December 22, 2008

Memorable Christmas in London

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


Christmas is a time of gift

Friends and families exchange it

They show love by reciprocal visits

They shared meals to make life rich.


(A Beautiful Christmas Tree)


I always remember Christmas in London

Not that I went to Church as a Christian

But, because I enjoyed the Christmas Dinner

That was given generously by our Professor.


Professor Bowden was my supervisor

But she was more than a teacher

She acted as our mother surrogate

She looked after our health, welfare and dates.


(Professor Ruth Bowden,right, and MMN,left with black jacket

at Christmas Dinner in Her Home in London, England)


Near Christmas she would invite us to a pre-Christmas Dinner

Held at the medical school cafeteria for all her PG researchers

The whole Cafeteria at that time was crowded, boisterous and busier

But, she made certain that we all were well served and feted fairer.


(Roast Turkey and Red Wine)


Then she would thank us for enjoying her preliminary dinner

She would then invite us to come to her home for real winner

That will be served on the 24th night of the December

We all had to visit her to eat her home-cooked turkey and ginger.


(Carving of Roast Turkey that I Usually Did)


Yes, about ten or twelve PG students would turn up

Some with their spouses and children with much fuss

She would greet each of us cordially and keep us smart

Children would be given chocolates, toys and crayon works

Often I was asked to tell stories to children, some made up

Nevertheless, we all enjoyed her turkey that was delicious.


(Santa Clause is Darling of the Children at Christmas Time)


I had to carve the turkey during the meal

Every body thought I had the skill

But, I cut joints and sinews by conjecture really

I then distributed the cut pieces equally

Every body had a crisp skin, a meaty piece, a bone bat

They would crunch and bite with relish at that

Wine flowed and sweet speeches scored as success

Professor loved that and she would open her gift sets

Each of us got what we needed, that had been assessed

We would say a big “Thank you” to her and “Good Night”

She would send us back in her Roll Royce

Her chauffeur was at our service for several nights!


(Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, 8 Hunter St,

London WC 1, England, Old Place)


My Professor was never married

She was always single and happy

She took pride in teaching anatomy

She was a professor just over thirty

Her old mother boasted it repeatedly

(She lived with her daughter as company)

The youngest in her field’s history

She was later elected to its presidency!


(Royal Free Hospital, Hampstead, North London)


She was actually born in Madras

Her father was an officer of the British Raj

But she was sent back to England for Education

She was educated in London, Oxford and British institutions

She had been a neurologist, neuroanatomist and physician

She was a medical educationist having been to many nations

That included Africa, Burma, Malaysia, US and European

She had always a soft spot for people of former British Dominions.


(Map of Indian Raj, Burma and Ceylon now Sri Lanka)


She always invited us every Christmas

I have enjoyed three times as such

From 1966 to 1968 Decembers

I was treated more like a son rather;

We still had regular correspondence everywhere

She saw to it that I was always treated fair

In the Great Britain, Anatomical Society or in Burma

I never forget her dedication, Metta and Cetana!


(A British Officer in Indian Raj Pampered by Native Servants)


Christmas is therefore ingrained in me

A kind of sweet and sincere ceremony

Friends exchange gifts and goodwill

Parents pour love on their progeny

Teachers impart knowledge on their pupils

My Professor had bestowed all of above in me

I’m fortunate to be a pupil of such giant personality!


(Professor Maung Maung Nyo Ph.D. Conferring M.Sc. Degree to

Dr Nan Ommar at Institute of Medicine 1 Convocation, 1985)


(To My Supervisor Professor Ruth E.M. Bowden

M.B., B.S. (London), D.Sc. (London), F.R.C.S. (England),

FRSM, FRSE, OBE, born 1915 died 2001)


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

23.12.2008

No comments: