Profiles in Medical Education: 1. Dr Pe Thein
Prologue
I know Dr Pe Thein ( Sayagyi Dr U Pe Thein in Burmese) since 1970 when
we were members of the Basic Science Group in the Third Medical Education
Seminar in
(I was only 30 years of age then). He once came to my departmentat Institute of
Medicine 2,Mingaladon, asking a reprint of the article I wrote in the IM2
Annual Magazine entitled, “Examination.”
Dr Pe Thein M.B., B.S. (Rangoon), Ph.D. (Dunelhm or
New Castle-Upon-Tyne)
Dr Pe Thein had since occupied many
positions in medical education in
physiology (and Biochemistry) in
and Minister for Health in 1988. But, he remained a friend and teacher to me as
a doctor and medical educationist.
Profile
The Oxford Dictionary of Current English defines a profile as the outline of a
person’s face seen from one side or a short description of a person that attracts
public notice. Dagon Taryar, the famous writer, poet and literary critic, once
wrote a book in the 1950s about the prominent people of
poetry, arts and administration named “Yoke Pon Hlwar” or “Profiles’ .It included
such personalities like Thakhin Kodaw Hmaing, Bogyoke Aung San, U Nu,
Thakhin Than Tun etc. It was a hit. Dr Maung Maung, the late President of Burma
and a confidante of U Ne Win, also wrote a book entitled “Profiles of Burma”
that included Thakhin Than Tun, U Nu, U Ba Swe, U Kyaw Nyein, U Ne Win etc.
(Dr Pe Thein's Parents U San Pe and Daw Mya Thein)
It was in English and published in the 1960s. Those profiles were brief descriptions
of the people that were most visible or salient .These profiles were not complete
biographies. I also will write about Saygyi U Pe Thein that strikes vividlyto me orto
our friends and colleagues. It is an impression and a true caricature that is unbiased.
First Acquaintance
I first heard of Dr Pe Thein’s name when I joined the Branch Medical Faculty
(BMF) at
physiology and anatomy for the first time and physiology was difficult. The
prescribed textbook for physiology then was McDowall’s Textbook of Physiology.
The senior students who were in the third year like Drs Ohn Maung and Set Htwar
told us that Dr Pe Thein taught physiology to be easy and understandable so they
passed at the first attempt. “Where is Dr Pe Thein now?”, I asked.
(Dr Pe Thein with His Father U San Pe, Brother Dr Pe Nyun and
Sister Dr Khin Khin Aye)
“He is now studying for Ph.D. in physiology in
thus eager to meet him in person that did not realize until 1970 when I had to
examine 2nd MB students in
Dr Pe Thein was back from
physiology department.
He initiated the firstpostgraduate course in
since 1967.And I knew that the results of his research in gastric secretion were
incorporated in the B.D.S.’s Textbookof Physiology and Biophysics. His name
was mentioned in that textbook. Moreover,a physiologist professor from the
from 1966 to 1969. It was an honor for all Burmeseand we're proud of him!
A Good Teacher
Dr Pe Thein joined the teaching profession since his graduation in the early
1950s without even training as a house surgeon. In those days, medical graduates
did not work in teaching positions as the general practice outside the medical
schoolwas so lucrative. He was one of the few exceptions ( Dr Pe Toe,
Dr Shwe Ban also) and he whole-heartedly took up the teaching job doing its
chores every day. He did research as it interested him and so he went for a Ph.D.
degree at the
(Dr PeThein (4th from Left and Wife Dr Kyu Kyu Swe(3rd from left)
with his PG Students and Staff at Institute of Medicine Mandalay)
I heard that he immersed totally in research and did it both day
and night there for more than 3 years. That dedication made him famous for his
research besides gaining a Ph.D. and made him open the first postgraduate
course in physiology at
and biochemists since then. His PG students included Professor Hla Yee Yee,
Professor Htay Htay (Monywa), Professor Margaret Mya etc.
He had taught so many undergraduates as witnessed by the IMM. He used to
teach even while he was the Director-General of Health or Medical Education.
Yes, some of his PG students are also keen in medical education as is seen by
the interest and activities of people like Professor Hla Yee Yee and Professor
Win May. He sent a botanist for medical education training in
scholar is now assuming the post of Director of Medical Science (Education)
Department in
A Devoted Researcher
Many Burmese scholars after coming back from abroad failed to continue their
research activities in
being two major problems. But, it is not for Dr Pe Thein. He not only continued
his research, he expanded them as departmental activities and projects, as PG
programme and as collaborative activities with clinicians. This was evident by his
many papers read at research conferences and seminars. I heard that he always
spent time in his laboratory and sometimes he did not know what was happening
in the outside world.
