October 12, 2008

Myanmar Characters in Malaysia

( Dr Maung Maung Nyo)



When I was going to come to Malaysia
I was afraid to be alone among strangers
I thought I would drown with stragglers
I may not last to stay more than a year.

However, I have stayed here for ten years
Happy, healthy, hale and hearty as ever
Ever jolly, never sorry with family and friends
They made a small Burma to enjoy and commend.

Yes, when I landed at Kuching Airport
A friend of mine popped up close
It was midnight, we went to the Holiday Inn
It was hot and humid, yet I felt cool within.




Dr Kyaw Tin Hla took care of me
From liaison thro lecture to laboratory
I became known to all in the medical faculty
Speaking, teaching and eating became secondary.

Dr Soe Soe New took care of my health
Besides feeding by cooking and culinary help
She and Kyaw Tin Hla were a great couple I felt
They guided and gave me help on all life’s aspects.

Drs Mie Chit also were a friendly couple
They invited me for dinner every weekend
They served roasted duck and “red label”
I was living in Kuching as in a legend.

Dr Maung Win is a Burmese Muslim
He came to Malaysia as a physician
He had been long in Kuching
His better half cooked amazing cuisine.

Our daughters enjoyed their stay here
They got their college education in INTI Theatre
They hopped later to universities in Australia
We’re glad they have graduated Master’s there.
We ate together, we shopped together
More Burmese joined UNIMAS ever
The crowd became bigger and better
Burmese became friendlier, funnier and fatter.

We visited Mulu cave and wondered
At Orang Utan and their ancestors
Humans also shared those forefathers
It’s a lesson in human evolution and evaders.

Burmese are fond of sharing meals
They invite you to eat and feel
At their home, work place or in their fields
Otherwise, they would send cooked meals.

Dr Maung Maung Ohn is a pious Buddhist
He is always absorbed in meditation mist
His wife cooked first class meat and fish
She sent food to us that could not be finished!



Dr Ba Kyaw is a Myanmar Muslim
I shared some tinned drink with him
His wife cooked special spicy cuisine
I could not finish though I repeated eating.

Mrs Tin Win is also a good cook
She specializes in all food
She sent cooked meals to us often
We ate together with her husband.

Daily lunch was taken over by Dr Soe Lwin’s
They drove their car for regular lunch-ins
We ate together Kolo Mee or Byriani
Eating, speaking, teaching was an ecstasy.

They sent food more than we could eat
It was especially cooked as a treat
To mark my birthday, theirs or other occasions
Like Waso, Wakyut, Thingyan and house warming.



If no occasion to meet together
Burmese called to each other
They would exchange news, big or small,
The Nargis and Saffron Revolution were great calls.

Burma’s news is spread fast in Malaysia
Every Burmese is eager to hear
Is it Diamond Jubilee or Diamond Wedding?
First for Rangoon Varsity and second for Royal(?) Offspring!

Kyaw Hein’s ordination evoked much interest
It uplifted the morale of Burmese depressed
Buddhism gives poor people a beacon of light
They can console and content with their life.

Still, my life in Kuching was gratifying
My life has been smooth and satisfying
Good job and experience was electrifying
Enjoyment and endowment were exhilarating!

Dr Maung Maung Nyo
13.10.2008 (original)







No comments: