April 19, 2009

Laughter Among the Burmese Literati I

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


(1) One Ah Ye Paing ( DC= Deputy Commissioner, not District Commissioner), an
ICS Englishman, lived alone in his DC house in a district town in
Burma.He would get up early in the morning, jogged for some time, took
a shower, read the daily newspapers of the day, changed clothes and
took breakfast.


(A Burmese Dancer)


Then, he would ask Maung Pho Htin, his butler, to
carry his bag and basket of letters to his office and walked as his
office was not far away. He would greet people and monks on the way and
then he would do the day work there as submitted by the CC (Chief
Clerk).


In the afternoon, he would ask Maung Pho Htin to carry his
bag, basket of letters and then walked back again. At home he would
change dress, played tennis with his White friends, and would drink
whisky. At night, he would write letters, listen to music, took a
shower and sleep.


(Burmese Dancers)


This routine went on days on end and on holidays, he
would go hunting in the woods or in the rice fields for different
kinds of birds.


One day, he said to Maung Pho Htin," Maung Pho Htin, I don't know who
can do my job in my absence as I am going back to Bilat (England) on
leave."
Maung Pho Htin replied," Don't worry, Sir, I would willing do your job
in your absence, Thakhin." The DCw as animated with interest and asked
to hear his butler's thinking," Good, Maung Pho Htin! Tell me how will
you carry out with my jobs."


(The Burmese Anyeint Dance Jesters or Clowns)


Maung Pho Htin replied," Very easy, Sir. In the morning, I will ask
another butler to carry my bag and basket of letters to the DC
office.There, I'll ask the CC (chief clerk) to bring all letters and
applications to sign. At the end of office hours, I would ask the
butler to carry my bag and basket of letters back to this house.Then,
I would change dress, play tennis, drink Whisky, take a shower, write
letters or listen to music and then go to sleep, Thakhin."


'Very well!" the DC replied and he told this story with glee to his fellow
ICS officers who numbered less than 10. Maung Pho Htin could
barely write and speak English correctly.

(2) U Ohn Pe or the late Sayagyi U Tet Toe was working as a clerk in
the DC office in Magwe.


(The Ananda Temple, Bagan/Pagan)


One day, the DC asked him," Maung Ohn Pe, what
is the difference between a Kyun- Noke and a Kyun-Daw?".
U Ohn Pe replied," Sir, both mean the same as I, but Kyun-noke is
ordinary I and some say Kyoke, but Kyun-Daw is a royal I meaning your
royal servant and more polite form, Sir."


The DC was pleased and said," Maung Ohn Pe, your answer is correct,

but some Burmese do not know the language as you.

Why don't you go to college?"
" Thank you,Thakhin. I passed the matriculation examination last year,
but I have to look after my parents here."


(University of Rangoon, now Reopened as University of Yangon)


"Very good, Maung Ohn Pe, I'll see what I can do."
U Ohn Pe attended the Rangoon University next year with collegiate
stipend and he passed the B.A. examination in due course.


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

20.04.2009

No comments: