January 1, 2009

Happy Hilarious Hong Kong

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


I have happy memories of Hong Kong

That stays in my mind in form, strong

I just have visited only once until now

But, they shine as ageing has come along!


(Panoramic View of Hong Kong)


The word ’Hong Kong” has been familiar

Since I was studying in Monywa, Burma

Many of my friends talked about it as theirs

They had friends and relatives living there.


(Hong Kong Kow Loon Skyline by Night)


Then, in Mandalay I came upon Hong Kong

I met it as stores and shops and toys named adorn

Selling food, fabrics, flowers, foot wears all forms

I also met daughters of Hong Kong pretty in gowns.


(A Chinese Lady in Cheng-Tian Chinese Dress))


A friend boasted they have visited Hong Kong

It was full of fun and food for frolickers fawn

I was sad when left by bright Professor Wong

She left Burma for good after teaching so long;



(Hong Kong Harbour)


But she was not the first or last to leave Burma

So many Chinese friends had left us earlier

I remember my colleagues Chan, Tan and Ma

They emigrated after graduation from Burma!


(Aberdeen Harbour With Chinese Samphans)


So, I was thrilled to visit Hong Kong

It’s the ‘Pearl of the East’ so renowned

I liked “the World of Suzie Wong”

It’s an epic film portraying its norms

Maybe about the life of a girl down

A street walker trying to survive all along;


(The World of Suzie Wong, an Epic Film and Novel)


But, it was a good film and story

I still have it in vivid memory.


(Man Mo Temple where Suzie Wong Was partly Filmed)


I was fortunate to visit it with a friend

He had his sister’s family in residence

We put up there and slept in living room

Other wise it was comfortable and boom.


(Suzie Wong Bar and Night Club)


We visited stores, shops and shores

What struck me were people in tow

They were there in shops and shores

Buyers, sellers, pickpockets and more

Each one was doing his chore

Not interested in other's mores

It’s a world of people in throes

I just have to put my life on hold.


(Hong Kong Market, Shops and Restaurants- Shopper's Paradise)


We ate at restaurants and roadside stalls

Food was plenty, varied and cheap for all

Delicious Cantonese food and special call

Dog meat, dragon bones, snakes and spiders

We could devour all those on special order

Hong Kong is the haven of foods bonanza!


(Snake Shop, Hong Kong)


We visited Victoria Port and Harbour

It was a busy view point and plaza

The Aberdeen Harbour was quieter

We enjoyed the scenic view and cool water

There were two floating restaurants there

The prices were high and we did not bother.


(Tallest Buddha Statue in Exterior on Landau Island, Hong Kong)


We climbed the hill top in car

Our friend drove it in fast gear

We met locals who followed us

They taunted us with swear words;

Our friend told us it was the norm

Abusive people abound in Hong Kong.


(Cable Car Gondola for Hill Top Buddha Statue)


We climbed the top in the electric car

It was like riding a slow helicopter

We paid homage to the Buddha

It was a big sitting image in splendor.


(Tiger Balm Garden, Kow Loon, Hong Kong)


We also visited places of Suzie Wong

It was typical hideouts for women of down

Crowded, cruel, callous and conned

I pity the down trodden of town;


(Tsing Ma Suspension Bridge, Hong Kong)


But we had a bright side in the rubble

A friend couple invited us to their ‘castle’

It was situated in the mid- levels

We had a wonderful Burmese lunch special.


(Flag of SAR Hong Kong with a White Five Petal Bauhinia Flower)


It was before the transfer to Communist China

People were anxious how they would fare

I felt the pain of my friends who escaped Burma

Thinking they had left authoritative regime for ever

But, they would be facing the worse dictators

We therefore did not try to see our colleagues altogether.


(Quiet Serene Hong Kong, for a few at least?)


Luckily, Deng Xiao-Ping had a better idea

He stated,” One country, two systems” formula.

Now, Hong Kong is thriving after transfer

Albeit chaos like ‘Bird Flu” and “Fa Lu Ja”

It’s still a world’s financial centre and a “tiger”

Walt Disney has opened a “Walt Disney Land

People of Asia are flocking to it often

I’m sure Hong Kong will be in up trend.


(Disney Land, Hong Kong)


The name “Hong Kong’” is quite popular

We have many stores bearing it in Burma

It’s a Cantonese word meaning “Fragrant Harbour

It was spelt “Shang Kang” in English earlier

A Yangon restaurant is named as such in Burma

It was not opened by our Shan (Tai) brothers

I miss my Shan Prince Professor working in America

He wore British styled suit ordered from Hong Kong tailors!


(Jackie Chan Poster)


I know there are many films set in Hong Kong

A Countess from Hong Kong and James Bond

Bruce Lee and his son had movies made all along

Jackie Chan, Chow Yun-Fat, Michelle Yeoh abound;


(Michelle Yeoh, Malaysian Born Chinese Star)


I enjoyed their films hilarious and in form

Hong Kong is a center of Chinese film industry

Shaw Brothers was a famous movie making company

Shaolin Soccer and Cantonese films are full of comedy.

I still remember another film

It was based on memoirs of Han Su Yin

“Love is a many splendor thing”;


(A Scene from Love is a Many Splendor Thing)


A Chinese lady doctor fell in love with him

An American reporter killed in Korean fighting

It was about love, war, communism and imperialism

It was set in Hong Kong and its traditions

I still remember Jennifer Jones in splendid fashion.


( A Scene from Love is a Many Splendor Thing at a HK Hospital)

Apart from sightseeing, eating and shopping

People can bet on horse racing

Some may go to Macao for large scale betting

My friend had gone to both places to bet and win;


(Most Famous Casino in Macau, Casino Lisboa)


He is fortunate having won the Irish car racing

He won the gray hound racing in Florida in between

He won again in Hong Kong racing and Macao Casino betting!


(Gambling Casino in Macau)


I know much water has flowed under the bridge

Many changes have taken place in Hong Kong indeed

It has become a “Special Administrative Region”

Many people have left Hong Kong and many more move in

There is influx of people from the Mainland China regions

The system of Government remains British as in the beginning

Rule and order prevails and education is in high esteem

Its universities and hospitals are high class in the region.


(University of Hong Kong Building)


Hong Kong and Burma have cordial history

Teachers of Rangoon University used to be

Senior teachers of Hong Kong or in reciprocity

Rangoon Medical College was famous in its territory

Its M.B.,B.S. was eligible for London M.D.

It’s an honour as London M.B., B.S. was necessary.


(Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Kowloon, Hong Kong)


The past is the pillar of present that pays

Present is past of the future paving new ways

Experience of the past gives us wisdom of today

Without it we would be wasting our days!



(To Drs Myint Han’s and Yi Yi Chit Maung’s Families)


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

02.01.2009 (original)

No comments: