April 24, 2009

Laughter among the Burmese Literati III

Dr Maung Maung Nyo

(5) The Adventure of Tint De, the Versatile Writer


Saya Tint De was the "king of short stories" in his hey days in Burma
the 1950's , but he went to London as a BBC broadcaster in 1954.
He lived in London for over fifteen years and came back to Burma in the
late 1960s and early 1970s. He wrote a short story based on human

psychology borne out by his experience on the train from Mandalay to

Rangoon. The story runs like this:


(Mandalay Fort, Moat and Hill)


He took the train from Thazi and found it was crowded in his apartment,
the six seated old model. He and his friend could barely sat as the
obese old lady was sitting alone on the double sofa dozing and her
daughter, a beautiful maiden, was reading a monthly magazine,

indifferent to them. There was a couple, Anglo-Indian, the man was

wearing a suit with a tie and reading the Time, his wife doing embroidery.

They did not care other people and so only the two were left speaking.


(The Mandalay Yangon Train)


After a few miles from Thazi, his friend, Maung Swe, asked Saya Tint
De what to do as they could not sit properly, relax and talk. He said,
" I will let them talk and make way for us." "Really?" "Yes, you bet.
A bottle of whisky if I could do it before reaching Pegu?" " Ok".
Then, they both entered their compartment and Tint De coughed.
Maung Swe enquired, "Coughing agai! What happened?"
"I don't know. I had blood in the cough about six months ago. The doctor
said it could be TB."


(The Burma Train)


The Anglo-Indian looked at them, but did not sayanything.

Tint De said then, " I say Maung Swe, my girl friend likes
erotic books and magazines and she asked me to buy one from Rangoon."
Surprised, Maung Swe said," Oh, very strange, I never thought a good
girl would read such book and magazine!" Tint De then said, “Maung Swe,
take me to the lavatory. I like to cough", so saying he got out of the
apartment followed by Maung Swe.


They came back after half an hour and found the four people speaking to

each other and looked at them. The young girl was no longer reading the

magazine, the old woman was sitting properly and made way to one of them.

Tint De sat next to her. It was near Nyaung Lebin. Then after passing

Nyaung Lebin Tint De coughed out blood , spitting it on the floor.

the Anglo-Indian couple ran away, followed by the young girl leaving

only the old obese lady. All of them left the apartment at Pegu station.

Tint De and Maung Swe were left together having the whole apartment

to themselves.


Maung Swe asked Tint De," Hey, Pho Tint de, how did you do it?

What is that red fluid coming out of your mouth?"
Tint De smiled and said, "It’s just betal leaves fluid (Kwan Thwe)."

Maung Swe continued," How did you do it, man?"
Tint De smiled and said," Maung Swe, this is applying human psychology.
Each of the four persons lived in their own world indifferent to the
surrounding as they were cozy when we first came in. Once some danger,
my TB and coughing of blood came, they flocked together and talked to
each other for mutual support. So when I spit out red Kwan Thway, they
were so afraid that they ran away, changing the apartment at Pegu
station. Now, you owe a bottle of whisky, OK? Buy it in Rangoon".

"Yes, OK ", Maung Swe said.


Saya Tint De asked Maung Swe," If you wish we can bet whether this
train would step on a mine before reaching Thingangyun?". Maung Swe
said swiftly," No, No. I can buy you whisky, but I'm not ready to die,yet."

They both laughed.


(The Shwedagon Pagoda at Night)


Saya Tint De's real name was U Sen Win, BA, Bl. He studied psychology

at the Rangoon University and pursued further in UK. He died in Burma

in the late 1970s. Maung Swe was Thaw Dar Swe, the late celebrated

hunourist writer.


(6)The State Leaders Read Comic Books!


Fortunately or unfortunately I was appointed in late 1988 as a
member of the Central Literary Prize Selection Committee to select

suitable books for the National literary Prize of the year just passed.

I read all the books published for each year from 1987 to 1997 (ten years).


(The City Hall, Yangon)


I noticed that we were not given any comic or cartoon books published
each year. So at one meeting I stood up and asked why such books were
not distributed to us each year. No one answered. Dr Khin Maung Nyunt

Ph.D.(London) and the celebrated historian, said," Yes, I agreed
with Dr Maung Maung Nyo. I also do not get those books. Some

Responsible person should give us the answer!"


(The Thihathana Throne, The National Museum, Yangon)


Then, the Director of Press Scrutiny Board stood up and said," Sirs, I
do not wish to say this, but because you gentle men rightfully asked I
have to answer that those comic, cartoon and humour book have no
literary prize and we have to submit them to the State Council for
their reading pleasure. I hope you understand this."
" Oh, do they read these things! Who read such children books?" I
exclaimed. The officer replied," Saya, the president, vice president
and members of the State Council read them."


(The Offices of Minsisters, Yangon, Formerly the Secretariat)


"Yes, they are great people. They occupy the highest positions of the
state and they read the same books as the saying goes, great men think
alike, now they read alike." said, Dr Khin Maung Nyunt. We all laughed
except that Director of Press Scrutiny Board.


7) Can Any Body Write a Short Story?


One day Maung Kyaw or Saya P. Moh Nin came back to his apartment
from the city and smiled at U Ba, the grocery store owner, who was
pacing in front of his apartment building. U Ba asked him," Maung
Kyaw, why are you smiling? Have some money for me?"

Maung Kyaw replied," Yes, of course.I just got royalties (Sar Mu Kha)
for my stories that I wrote the other day!"


U Ba was glad and then said," Very good, Maung Kyaw. Repay my debts."

"Yes, Sir. I'll repay you all your debts now. But please sell me on credit if

I'm bankrupt again.", said Maung Kyaw while taking out Burmese rupees
(Kyats) notes from the inner pocket of his Typos coat (jacket) and
handed them to U Ba.


U Ba was glad and curiously asked Maung Kyaw," By the way, Maung Kyaw,
you definitely got all these Pikesan (money) by writing your so called
stories?". " Yes, of course, U Ba", Maung kyaw replied enthusiastically.
" Then, I must ask you a favour, Maung Kyaw. I have written some pieces
on the pages of an exercise book and please sell them to your
publishers." So saying U Ba went back to his grocery store, came back
and handed them to Maung Kyaw. Maung Kyaw read them and laughed
heartedly until tears came out from his eyes.


U Ba asked in puzzlement," Maung Kyaw, Why do you laugh?"
Maung Kyaw replied," Uncle, what you wrote are not short or long
stories. They are just ramblings and rants containing list of debts,
prayers and what not!"


He told this story to his disciples, Thu Kha, Thar Du and Mya Myo
Lwin. They all laughed whole-heartedly pressing their abdomen with
their hands, tears coming out of their eyes.


(8) I Can Also Write Burmese Book Easily!


I had the similar experience at Institute of Medicine 2 in the
early 1970s when my first book," Theikpan Nee Kya Ein Htaung The Bawa
(Sex, Science and Marriage), Yaw Gar San Hnint Zat Lan Myar (Collected
Short Stories) and Ceit Yaw Ko Bar Wai Dana Zone (Of Men and Maladies )
were published. The latter won the national literary prize. And friends
noticed that I was living on the writings without practising medicine for money.


(The Cover of Institute of Medicine 2, Mingaladon, Yangon , Teachers

Puza Number)


Sayagyi Dr Tin Aung, microbiologist and my old teacher, one day told
me," Hey, Maung Nyo. I'm glad you have become a successful writer. One
of my young staff told me she would stop practice (medical clinic) and
start writing to earn for a living like you. She thought any body can
write book and stories overnight. I know you write since student days."


(Dr Tin Aung, Head of Microbiology Department, Institute of Medicine 2,

Yangon, My Old Teacher)


I knew who he was referring to. She never becomes a writer even after
retirement at the ripe old age of over sixty years.


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

25.04.2009

No comments: