April 4, 2007

The Heartbeat



The Heartbeat
(yin deir ga khon)


Fluttering
Flustering feeling flat and fainted
Exhausted and excited
Palpitating panicky and agitated.

One mid day around
While I was roaming town
In one street corner shop I found
Her standing, I looked hard and long
Ashamed astonished and dumb-founded.

“Oh! Beauty, Hla Kay Thi”, I muttered
Like black clouds hovering ominously
Twisted tress of her hair arranged coyly
From the high blue clouds in the sky
She smiled sweetly like silver stars
Those bright eyes looking at me
Sparkling, scintillating shining like emeralds.

When young
At life commands one morning
Under the shining sun beams
We enjoyed love and daydreams
Those pictures come back in streams
Making misty past hard forgetting.

Now standing in front of me
Slim strong smart and sexy
Even after marriage she is still pretty
More and more beautiful in reality
Resembling early buds of flowers in rainy season.

“I’m going”, said she
Smiling sweetly with a kind glint
Hinting farewell to me as she sprinted
My heart flutters, splatters and sinks.

Fluttering
Flustering feeling flat and fainted
Exhausted and excited
Palpitating panicky and agitated.

Dagon Taryar (Taryar magazine, 1948)
Translation Dr. Maung Maung Nyo (3.4.2007)

No comments: