My Premedical Year in Rangoon
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
Prologue
After passing my premedical matriculation examination in April 1955 (Results announced in May) I had to join the special intermediate class opened at the
(Rangoon University Convocation Hall)
Journey to
In the second week of June, my brother in law Maung Maung accompanied me to go to
(Inya Lake Cock Island, Kyet Kyun)
We went to Head Mistress Daw Kyin Myaing’s home to pay respects to her and to inform her that I was going to
(Chancellor Road Viewed From the Convocation Hall of RU)
I went and called on some of the teacher resident in
(Judson Hall Where Students Functions Were Held During Our Time)
Saya U Tin U was also glad that I had passed the examination with flying colours. He told my success to his wife and daughter. They were well known to me too. They gave me good wishes when I paid respects to them by kowtowing. I had kowtowed to Daw Kyin Myaing and U Soe Min too.
At the
(Thit-Poke-Pin On the Chancellor Road Where Love Stories were
Made During Our Days)
The First Time in
I was delighted when we reached the main railway station in
(Student Union, RUSU, Building on Chancellor Road That Was Demolished by
General Ne Win in July 1962)
Maung Maung’s aunt was surprised and glad that her nephew had come without prior information. She made us at home easily and gave us some tea and snacks. She had a young son with her while her husband was away on a business trip. Maung Maung had a good time talking with her and after a shower she took us to several houses where Maung Maung’s relatives lived. He introduced me to them and they were delighted that I was joining the
(Rangoon University Dhammayone or Auditorium)
The next day we went to Ba Saing’s Amara Hall and met him in his room. He accompanied us to the Convocation Hall where we had some business and and then to the Registration Office near the Thit-Poke-Pin. Ba Saing said to me, “This is the famous Thit-Poke-Pin where lovers meet under it. Look! There is a few couples there.” I looked at it and I found some young men and young women there. They looked healthy and well dressed. I understood they were university students by their dress, look and manners. They were different from the people on the street. We finished registering and hostel application as Ba Saing knew all the people there.
(Cover of The Old Mandalay Hall Residents Association on the Occasion
of the Diamond Jubilee of the Rangoon University with Portrait of College Gin Ne Win)
Maung Maung took me to the Shwedagon Pagoda, Bogyoke Market and Theigyizay the next day. He asked me to buy some presents for my family in Monywa as he was leaving the next night after I had moved to the Mandalay Hall. So, I bought some fancy articles and Durian Jam that my mother liked. I used to bargain prices as I had read Thawdarswe’s articles on Rangoon’s vendors and Maung Maung was very ashamed and told me,
” Why did you ask for a bargain? That money was negligible”. I smiled and replied, “ It was for fun , brother. I was following Thawdarswe’s advice.” He smiled and said,” Oh, You are a literary fanatic!”
(Shwedagon Pagoda, Symbol of Burma and Rangoon)
My University Life
(Rangoon General Hospital or RGH in Short)
We attended the classes at 8.00 AM in the morning and each lecture lasted for 50 minutes. We then took other classes according to the timetable issued to us. We belonged to the Special Premedical Class and we attended our special classes as well as the Intermediate B classes. We were in the B section for that purpose. I remember many of our teachers till today.
(Sule Pagoda in the Centre of Rangoon)
U Myo Min took over the professor post of English from Dr Htin Aung as the latter was appointed the Rector and lecturers (later Professors) Miss E. Kangyi, Daw Thein Nyunt, Daw Tinza Maw Naing, Daw Tin Saw Mu, Daw Khin May and sister Daw Aye Kyin taught us English. Daw Thein Nyunt was memorable as she would recall her
(The O'Way Magazine Committee of the University of Rangoon,
1936 With Aung San as the Editor in Black Jacket)
U Aye Maung was our Burmese professor. His “Anu Sarpay Kauk Note Chet (Excerpts From Burmese Romantic Literature)” was a prescribed book for poetry, but there were other books like “Zinattha Pakarthani” and ‘Kyikanshingyi’s Love Letters”. U Ba Myiang and U Hla Shwe taught us most.They became professor later. U Hla Shwe died as the Rector of Mandalay University. I met him several times before he died. I also accompanied Saygyi U Aye Maung’s Funeral to the Kyandaw Cemetery. He donated his house on the
(Faculty of Medicine or Rangoon Medical College)
Our physics professor was Dr Maung Maung Kha. He was short in stature, but long in mind and kind. Lecturers Brawaja, U Tin Aung and Saya Chu taught us well. Maung Maung Kha later became Rector of Rangoon University and he was always popular with students. Tin Aung went to
U Pho Thar was our chemistry professor, but U San Tun, Mr Chowdhury and B.K. Pal taught us. U San Tun later became a State Councilor during BSPP government as he greeted U Ne Win cordially whenever he met him near the
(Aung San as President of RUSU and All Burma Student Unions)
Our biology department was unique in the world as it combined botany and zoology. Head of the Department was Dr Lindsey, a Ph.D. in zoology. She was appointed to this job as the former Professor, a veterinarian had resigned. He was Dr Hla Gyaw, husband of Daw Yi Kyein, a prominent lady social worker and educationist. D Hla Gyaw was an MRCVS, Ph.D. (
(The Thity Comrades For Burma's Independence: General Aung San
in the Centre of Front Row Between Bohmu Aung in Monk Dress and Thakhin Kodaw Hmaing;
many comrades belonged to Rangoon University Like Bo Aung San, Bo Let Ya, Bo Zeya, Bo Yan Naing)
Well, we were taught zoology by Daw Kyi Kyi, a saintly statue-like beauty who became professor later and we met frequently. Another beauty was Nellie Sa, a daughter of a Shan Saopha and very modern and vivacious. She wore perfume all the time and I always called her to come and show me specimens during my practical classes. She exclaimed,” Why does Mang Nyo call me so frequently?” I told her,” It’s because you are beautiful and fragrant. I’m dissecting the formalin- preserved animals, so strong smelling!”. She smiled and said,” Oh, Maung Nyo, you are so sweet!”. She went for further study abroad and later married a zoology professor in
(Thakhin Nu, Left and General Aung San, Right)
Botany was taught by Saya Maung Maung Pyone, Mr Bell and Daw Khin Kyi. Maung Maung Pyone went to
Daw Khin Kyi later changed to chemistry department. In those days graduates specialized or majored in two or three subjects and they could transfer to any department of their choice of subjects. The most famous was Professor G.H. Luce as he left the English Department for History Department. He became an authority on Burmese History particularly on Pagan (Bagan) Period. His students included Dr Kyaw Thet, Dr Khin Maung Nyunt, Dr Yi Yi and Major Ba Shin. All were prominent Burmese historians.
(Graduates of the Rangoon University: Sitting Zaw Gyi, Left; Minthuwun, Right;
Standing L to R: Zaw Zaw Aung, Win Mun, Aung Thin, Min Maw)
Extra-curricular Activities
The benefit of being a university student is that you are treated as an adult and you
are at liberty to choose your classes, friends, hobbies and societies as well as your future wife. The benefit of belonging to a multi-faculty university is also you have a broader horizon and more opportunities for learning, friendship and experience. I was therefore appalled to hear that a medical graduate from Burma living in USA claimed there is no difference in the experience of graduates coming from single faculty university like institute of medicine and those coming from multi-faculty university like from the medical college of Rangoon University. What a poor fellow! He did not remember his alma mater, his country of birth and now saying those unintelligent nonsense!
(The First Flag of Independent Burma As Envisaged By General Aung San)
I used to visit all the faculties in the
(General Aung San Asking For Burma's Independence in London;
L to R: Bagyi Ba Pe, Clement Atlee, General Aung San, U Tin Tut, Briton)
The Brain Trust held on Saturday nights at Judson all was also well attended. I remember Daw Khin Myo Chit talking about patriotism and U Law Yone on English language. U Law Yone was not a university graduate, but he spoke and wrote very good English. He asked the students to work hard for education and to become graduates at the end of regular time span. He supported the 3-F system of the AFPFL Government as it compelled students to study and pass examination. He gave his son Edwin Law Yone as good example as he was studious to become a medical doctor, not failing any class. He was booed by us at that time, but I now know he was right.
(Lake-Khon Building; First Faculty of Engineering, then, Department of Higher Education
and Institute of Medicine 1 Anatomy and Physiology Departments etc.)
I also took part in the political debates and discussions held at the university. I supported the Tat-U ( Student United Front or SUF) as most of the students were. Tat- U worked for betterment of students’ conditions and aspirations, sometimes at the detriment of the AFPFL Government. It was left leaning to say the least. Many of its leaders joined the opposition parties like Khin Maung Ohn or the underground Communist Party (CPB) like Ba Swe Lay and Tun Kyi. Ba Swe Lay was a leader of Tat-U and later served as the President of Rangoon University Student Union, but he later went underground and died there. Tun Kyi was a third year medical student at the
(Independence Monument, Rangoon, Burma)
There were picnics arranged by the district students association like the Mandalay Students Association, Prome (Pyi) Students Association and
We could also participate in religious activities freely. There were Buddhist, Christian, Islam and Hindu students association at the
I also attended lectures given at the Convocation Hall on some Saturdays. Dr Htin Aung, Dr Hla Bu, Professor Pe Maung Tin and Professor G.H. Luce used to give. I was fortunate to have listened to such prominent people.
Political Activities
The
(U Nu or Thakhin Nu, Former President of RUSU and
The First Premier of Independent Burma)
There was another mass meting I remember at the
U Nu and U Kyaw Nyein also gave talks. They were not very popular with students at that time. They had heir student body called the DSO (Democratic Students Organistion). It was spoken of as a stooge of the AFPFL particularly of U Kyaw Nyein as he was the top socailist leader at that time. Students asked them,” Why did you send your children to missionary schools if the State High Schools are of good standard?” Most of the students in
(First Constitution Drawing Led By General Aung San)
Literary Activities
University students in our days were fond of literature. We looked upon writing abilities as an accomplishment and famous varsity writers were popular. We also had a good opinion of editors as General Aung San and Dagon Taryar had been O’Way (Voice of Peacocks) Magazine editors. Many writers took their pen names with Varsity (Tekkatho) in front of their pen name like Tekkatho Maung Thant Zin (Professor Aye Maung), Tekkatho Ne Win ( Personal Secretary to General Aung San) etc. Other prominent university graduate writers were Thein Pe Myint, Nyo Mya, Theikpan Maung Wa, Zaw Gyi, Minthuwun, Aung Thin, Min Maw, Kyi Aye etc.
(Thakhin Kodaw Hmaing, The GOM of Burma)
I therefore wrote in the wall newspapers of the Mandalay Hall named Anaing Makhan (The Invincible). I also distributed them for the Hall. Actually, I had been writing articles and short stories since 7th standard and only the heavy load of learning prevented me from doing so now.
Besides the halls, the district associations and subject associations also published their own numbers. The RUSU (Rangoon University Students Union) also published an annual magazine. The RUSU building was a hive of students’ activities until it was demolished by General Ne Win in 1962. I was in the Shan State at that time.
I devoted my writing only after I obtained my Ph.D. in 1969.
Epilogue
The Rangoon Univerity in our time was a great educational institution with full of activities. Students have more liberty and opportunities than those of the latter generations. Many teachers and students enjoyed scholarships and awards to go and study abroad. The university teachers of later generations were the students and teachers of our time. The University then was autonomous too. The
(Logo of the University of Rangoon, 1920-1964)
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
20.01.2009























No comments:
Post a Comment