January 7, 2009

Warm and Wonderful Washington DC II

Dr Maung Maung Nyo

We visited the White House and Capitol too
The one who occupies the White House rules
However, some residents of White House were not prudent
They have occupied it and behaved as delinquent;


(The White House, Washington DC)

Some waging war on false pretext and indifferent
To people and world opinion as unimportant
Vietnam War and Iraq War were waged on such evidence
That was flimsy and false to the point of foolishness and pretense.


(The Capitol, Washington DC)

There are great occupiers of White House too
I saluted Washington, Lincoln and a few
Jefferson, Roosevelt and Kennedy I knew
They had performed their duty in full;
Not only for their country but also for humanity efforts
Some presidents were elected with fewer ballots
How could they represent the majority on record?
So, they could not achieve much and flopped!


(Famous US Presidents Before Franklin Roosevelt and JFK)

I have been to Washington DC several times
From the first arrival to later times assigned
As my supervisor and coordinators determined
My medical education program and time;
It was never boring to visit the memorable in the city
Washington was also the hub of my happy itinerary
To Baltimore, Williamsburg and Virginia Country
I felt somehow romantic on seeing those localities.


(Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia,USA)

I cannot forget my visit to Williamsburg
It’s a city of the American colonial past
I saw colonists living and working in rust
It’s of course those things were reconstructs;
But, they really struck me as much
How the English men and women lived as such
Leaving the native England to a place so harsh
I marveled at their courage and sacrifices so adventurous!


(Colonial Williamsburg)

Many Burmans lived around Washington DC
In Virginia and Maryland suburban country
Dr Kyaw Win once took me to a lady doctor
She was Dr Pe Thein’s younger sister;
She entertained us to tea and biscuits
She was now married and not in practice mood
She said she missed Burma and Burmese festivals
Her son had become behaving more international.


(Statue of Vietnam Veterans at Vietnam War Memorial, Virginia)

Ambassador U Lwin also gave us a dinner
Dinner was served in his residential quarters
We’re feted with Burmese curries and Balachaung
He told us about international politics that frowned
Burma for her violation of human rights all along
He had been shun by the diplomats as wrong
To represent repressive government out of norms
Still he had to serve as duty bound.


(Burma-Myanmar, Embassy, in Washington DC)

Attache U San Maung gave us a luncheon in his mansion
He was a teacher of Dr Kyaw Win and Dr Than Zin
Both were former TTC practicing school students with him
Now, I found a hospitable host and sincerely thanked him
He said I was one of them and be proud of the position
But, it seemed I’m sucking sugar cane of white elephant’s ration
I wrote about this when I reached back Rangoon on end of mission
I never forget the food as it was Myee-shay of Mandalay style cooking.


(VOA Building, Washington DC)

I visited some Burmese working at the VOA
They had been there for a longer stay
They were happy as they were given good pays
Spouses could also moonlight to have their say
Children had good prospects and better way
Than in Burma where education was in the fray
They would try to stay permanently in USA
I did not blame them as it was the weary way.


(Washington DC at Night, both Intriguing and Intimidating)

For me Washington DC is beautiful and intriguing
It’s the seat of the most powerful government existing
Most American politicians like to live in it occupying
The all powerful positions in the world not withstanding
Yet they blamed the “Washington insiders” and they being
Washington outsiders bent for changing the mood within
I do not understand their ego in playing the “blame game”
After all, Washington is the seat of federal government, plain!


(Insein in Dilapidated Condition)

I have been to Aung San Myo or Town
It was dilapidated and down
Only a few people lived around godowns
It was transformed into a ward of Insein now
I wish Aung San Myo become a capital city
Deserving the name of our Hero Martyr duly
Like the warm wonderful Washington DC
May Burma become truly an independent country!


( General Aung San and Sir Hubert Rance posed with Cabinet
preparatory to Independence; Front Right Extreme U Tin Tut ICS,
Back Right Extreme Thein Pe Myint, Left of Rance Bagyi Ba Pe)

Dr Maung Mang Nyo
08.01.2009

No comments: