Ode To a Lovely Lady
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
I know her since long time ago
I remember seeing her all yellow
With Burmese female fashion of yore
She was in the crowd of literary lore
That I was present at the talk show
It has been nearly forty years ago.

(The Lovely Lady at the Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia)
She has served me sincerely since
As companion, colleague and cautious critic
Always for the good of me from instinct
Even prolonging her time of scholarship stint
Having taken B.Sc.(Anatomy), M.B. and M.Sc.
She was always beside me, supporting me.
She has served me sincerely since
As companion, colleague and cautious critic
Always for the good of me from instinct
Even prolonging her time of scholarship stint
Having taken B.Sc.(Anatomy), M.B. and M.Sc.
She was always beside me, supporting me.
(Dr Nan Ommar Graduating M.B.,B.S. from IM 2)
When I was perplexed with problems
Down and out with malicious mayhems
She handed me her advice and opinion
That cooled my head and solved my problems
I could then stand up again and move on
I won many academic and literary marathons.
Down and out with malicious mayhems
She handed me her advice and opinion
That cooled my head and solved my problems
I could then stand up again and move on
I won many academic and literary marathons.
(Dr Nan Ommar and Dr Nyunt Wai at Taj Mahal)
When I proposed her to marry me
She did not ask for any costly ceremony
We’re married in a small assembly
With writers friends, poets and elderly
We had a happy, hilarious dinner party
It was crowned with court marriage treaty.
(Dr Nan Ommar at a WHO Conference in New Delhi)
When we did not have a house of our own
She looked for a means to procure it alone
She found it in the form of publishers’ loan
We did not have to pay interest but manuscripts
That I had to write and hand over them to publish
It was a “Win-Win” situation that fixed it.
(Dr MMN, YPN, ESN, Dr Nan Ommar at Parami)
When we needed to have a family
Children were difficult to conceive easily
We had to resort to medical technology
She had to undergo plenty of them patiently
At long last we succeeded to have progeny
She sustained two Caesarean deliveries.
When we needed to have a family
Children were difficult to conceive easily
We had to resort to medical technology
She had to undergo plenty of them patiently
At long last we succeeded to have progeny
She sustained two Caesarean deliveries.
(Kuching, the Cleanest City in Malaysia, where UNIMAS is)
She endured the pains and strains of childbirth
She took care of the children as her must
She lost sleep, appetite, weight as aftermaths
She was lucky she recovered completely
Her daughters developed dramatically
They are now both grown-ups ladies.

( Dr NOM and MMN at Leprouse Beach, Sydney)She endured the pains and strains of childbirth
She took care of the children as her must
She lost sleep, appetite, weight as aftermaths
She was lucky she recovered completely
Her daughters developed dramatically
They are now both grown-ups ladies.

I’m hard-headed since my childhood
That medicine is for the people’s good
Money is not essential for our livelihood
But, it determines our children’s outlook
So, my wife asked me to earn some dollars
It was to send daughters to a university afar.

(Dr Nan Ommar's Family at Bagan Restaurant, Sydney)
Thus we landed at UNIMAS in Kuching
It was a new and novel educational institution
It provided us with a second home and financing
Our daughters went to private college for education
They succeeded in gaining Master’s from Aus Varsities
It’s a credit to her foresight and first rate faculties.

(Dr Nan Ommar at her Daughters' Master's Graduation)
Now that I’m old and obsolete
She takes care of me in servitude
She cooks, counsels and cautions me
What to eat, what to do and say for free
I’m now in total peace and harmony (luxury?)
Our daughters are also enjoying her soliloquy
She is therefore more than my better half in reality!
(Dr Nan Ommar and Dr MMNyo)
What more can you ask from a wife?
She is always on your side
She looks after your health to be alright
She also solves your problems day and night
I wonder what will become of me if deprived
I pray she is always healthy for a long life!
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
04.12.2008 (original)






2 comments:
Dear Saya Nyo and Ma Ma Nan,
What a lovely poem and the accompanying photo journey of your family life! Thank you for sharing it. Your's is surely a family filled with love, respect and appreciation to each other. I wish I can emulate that by the time I am your age. Congratulations to Saya and Ma Ma.
warm regards,
Than N Oo ( USA )
Dear Dr TNO,
Thank you very much for your appreciation of the poetry and photographs.Yes, we are a happy family.I'm sure you will get it too.
I just composed them to let others know how we live as it is.
Yours sincerely,
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
Post a Comment