December 24, 2008

London House and Historic Places

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


I lived in the London House for three years

It’s situated in WC 1 Mecklenburg Square

Five minutes walk to my medical school, so near

I found it comfortable, congenial, all found and fair.



(London Hous, Meckleburgh Square, London, England)


It was built in the 1950s

For PG students of the Common Wealth Countries

But, we're admitted as Burma was a former colony

It was meant for the male postgraduate students only

Women students were admitted in the nearby dormitory

It’s known as the William Goodenough House for Ladies.


(William Goodenough House for Ladies, Mecklenburgh Square,London)


Apart from food and lodging

It provided special occasions

Like talks by the celebrities or politicians

I remember attending one given by Mr. Mayhew

Labour MP talking on Arab-Israel feud

There were some given by Bishops and Dukes.


(Oxford University and River Thames)


The one I most enjoyed was trip

Arranged for one day Saturday visit

To nearby towns, terraces and districts

There was one Major Babtock in high spirits

Explaining us important points in gist

I still remember those trips very vividly.


(Punting in the River Thames, Botanical Garden, Oxford University)


I visited the Oxford University several times

Once alone attending an anatomy conference

I was fascinated by its departmental designs

Doing research that was confined and sublime

Like human evolution and neuronal sequence

Professor Le Gros Clark had earned my reverence.


(Sir Wilfred Le Gros Clark, Professor of Anatomy)


I later visited Oxford with Major Babtock

It was one most pleasant and informative walk,

I remember Theikpan Maung Wa for his records


(Bodleian Library, University of Oxford)


Then, I took a fair lady for sightseeing and sports

We had a good time punting and pouring petty talks

I can never forget it as something special of sort.


(King's College, Cambridge University)


We also went to Cambridge

It’s a university town solely built for it

Its buildings were beautiful and big

They were decorated with sculpture and relief


(King's College Chapel, Cambridge)


I remember many scientists associated with it

Watson and Crick, Stephen Hawkins and others

Many Rangoon University professors were from there

Like G.H.Luce, Hunter and Professor Kermode etc.


(Nobel Prize Winners Watson and Crick with their DNA Model)


We also visited the Hampton Court

It’s the most celebrated palace of courts

King Henry VIII confiscated it from Archbishop of York

It still retained many English palace designs since Tudor Period;


(Hampton Court Eastern Facade)


We could appreciate the arts, architecture and grandeur of Royalty

Including King's Room, Queen's Room and Ghosts of British History

Like King Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn, Queen Jane Seymour in apparition

It’s really interesting to watch and wonder the British institutions.


(King Henry VIII,The Most Well Known, Notorious?, King of England)


From London House we used to foray about

Every Saturday to seek knowledge and scout

It included Tower of London and Tower Bridge

They are icons of London most visited by tourists.


(Anne Boleyn, Second Wife of Henry VIII, beheaded by Him)


The Tower of London was built by William the Conqueror

Many later English monarchs had added the extravaganza

It was used as a palace, a fortress, a jail and a gallows yard

We heard Anne Boleyn was executed by Henry VIII in cold blood.


(Sir Thomas Moore, Former Lord Chancellor, Executed by Henry VIII)


So many prominent people had been held I was told

Including a “Man For All Seasons” Sir Thomas Moore

I liked his Utopia as an example of good men galore

But, being good enough is not good enough for power hold!


(White Tower)


I saw the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London

There were bright red rubies and dazzling diamonds

Koh-I-Noor’s Diamond was one in the Crown

I wondered, where was the Nga-Mauk Ruby bound!


(Crown Jewels on the British Crown with Koh-I-Noor Diamond)


London House has been good to me for years

It sent its publications while I lived in Burma

It also welcomed me with bed and breakfast offer

When I visited again in 1976 seven years later

I always have a fond memory of her so dear

It’s one of many topics I always wish to hear.


(Tower Bridge, a Landmark of London)


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

25.12.2008

No comments: