April 6, 2007

A Kiss On the Silvery Boat

Dagon Taryar

From my beloved
I came back to my room
I missed her laying on my bed
I felt tired and fell asleep soon.



The young moon was sickle like
Effervescent blue and beautiful in sight
Hanged on the window of my room outside
Like a lantern lighted for the night
Dangling high on the old emerald cloud
Sprinkling shiny silver dusts throughout.

On the moonlit bed
With closed eyes I slept
But, memory with my beloved
Enjoying love could not be departed
So fresh and fragrant was her kiss
They are still warm on my lips.



At that juncture
The waxing half moon asunder
From crescent to boat shape
The wide sky and silvery sea made
Sparkling stars from water hyacinths
Mingled with mists in downward labyrinths
Where gales begin and form pretty waves
As in the Yamona River they behaved.



On the silvery boat
Together with my lover aboard
I play, embrace and kiss her wildly
It gives us great pleasure and ecstasy
Then, suddenly the silvery boat starts
Lurching and rolling to be so dangerous
Moves between the great waves downward
To be stranded on the cloudy boulevard.

Still kissing as such
Clinging and clasping as much
Hugging her fragrance and demanding more
I woke up suddenly, feeling my heartbeats so
Lo and behold! Beside the moon and white cloud
The seven stars have somersaulted past midnight
That was really first a dream of moonlight!

From the window
Flowed down on the bed and pillow
Bluish white, bright and brilliant glow
It's so fresh and wet in this moonlight galore.



Dagon Taryar (Taryar magazine, 1946)
Translation Dr Maung Maung Nyo (4.4.2007)

No comments: