April 25, 2007

Wait for me, Darling




Wait for me, Darling
(Saungt khaw pa Maung)


Look here, Darling
Blue lush grass and white soft sand smothering
Thinly over the tiny winding path.

I felt weak while walking
Afraid and fatigued for almost crying
Tried smiling but weakened and worn out
Can’t catch up mate, make about turn there
Turn now here and walk running thee
Please support me.

Buds of leaves abound
Old leaves shriveled fall sleeping on the ground
Male bird singing softly sweet song
On the bough under which I stoop around
Blue sky and scorching sun all along
Summer flower and gale gone swerving
I sense early summer is coming.

New leaves sprouting
Bushy path blocked by green leaves
Feeling the tendrils unseen
Clouds and lightning flashing
Storms breaking branches and boughs
Sharp shooting silvery arrows
Of strong rains and downpours I behold.

Hanging heavy clouds hovering
Cool northerly wind with mist blocking
Towering tops of trees brown and blurring
Flower at the top brought by winter wind
Its fragrance I alone smelling
Soaked and shivering with snow dusts
Covering the path I just past.

Give me your hand, Darling
Soft tender and warm you render me
I jump with joy to walk with thee
Hand in hand we two in strengthened spree
On narrow sandy path we agree
Singing loudly as we feel free
Cold sweet tears pour on me out of joy
To the end of this path until we die
Please support and wait for me, Darling mine!

Kyi Aye (1949, Shumawa magazine, May)
Translation Dr Maung Maung Nyo (25.4.2007)

No comments: