Re: Anecdotes about Sayagyi U Kyee Paw
Dear Professor Hla Yee Yee,
Thank you very much for your anecdotes about Sayagyi U Kyee Paw. I also have some stories about him. He noticed me in the class for being anwering first either right or wrong.
(1) He once asked us what the Sakya (Tharki) did. I said they married among the relatives to preserve their purity.He said right and it was one of the cause for this patient's gangrene foot, that is diabetes mellitus.
(2) Another instance was he took in a case of cancer penis by wheel chair and he indicated me to do a workup in front of the clinic. I did well and he asked me what to do, I said subtotal amputation of the penis as lymphnodes are not involved yet.He asked me," Why subtotal, not total amputation of the penis?" I answered that it was for urination.He said, "Good answer" and let me go.The third time I was given an undescended testis case in the 11 AM clinic again.The patient was near 30 and he was recently married to a lady doctor. I managed the case or answered him well.He then asked me," Why did he come to see the surgeon so late?" I told him he(patient) was just married to the lady doctor and she prompted him to see you,Sir.He laughed and said it was true nd said, "He would be OK if no malignant changes."
(3) In one translation session with the university staff Saya and I were in the same committee for traslating basic medical terms and I translated these terms as follows:
artery= thwe hlut kyaw
vein= thwe pyan kyaw
venule=thwe pyan kyaw nge
capillary=san chi hmyin thwe kyaw
arteriiole=thwe hlut kyaw nge
tendon=ah yut lone
aponeurosis= ah yut pya
When U Kyaw Swe(Writer Min Kyaw) of translation department asked him whether he agreed or not, Saya said he agreed whole heartedly and he congratulated my command of Burmese and anatomy.Saya was very effusive in praising his own pupil.
During the first surgeons conference in Burma, of which Saya was president and chairman, I read a paper on micturition and ureteric reflux and Saya congratulated me profusely.As I was very active (or aggressive to some, swaggering!) , Dr Ronnie Myo Myint asked why such an active doctor had not become a surgeon, but a basic scientist! Saya answered for me," It's for his interest and choice".
I would go on more and I would like to publish a magazine in his memory and honour if I were in Burma at present.Some body should initiate this endeavour.
Thank you.
Yours sincerely,
Drr Maung Maung Nyo



No comments:
Post a Comment