April 1, 2007

The Violinist



The Violinist
(ta yaw shin)


Enter one house and exit another
He finishes the whole day in pleasure
No one dwelling says, “Have a drink, brother”
No one offers friendship and invites him in
He steadfastly sings on with his silver violin
So clever and experienced musician!

Your life
I like to borrow for a while
Then I would sing in style
Long and high crescendos calmly
To wander in Burma country
Like a fiery zany fiend let loose.

At the end of dawn
Where sweet and smiling lady yawns
Looking down from high glass window
If fortunate enough, I would see you though
Childhood sweet heart might miss me also
“Give me a betel pun and a cup of water
Please quick dear”
I request clearly for pleasure.

“You, beggar…
Go away, I cannot deliver”
She utters loudly
Uncultured and unbecoming of a royal lady
She shouted and ordered me so rudely
(Oh, this writer in a new body might
Pass through to another life
My first lover may cremate rightly
My dear demised body).

Min Thu Wun (1933) (B.E. 1295 Tagu/Kason Ghanhta Lawka magazine)
Translation Dr Maung Maung Nyo (1.4.2007)

No comments: