Beantown Boston and Brown University
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
I have been to
Once during a flight from
To
Second time to Harvard as a visitor
Then during a
It was during the Fall Season overture.
(Boston Skyline)
I remember Boston Tea Party
When the British tea were thrown into the sea
The White Americans or First Colonists were angry
They shouted,” No Representation, no taxation” slogan
It was said the American Revolution began then!
(Boston Tea Party, Colonists Dressed as Indians!)
I also remember the “
When American soldiers were murdered
A point blank range by the British soldiers
I was astonished and taken aback by the massacre
As the British killing their brethren without mercy
There was no kindness in the British colonial policy.
(Bunker Hill Battle Painting by Turnbull)
What about the Bunker Hill
The British and colonists scrambled
They killed, they maimed and they disabled
Each other in turn for their success in battle
A government in Red Indian land
I’m sometime confused by their scramble.
( British PM Margaret Thacher and President Ronald Reagan)
Margaret Thatcher was in
She said,” Bostonian speak lousy English with twang”
She was paying a visit as the British Premier, a legend
She was popular and referred to as the “Iron lady” often
After the so-called the Falkland War with
She became a prime minister from a grocer’s daughter.
It was colder as snow covered in winter claws
Our plane was once delayed for 32 inch snow fall
People of course are progressive and warmer after all
The State of
(Brown University Providence Rhodes Island)
That was not an island but an inland land
But, the University is part of the Ivy League
It’s one of the most liberal and progressive
We attended Fulbright-Hays Scholars Seminar there
Prominent medical, political and social leaders chaired
They led us to discuss the theme,” For the
All agreed it’s poor and needed support from every where!
(Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts)
We looked around the
It’s Ivy League and all furnished fully
We’re shown the facilities for nuclear medicine
As well as laboratories for research and production
SIECUS was there to talk about sex education
I applauded their efforts for humanization.
(Harvard University)
At the end of conference, seminar adopted the declaration:
“Poverty of the third world is due to unequal distribution
Of wealth, technology and modern education;
It recommends equitable, not equal, distribution of wealth,
Technology transfer and promotion of third world health,
Child care and child health is fundamental to world health;
To provide adequate nutrition, sex education and birth control,
All measures to be taken to eliminate any thing taking the tolls.”
(Brown University, Providence, Rhodes Island)
There was a concluding dinner at the end
We were served with beer and baked clams
It was pure clam and salt baked by heated rocks
It was delicious and delegates gave loud applause.
(Clambake, Typical New England Delicacy)
It has only 25 miles radius to escape from boredom
It’s true many delegates came driving from
Only a few like us put up in the hotel in town
Then we went out every day to scout all round
I liked
We met some British Professors working along
They said they were glad with their pay and norms.
(Fall, Massachusetts, New England)
Fall in
All the tree and leaves were in golden hue
Yellow, brown, red and maroon leaves flew
It’s like butterflies browsing and flying full
I for one enjoyed very much the August hues
I’m sure this one was the season for all to view.
(Kennedy School of Government, Harvard)
Dr Kyaw Win took us to Harvard
He was studying there for research
We saw big brown buildings so smart
I remember a Love Story on the campus;
(Fall Colors, Acton, Massachusetts)
It’s about a girl and lover playboy
She suffered from leukemia and died
It was made into a movie and all cried
It was adapted in Burmese by speedy guys.
(Statue of John Harvard Who Donated His Wealth for Harvard)
Both are separated by a river or its tributary
Many Burmese have attended both Universities
I also remember salient events at the academies;
(Dr Henry Bigelow Who Acted as Expert by Spurning
His Professor While He was a Medical Student)
I remember the story of Henry Bigelow as student
He told an old man to stand aside, keep quiet and relent
While he was examining a patient with fractured femur
Not knowing the man he spurned was his professor,
Such were immature people arrogant in their behavior
Of course, Henry Bigelow himself later became professor,
There is a hip joint ligament named after him as he discovered
Some people acted as clown when young by challenging the teacher!
(Bunker Hill Monument, Boston)
It’s the place where American Revolution had started
Boston Tea Party and Bunker Hill Battle have been recorded
But, for me it’s the place where JFK was born and bred;
(JFK Library and Museum, Boston, Massachusetts)
There were relics of Kennedy presidency upheld
I remember Poet Robert Frost lived here in his adult life
He honored Kennedy by reciting poem in presidential inauguration
I cheered both President Kennedy and Frost for their contributions!
(Robert Frost Reciting Poetry at JFK Inauguration)
We’re in the midst of US Bicentenary Celebrations
As
We heard Yankee Doodles and all the singing
No doubt
I really understood the American Pride soaring
(Yankee Doodle for US Bicentennial Celebrations)
I liked listening to Yankee Doodle anthem
It’s a marching song praising George Washington
He was leading the fight for colonialist freedom
He was like
(General George Washington, the First US President)
He fought for
It was his mission in life to be won;
We therefore compare Aung San to
I think it’s a fitting one!
(General Aung San, The Martyr of Burma's Independence)
It has produced so many heroes of human race
Original thinkers, philosophers, poets, politicians
Artists, essayists, academicians and statesmen;
(Henry David Thoreau of Civil Disobedience Fame)
I remember Henry David Thoreau’s civil disobedience
He urged disobeying unjust laws and ordinance
Tolstoy, Gandhi and Martin Luther King endorsed
I remember Aung San Su Kyi commended!
(Aung San Suu Kyi with the People following Non-violence Policy)
For me traveling world wide is to learn more
It’s not for boasting your glow or for show
I learned from developed countries to develop mine
It’s for the benefit of my country and I’m not shy
I like
I’ll never forget their debts until I die!
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
06.01.2009























No comments:
Post a Comment