Warm and Wonderful Washington DC I
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
We disembarked the plane at Dulles International
That looked unimpressive on first perusal
But, it was teeming with tourists and technological;
(Dulles International Airport)
Even the passenger car was fitted with latest technical
We’re taken care of by Burmese Embassy Official
State Department had delegated its approval
Immigration and customs cleared us as VIP personnel.
(Aerial View of Washington DC)
We’re taken in the Burmese Ambassador’s car
The driver was paid more than our Ambassador
He was a Latino, lean and livid, with a moustache
He just drove and spoke only a few words with us
He came to the Embassy driving his own Mercedes
Life in
He was just a Peruvian immigrant a few years ago
Now, he was earning like any American White or so!
Cherry Blossoms in Washington DC; Note Jefferson Memorial)
It was clear and sunny every day
We roamed about in and out of the city
Streets were lined with pink cherry trees
We noticed more Blacks roaming the streets
It was the US Federal Government Capital
More Blacks worked in the services of Federal.
(Lincoln Memorial, Washington DC)
There are many historical places in the city
We visited the Lincoln Memorial as a priority
I wanted to see it since I was in younger days
(Statue of Lincoln in Lincoln Memorial)
He preserved the
No one could have done it as slavery was the rule
It was against great odds and difficulties, he knew
Ultimately he abolished it and gave up his life due.
(Jefferson Memorial, Washington DC)
Jefferson Memorial was not far away
We also saluted him on the same day
Thomas Jefferson was the architect of
He had written the US Constitution to stay
The basis of
To establish democratic countries till today
He was a patriot and great American servant
He served as diplomat, Secretary of State and President.
(Washington Monument, Washington DC)
The most striking is the
It looks like a tall solid column in rocket ascent
But it is a hollow one with elevator and viewing stands
We could look around
I was so thrilled and excited often that I sang
The praises of George Washington and Americans
That built the city and its memorable buildings so grand
We should take lesson from this to honor patriotic Burmans.
(Arlington National Cemetery Changing of the Guards)
We visited the
It denotes the American heroism and tragedies
I saw the eternal flame at the grave of President Kennedy
It was burning brightly but benignly;
(JFK Grave With Eternal Flame; How Tragic, Romantic and Sad!)
It marks the grave of an inspiring man
Who was murdered by a lone hand (so they pretend)
Or was he killed by his own men in conspiracy?
It’s very difficult to carry out alone this infamy!
(Assassinated Kennedy Brothers, JFK and RFK)
I watched the grave of Robert F Kennedy too
Kennedy brothers gave up their lives for their view
That espoused universal love, freedom and equality
They promoted civil rights, peace and democracy
They fought against crimes, apartheid and tyranny
No wonder, they were gunned down by conspiracy
Think of it how two brothers were killed one after another
One was in the high office and another almost there!
(Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, Washington DC)
One night we were taken to the
We watched the American ballet and drama
It was the icon of American culture and theater
American Presidents and VIP frequented often there;
(Lyndon Johnson Taking Oath of Office After JFK Assassination)
President Johnson greeted Jackie Kennedy in the theater
After JFK was assassinated and he became the President
He must be sad and feeling guilty after all the evil events
How was he spared and JFK assassinated?
(President JFK and Jacqueline before His Assassination)
There were no remarkable shopping malls or centers
At least not to the scale of
I remember visiting army and navy store and super markets
There were plenty of people and all kinds of goods spread
But, we had all we needed and we did not buy anything yet
It was too early since we arrived, plenty of time we still had
We decided just to window-shop and talk at that as set
Burmese ambassador, officials and friends were glad.
(Smithsonian Institution or Museum, World's Largest)
The one I liked best in
It’s Smithsonian and we visited it as a day’s forum
It was a great museum in many grand buildings
Actually it would take more than a day for studying;
(The Blue Hope Diamond at Smithsonian Museum)
I liked the Hope Diamond and Paleontology Section
I’m always fascinated by minerals and Man’s evolution
I was really fortunate to have visited it and seen!
(Skulls of Modern Human, Neanderthal and Lucy)
07.01.2009
















No comments:
Post a Comment