April 29, 2009

What is this life?

The Garrulous Gargantuan Garden


Dr Maung Maung Nyo


A gardener invited me to his garden

He said,” It’s splendid and grand,

Inhale any fragrance you wish

Eat any fruit you relish

Or pluck any flower you cherish

Give it to your lover as gift!”


(The Kandawgyi Garden)


One day I went to his popular place

To honour his invitation and grace

To enjoy its scenery and space

To eat a fruit delicious in taste

I would doze and dream in daze

I’ll pluck a flower to fresh her face.


(The Padauk Flowers During the Burmese New Year Time)


He showed me big beautiful flowers

Blooming brightly bounding the border

They look like parchments and papers

As they lack sophistication and aroma

Who would like them to wear?


(The Gantgaw Flower, Mesua ferrea)


I have to leave them in despair.

“Look there, they are sunflowers

Facing the sun and dancing in grandeur

Bright yellow with sun-disc contour

Is it not beautiful and a wonder?”


(The Sun Flower)


Of course, they’re beautiful and wonderful

But who would wear them like fool!

“Oh, you like fragrant flowers!

It’s plenty here, look there!

See, they are white, winsome and clean

Yes, indeed, they are jolly good jasmine”

He plucked some in his palm with grin

So small and simple, it lacks sheer class within.


(The White Jasmine Flowers)


Of course, a rose by another name will smell

As fragrant and fresh as godsend girl

Red, white, yellow or pink and all fair

But it has sharp spines and thick thorns

That endangers like wild bullock horns

They’ll puncture and bleed my damsel down.


(" A Rose by Any Other Name...")


Then, there is the lilac lily in the lake

It stays in water and sways or shakes

It opens with sun and closes its blades

When at night or in dark shade;

It attracts the bees and beasts in wade

Beestings is more mortal than marmalade.


(The Giant Rafflesia Flower in the Borneo Island)


I know there are other flowers

Like the big bright beautiful Rafflesia

It stinks and swallows insects by its petal power

That open and close when the preys hover

It’s a carnivorous and venomous flower

I do not wish to present it to my lover.


(Compare a Rafflesia Flower wih a Girl)


“Then, what is left is a flower

That’s not too bright and bee baiter

Not just fragrant and not frivolous either

Not carnivorous or insect biter

Yes, we have one as the Eugenia

It’s perfect, plain perfect, my dear,”


(A Dancing Peacock, Emblem of Old Burma)


“No, Thank you, Sir, my dear gardener

You have been a good mate and planner

You have a variety of fine flowers

They meet the need of ordinary flower lovers

But, not me in search of a virtuous flower

That is full, fragrant and fair as Manju Sakar*!”


(The Hawaii Mango Tree)


“What about eating any fruit”, he asked

I said, “Thank you, it’s enough”

I have seen many trees, plants or shrubs

That bears fruits, flowers and fancy buds

I saw bright red fig fruits in groves

But only crows encircled above.


(Children Playing in an Anyar Village of Burma)


I did not see any other bird or boy

Who liked to eat or tried

Those fruits and others on trees nearby

Thus all the trees had fruits in style

But, no one tried to pluck them, even boys!

There must be something that spoils.


(The Burmese Flag With a dancing Peacock in 1943-45)


I saw some cowboys

Riding horses and singing high

Some tending the pigsty

They spoke “Hey”, “Ha” and “Hi”

Their clothes were covered in grimes

Their shouts were smothered with smiles.


(The Fighting Peacock Flag )


The garden looked like a kindergarten

Save the gardener all were children

They ran, they danced and they sang

They read, they drew and they banged

They held big books even

They quoted comic books as godsend!


(The Physic Nut, Jatropha curcus)


Oh, Yes, I saw some physic nut trees

Near the fence and elsewhere so many

They are green and growing

I’m sure they are thriving

But what is their use?

If not for the astrological ruse!


(The Cow and Cowboys in America)


There are many fruit bearing trees

But no mango Bandara** species

That is fragrant, delicious and delicacy

The fortunate eater will be in ecstasy

Oblivious of his sufferings and miseries

It certainly promotes his longevity.


(A Shan State Scenery)


“Oh, thank you very much, Gardener

You are a hospitable host ever

Your garden is gigantic and grandeur

It’s gorgeous and great for a visitor

But, it’s not complete yet even as a foyer


(The Majestic and Monumental Ananda Temple in Pagan)


Where fragrant flowers festoon for ever

Free of bees and full of butterflies in fervour

Boys climbing trees to pluck fruits and flowers

Eating, speaking, squeaking and seeking tastier

As they enjoy life never before ever.


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

30.04. 2009 (original)


N.B.: *Manju Sakar = Legendary Manju Saka Deva’s flowers

** Bandara mango = Legendary Deva mango


4 comments:

Alvin S. C. Lee said...

Sayagyi missing hometown? Yes, despite being a 'global citizen', we do have feelings for home.

Life is like this... with strong attachment abounds
Till the stilling of emotions beyond Samsara's endless rounds

Before April ends, may I wish you Happy Burmese New Year. Mingalar hnit thit phyit parsay.

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dear Alvin,
Thank you very much. Yes, I'm mulling my frustrations! Life s like that.Thanks.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Maung Maung Nyo

admin said...

Cheers uncle.. you always the best!
how about your memoir of our hometown monywa??? Let us hear from elders. tks a lot.

brgds/laminoo

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dear Sirius,
Thank you for your encouragement. I have composed a poem on my home town Monywa as the "Ode to my native Monywa". Enjoy it on this site.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Maung Maung Nyo