(Branch Medical Faculty at Mandalay, 1953 to 1958)
Once I wished to see him when I was in
Physiology Department, but he was not there and I had to see him in his laboratory.
I knocked his door and he came out and asked,” Dr Maung Maung Nyo,
what do you want from me? Why are you here?”, I answered,” Saya,
It’s 2nd MB examination viva voce and you are the chief examiner for Physiology!
I’m co-examiner in anatomy.” Only then, he said,” Oh, That’s true.
What time is it now?” “It’s 2 PM and I just finished lunch.
What about you, Saya?”. “Oh, I have not finished yet, I must eat now.”
A Good Administrator
Many critics and colleagues of him said that he was a loose and liberal
administrator and he was interrogated for his slack in administration during his
rector-ship, but I noticed that his departments remained intact and each improved
not only during his headship, but also after he left. That shows he was nurturing
the departments correctly to be viable and vibrant. For example, look at the
Physiology Department at IMM and it is till thriving. It has evolved into two
departments: physiology and biochemistry respectively. He made these
departments filled with qualified persons. That shows his foresight and faculty too.
He was a strict disciplinarian and I had to chair various PE ( Preliminary Enquiry)
and DE ( departmental Enquiry) boards when he became the Director-General of
Medical Education as he appointed me to investigate into various irregularities
occurring in his Department and medical institutes. He was lenient, of course.
He would give directions to correct the lax in disciplines and faults in their functions,
but he never sack the person or persons concerned. There was only one person
he sacked as that lecturer was so rude and rowdy to the extent of physically
challenging his superiors in
A Gallant Academician
U Pe Thein was sometimes accused to be soft, but he was very firm when it came
to maintaining ethical standards. I still remember when he asked us what to do
with doctors lax in medical ethics and good conducts. We suggested him to educate
them first, then to make enquiries and reinforce as necessary. He immediately
distributed prints of medical ethics and codes of conduct for medical practitioners
as DGHS. He also resisted the wishes of his superior to readmit a medical student
who was expelled for a serious felony in one institute of medicine. He provided us
with whatever we needed for effective teaching at the Institute of Medicine 1
departments at
friendlier to us than when he was DG or Professor of Physiology! He initiated
many medical education workshops too.
A Kind Person
Once, a friend of mine in Pegu requested me to help his eldest son studying at IMM
to be transferred to
I wrote a letter to Dr Pe Thein about it and he recommended the transfer as he
was the Rector at IMM. Dr Ko Ko Gyi, my neighbor and friend in
that his wife was a graduate without a job and their children were grown up and
independent. So his wife looked for a suitable job as she was an old B.A.
Dr Ko Ko Gyi requested help from Dr Pe Thein who was Minister for Health
and Education then. He immediately appointed her as a senior assistant teacher
in
to be provided with foreign exchange when I went to
delegation. The ministry of health issued me US dollars and allowances for that
trip when Dr Pe Thein was the minister.
He did not promote me, of course. It's understandable.But I pleaded
with him to promote some of my teachers and friends during his ministry.
We succeeded in creating a department of biochemistry in each institute of
medicine and in proposing to confer professorship to a senior biochemist
in
A Fortunate Family Man
I heard that Dr Pe Thein was very popular with female students of BMF when
I was there, but I did not hear anything lurid about his love story that is bad.
There is a romantic story in that a medical student beauty waited for him from
her 2nd MB days to her graduation in 1960 but he did not remember her
when he came back from
he was eventually married to the love of his life.
(Dr Pe Thein and Wife Daw Kyu Kyu Swe M.B., B.S.(Rangoon),
MRCOG (London), D.Obst.RCOG (London), FRCOG (London)
It was said that she provided as his wife all the needs for their home besides
giving birth to their child. What he does now is read, research, write, eat, sleep
and do merits for the next life to be as good as is now or better. How fortunate he is!
Epilogue
I’m writing about him from the perspective of medical education and not from the
political aspect. He was a devout party man during the reign of Burma Socialist
Programme Party and I do not know whether he was right or wrong.
And he was unexpectedly appointed as the Minister for Health and Education
during the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) Rule. He was also
the Director of Universities Training Corps as a full colonel.
Are these posts significant in his medical education career? I do not know.
(University of Medicine Mandalay 2002 to Date)
What I know is he was a devoted physiologist, teacher, researcher and
medical educationist. May Sayagyi Dr Pe Thein live a long healthy life for
over a hundred years!
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
17.04.2009






2 comments:
May all kind people like him be blessed with Life's Highest Blessings
Dear Alvin,
Thank you.Yes, he is kind.
Yours sincerely,
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
Post a Comment