Thingyan And New Year

Thingyan And New Year
My heart leaps up when I hear thingyan
It was like this when I was six and
It is the same when I'm again seventy
My heart stays this way for eternity.
My mind goes back to younger days in Myanmar
Where we throw water shouting Thangyats and wander
Plucking Padauk flowers for buddha and ladies
Eating floating rice balls and Thingyan delicacies.
Now few burmese people can play it
Due to meagre water and electric supply
Honestly i like to cry
What happen to the off-shore gas and oil we find?
Thingyan is a merry occasion for the Burmese
But it's also sacred for the religious creeds
They go to pagodas and monks for peace
Let there be means and ends to meet.
May this thingyan be merry and peaceful;
May the coming new year be big and beautiful,
For all of you!
Dr. Maung Maung Nyo (13.4.2007)
No comments:
Post a Comment