Ubiquitous Youth Chicken Soup
(Kyettha Kalatha Chet)
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
Our family is fond of fixing own food
Pickled sour by herself or bought from booths
She cooked it with pork belly to be so good.
(L to R: MMN, YPN, NOM, ESN)
I’m in favor of frying fish and chips
To be eaten with lime and sour dips
It’s simple to make and savory to eat
We used to eat them together at picnic.
(Dr NOM Buying Fish and Chips in Sydney)
Our two daughters like spicy sweet chicken
Cooked in a big pot with chunks of gourd and
Hot chili ginger lemongrass cinnamon bark
They boil the ingredients in water until dark.
(Youth Chicken Soup, Kyet-Tha Kalatha Chet)
Last week Yupar said she would cook Kalathahin
Asked us to buy a fresh gourd and chicken wings
Her mother fulfilled her wishes by buying all she needs
Lemon grass dry chili paprika ginger spices complete.
Today she was busy helping her sister
With a very important personal matter
She went out to various places to finish
So I offered to help and she agreed my wish.
They are chicken legs devoid of skin
The name itself seduces and scintillates
I’m to cook the best Kalthachet homemade.
(Hot and Spicy Chicken Dish)
I put a little bit of oil in the shining pot
I sprinkle ginger pieces to sauté on spot
I add some onion flakes stirred light brown
Saffron and salt sprinkling make to crown.
I notice the good smell of basic food stuffs
It’s time to add the chicken legs good enough
I added one by one while flicking and frying
Chicken pieces become discolored and drying.
(The Mingun Bell, the World's Largest)
Then cut tomato pieces and paprika are added
A cup of water is poured down to spread
Pieces of chicken and tomato in flat fashion
The orange red broth is brewing now for action.
I take out a piece of lovely leg
Pierce it with fork and scrape
I find the meat tender and tasty
It’s ready to be eaten if hungry.
(The Burma Army Camp at Mongton in Southern Shan State)
But I have to add pieces of gourd
Cut into cubes of 2 inch measures about
I just need to cut required size before adding.
The smell of broth makes me hungry
Nan Ommar says its smell is strange and spicy
I just fill lemon grass stalks and chili in summary
The Kalathahin is ready in five minutes to be mighty.
(L to R: NOM, YPN, ESN, MMN in University of Wollongong in
NSW Campus)
Actually I’m fond of this kalathachet
As it has a history in my life led
I ate it voraciously in Mingun at night
When we all were left flat
Without any boat to go back in fright
We had come to visit Mingun to rest.
(Mingun Pathodawgyi, Unfinished Cedi, of King Bodawphaya)
I also ate Kalathachet almost every week
When 5th Buregt army officers and I to meet
Playing billiards and telling jokes in Officers Mess
Eating it together was what we have to fret.
I also remember cooking Kalatha Hin
When I was to leave Lashio within
Two days for Meiktila and
I had been selected to go abroad soon.
(Chicken Soup, Kalatha Chet)
So this the famous Kalatha Chet
I have been familiar with it at the outset
As student, as army doctor and family chef
Oh, I’m so glad I have cooked it the best.
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
28.03.2009 (original)





2 comments:
really nice poem uncle.. I love it.
tks 4 sharing your knowledges and experiences.
brgds/ la min oo
Dear La Min Oo,
Thank you very much for your appreciation.
Yours sincerely,
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
Post a Comment