October 12, 2008

Ode of Gratitude to UNIMAS

(Dr Maung Maung Nyo)




Oh! I have been here for ten years
It’s very surprising to hear
That I have been working long here
Now the place is to me very dear!

I had never heard of Kuching
Let alone the UNIMAS in offing
When I applied for job in the 1990s
It was just before I retired at sixty.

But I came to UNIMAS and Kuching
With much excitement and trepidation
That proved to be beneficial to me
UNIMAS has provided all the facility and amity.

I have a satisfying job
My wife also got a nod
Daughters’ education props
They could hop to Oz.

We enjoy living in Kuching
It provides many things
Food, friends and funding
We rejuvenated missing nothing.


Ten years seem not too long
It’s just like yesterday we found
Not growing old, no slowing down
We are happy and hearty all along.


Now that we have finished ten years
We must depart temporarily from here
We feel a bit a miss in the heart
But, it does not hurt very much!

When we think of it clear
It was fate we’ve hit here
It’s a kind of bliss to be sure
Thus it lasts only this so far.


Nine batches of medicos have graduated
They are doctors public has much awaited
They have filled the need as expected
We’re indeed glad, satisfied and satiated.

Students may come and students may go
So are the staffs, but UNIMAS grows
It has progressed from no where
It has achieved many things so far.

UNIMAS means University Malaysia Sarawak
It aims for excellence in all its products
Its logo is marked by a golden knowledge tree
Situated in the center of red and blue shield
Red denotes valour, blue peace and loyalty
It’s indeed a striking sentimental seal.


UNIMAS is a source of many things
It’s the seat of higher learning
It employs part of local population
It provides jobs for expatriate nations
It trains Malaysians in many professions
It researches and provides local themes
It’s part of local legends and dreams
It is indeed the legend!

I’m glad I’m part of the legend
I’m part of UNIMAS that transcends
Race, region, religion, all isms and schisms
It’s indeed the seat of higher learning
It’s the alma mater in all professions
It’s the guardian of truth in all undertakings
It’s the beacon of light guiding human beings
It’s the source of strength for Sarawakians
I’m glad I’m part of the legend
I’m a UNIMAS man!

Dr Maung Maung Nyo
13.10.2008 (original)
n

No comments: