December 7, 2008

Who are the Pyu?

(I’m a Pyu!)

(Silver Reliquary of Sri Khsetra)

Dr Maung Mau
ng Nyo

I’m a student of history
I learned it while young
I did it while in university
I still study it as a hobby.

(Pyu Gold Chain 8th-9th Century AD)

I ‘m always fascinated by the Pyu
They were one of the three forefathers
That migrated from the Tibet Plateau
They founded Sri Khsestra, city of old Burma.

(Pyu Stone Urn with Inscriptions)


(Pyu Coins bearing Hindu Marks)

We know that there are many Pyu towns
Like Beikthano, Halin and Tagaung
Mong Mao and Thindwe were later found
They ar rampant in central Burma all along.


(Pyu Gold Bead)

Professor Luce suggested Pyu disappeared
When Nan Chao invaded and destroyed Burma
It was in AD 832 before Paukkan Pyu Gama
Nan Chao took away 3000 Pyu prisoners
So no one was left and supposed to disappear.

(Oval Shape of Sri Khsetra City Wall)

I wondered how a human race could disappear
By missing a few thousand men or soldiers!
Now, Dr Than Tun said they did not disappear:

(Pyu Buddha in Teaching Mudra, hand broken)

Pyu lived on and merged with new comers
So, they were absorbed into Bamar
Pyu writing existed until Kyanzittha era
Hoorah! To our ancestors and brothers!

(Beikthano City Plan)

Dr Than Tun claimed that he was a Pyu
So were all Bamars now living too
As Pyu and Bamar were mixed through
He states that “pure Burmans are Pyus”;
It reminds me of U Tha Myat, the Burmese Guru
Who said,” Pyu of Pyi became Bamar of Bagan"
So, pure Burmans are Pyus to be a dictum!


(City Plan of Halin)

Apart from traditional Pyu places or so
Like Pyi, Beikthano, Halin, Allakappa
Phowintaung, Mongmao, Amarawaddy etc
Dr Than Tun enumerated many others:

(Bawbawgyi Pagoda, Pyi)

Hsi Paw,Kyu Kok,Uru Stream Tip, Mottama
Western Arakan Coast, Tampawaddy, Monywa
Practically the whole extent of present Myanmar
So, geographically, we inherited the Pyu Desa.

(Phowintaung, Monywa)

Luce claimed Pyu Saw Hti was a legend, exaggerator!
(But it could be spelled as Pi'ou Sao Ti as Chinese Emperor!)
That he came from Tagaung to Pagan, it’s an improbable saga!

(Shwebataung, Monywa)

But, Tagaung is now Thindwe excavated in central Burma
Maung Tint Te and his sister came to Pagan from there
Pagan was built and maintained by Pyu in central Burma
What Dr Htin Aung said regarding Burmese History is true;

(Painting in Phowintaung Cave, Monywa)

Those legend-like Pyu Saw Hti story may be oral history
That was passed from generation to generation orally
Some details were lost, but the essence remains factual
Like Pompei was thought to be legend, Troy too
They are found now to be true, why not Pyu Saw Hti untrue?

(Buphaya Built by King Pyu Saw Hti)

If Pyu had built Pagan together with Bamar
It’s no wonder the standard was so high for the era
It was not just Mon that helped build Paukkan Rama
It was the works of Pyu, Bamar, Mon and Kalar
Indian historians now claim their forefathers were there.

(Anyathians Bones, Nyaung Kan, Monywa District)

Pyu had a high standard of culture
They lived in cities surrounded by round enclosures
City wall was made of bricks and moat with water
It shape was not rectangular, but circular or oval in contour
Pyu wore clothes made with tree cotton and not silk
They were religious, courteous and fond of music
Pyu sent a musical troupe to Tang Emperor of China
Who appreciated it very much, recorded in gold folder
He gave Pyu Kingdom the status of a sovereign power.


(Map of SEA showing Pyu, Mon, Khmer Territory)

I know Mon had a great influence over Pagan culture
King Kyanzittha gave favour to Mon people and literature
He married a Mon Princess, Utthar Khin U, to be his mate
Mon Shin Arahan was made Pagan’s Buddhist Primate
I salute Mon for enriching the culture of then Burma State
It’s regrettable no early Mon edifices were found to date.


(Ananda and Thatpyinyu Pagodas denoting Pyu
Bamar Mon Architecture)

I remember the story of Pyu-Min and Pyone-Min
Legend says jewels came down when Pyu-Min looked out
And treasures rained down when his brother smiled about
But, when Chinese envoys were visiting him
Pyone-Min could not smile as he saw a sad scene
Involving his sister-in-law, the chief queen
Who was having an enjoyment with an Alsation
Pyu-Min killed his younger brother for disgracing him!


(Myazedi Stone Inscriptions having Pyu, Mon,
Myanmar, Pali Languages, one on Each Face)

I also remember my grandmother telling me of Duttabong
He was the eminent King of Pyu at Sri Ksetra or Pyi now
He was powerful and conquered a lot of other states
He also conquered the Queen of Beikthano at a later date
His power waned when he rubbed his face with a towel fake;


(Myazedi Pagoda where Raja Kumar Inscription was found)

That was a woman’s skirt laced with lavender and linings
It was now known he was embodiment of several Pyu kings
They were Vikaramas that ruled Sri Ksetra in succession.


(Mrauk U,original Place of Mahamuni Pagoda
Where King Alaungsithu paid homage)

That Pyu kingdom extended from Arakan to Salween River
From Tagaung to Tavoy and Mottama all together
It was the fore runner of future Pagan Empire or Burma
Pyu were the earliest benefactors of Burmese we're!


(Shwegugyi Pagoda in which King Alaungsithu
was killed by His Son, Narathu)

King Alaungsithu claimed he was a Pyu-Ta-Thane Min
Meaning king of one hundred thousand Pyu heirlings
Inscribed in Arakan during his visit to Mahamuni Pagoda
It's also described in his inscription in the Bodh Gaya;



(Mahabodi Cedi, Bodh Gaya)

My grandmother used to say they were Pyu and Royal Bamar
Phowintaung, Shwebataung and Maunghtaung spoken as Pyu Ywas
I feel I’m a Pyu still living like the late Dr Than Tun, U Tha Myat etc
Dr Ba Maw said he was a Maha Bamar and established such a party
They cherished their racial and royal heritage so earnestly and honestly!


(Bodh Gaya Buddhists Congregation)

Dr Maung Maung Nyo
07.12.2008 (original)

2 comments:

Ko Kyaw said...

Hi Uncle:
I came across your blog while looking for info of Kachin. I found your poem about Kachin, and I'm totally impressed. All your poems look very interesting, and I am going read them all. I am just a young kid from Myitkyina currently in US. Could you allow me to put your Kachin poem in my blog, my-myitkyina.blogspot.com ?
Also it's possible if i can contact you through email?
Thank you.
kyaw kyaw

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dear Kyaw Kyaw,
Thank you very much for your appreciation.Yes, you may use my poems for your blog and for non-commercial purposes.I have many Kachin friends and I like them.

Dr Maung Maung Nyo