


(Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh)


On the last night of our stay in Edinburgh

Different contingents had to present their culture

Hong Kong students performed the Chinese Opera

Indian students presented the belly dance extravaganza

Phone Ko and I jested for Ma Ce-Ce Anyein dance

The crowd went wild with our jokes by loud laughs.


( Burmese Anyeint Dance with Two Dancers and Four Jesters)


On the whole I had a profitable programme

I watched the Edinburgh Festival from Grand Stand

I visited the Edinburgh City and Castle on hand

I was entertained to Burmese food by friends

They shared their experiences to recommend

So that next Burmese scholars can overcome difficulties

They would prepare suitable means to pass the final easily.


(Thanbuddhay Pagoda in Monywa where the Poet was Born)


I wrote about this in my travelogue

It was entitled,” England, America and Burman”

UNESCO prescribed it for every Burmese ought

To have it as guideline for study abroad

SOAS also prescribed part of it as a Burmese companion

I feel satisfied as one who made his experience a legend!


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

16.12.2008 (original)

No comments: