My Premedical Years in Mandalay
(Mandalay Fort, Moat and Mandalay Hill)
Epilogue
I have spent several times in
The first time was when I studied at the No. 1 State High School at Dhadan on the
(The Mahamuni Buddha Image in Mandalay)
Boarding House Or Hostel
In June 1953, my elder brother U Hla Than took four of us, Mya Maung, Bo Htwar, Tin Aung and me, from Monywa to Mandalay first by bus and then by steamer up the Irrawaddy from Myinmu to the Mandalay Gawwain Jetty. There was no train service yet between Monywa and
(Gaw-Wain Jetty, Mandalay)
The senior premedical student Khin Maung Than told us to put up at the boarding house for them at the
(Zegyo Clock Tower, Mandalay)
There were about 15 students at U Tha Win’s house and water and electricity were supplied 24 hours a day. Three meals were served every day and students were to pay only Kyat 40 per month. It was an equivalent of about US $10. It was very cheap indeed. The food was also good. However, there would be about 40 students coming that year and U Tha Win could not cope with. So, he requested the Head Mistress of the No. 1 State High School Daw Kyin Myaing that he be spared the warden’s duty that year and to find another suitable place for premedical students. So, the Head Mistress found a new place for us at Saya U Tin U’s house on
(Royal Palace Compound, Mandalay)
Premedical Class
The premedical class was the brain child of Colonel Min Sein, Professor of Medicine and Dean of the
(Kyaukse Elephant Dance)
We had to study English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Trigonometry, Algebra, Geometry and Mathematics in English and Burmese in Burmese. We had to study Buddhism too. Every morning from 9.00 AM to 9.30 AM we had to pay respects to the Three Buddhist Gems by reciting Buddhist hymns. The non-Buddhist students were spared from that routine or ritual. I sometime said, I was not a Buddhist to escape that routine when I liked to read the lessons for half an hour. But, my class teacher U Tint Hlaing would not spare me and he said that I belonged to a Buddhist family and I must be religious.
(Statue of Buddha on Mandalay Hill Pointing to the Mandalay City)
He was very fond of me as I was topping the class in the class tests. U Tint Hlaing taught us Biology and Algebra. He was a good teacher. He later became the Director-General of Fisheries Department in
Premedical Activities
The premedical lessons were given all in English except Burmese and we had to perform the practical in science subjects. We were learning the basic sciences for the first time and it was very difficult at the beginning and some students could not follow it. Therefore one or two students applied to withdraw from the course and it was granted. One student from Bhamo graduated B.A. later and became a teacher. Another student from Monywa became an Engineer and he migrated to
(Sagaing Hill Dotted With pagodas)
We usually studied from 6 AM to 8 Am in the morning and then we took shower and breakfast. We went to school at 8.30 AM and at 9.00 AM we had to stand in the assembly and saluted the national flag singing the National Anthem, “ This is our country (Dar Dho Pyay)”. Then, we recited Buddhist scriptures up to 9.30 AM. Only then our classes began. There was a break at 12 noon for lunch and classes began again at 1.00 PM. It continued up to 4.00 PM. We rode back to our boarding house or hostel then. We would rest for about half an hour and then we would play, usually cane ball or badminton. Sometimes we played football. We stopped playing at about 5.30 or 6.00 PM, took shower and dinner.
(Sagaing Hill and Inwa Bridge, Wrongly Called Sagaing Bridge)
We then studied up to 10 or 11 PM. I usually studied from 7 PM to 12 PM. Some of my friends teased me not to study that much as the medical course to become a doctor would take us 8 or 9 years saying, “We must maintain our health”, but I went on studying on my schedule and they did not bother me again when I topped the class at the first class examination.
(Maha-Aungmye-Bonzan Okkyaung Built by Mai Nu, Inwa)
On Saturday, we would wash our clothes and after lunch we would go to town for cinema or walking at Zegyo, the most crowded place in
(Mingun Bell Weighing 9 Tons, The World's Largest; In Burmese it says 55555 Viss)
I had a good supply of money at that time as my parents sent me pocket money in addition to my scholarship and stipend that were more than enough for the hostel fees. There were no tuition fees to be paid as education then was free. I was very fortunate that I did not have to pay any tuition fee for my school and university years until I graduated M.B., B.S. in March 1961. I would like to give credit to the AFPFL Government for that free education system for the country.
(Mingun Sinbyume Pagoda)
On Sundays, Saya U Tint Hlaing would take us to various parks, pastures and places around
(Maymyo or Pyin-Oo-Lwin Town Centre)
We also went to visit nearby places like Tada-U, Inwa, Sagaing. We visited those places several times as there were class mates from Tada-u and Sagaing. Maung Kaung was from Sagaing. He’s proud of his town. He took us to Kaung Mu Daw Pagoda and Sagaing Hills. I was happy looking at the
(Royal Botanical Gardens, Maymyo; Note a Black Swan in the Pond)
At other weekends when U Tint Hlaing was not taking the excursions, Saya U Khin Maung Nyo would organize bicycle trip out side
(Gokteik Viaduct Bridge)
I remember going to Mingun by bicycles and we had to sleep at the Buddhist Monastery near the Mingun Bell as it was too late to come back to
(Maymyo Waterfall)
It’s true that misfortune never comes alone. One Sunday, U Tint Hlaing, U Khin Mung Nyo and U Aye Kyaw organized a picnic for the two premedical classes that had about 80 students. They hired two buses and two Shan Ozis (Long drums). We went to Maymyo or Pyin-OO-Lwin early in the morning from
(Paikchimyaing Cave with Pond and Budha Statues, Maymyo)
We then had lunch and dances with Shan Ozi. The Ozi players were so jubilant and may be a bit euphoric with alcohol that they hit with force and the drums became cracked. We did not know until we arrived back in
(Five Standing Buddha Statues on Kyaukse Hill)
U Khin Maung Nyo also took us by train to Kyaukse. He telephoned his uncle in Kyaukse that we were coming for a day visit and his uncle kindly feted us about 20 students with lunch and snacks. He also took us to the Kyaukse Hill and Webu Sayadaw by his guides and himself. It was a most satisfying trip by train as we came back from Kyaukse by Rangoon Mandalay Express Train that was brand new at that time.
(Cyclists Riding at the Foot of Mandalay Hill)
Then we had an education exhibition in December and January on the Southern Moat Plaza. The Premedical Class catered three sessions namely physics, chemistry and biology. I took responsibility in explaining common physical phenomenon like gravity, magnetism, electricity and hydraulics to laymen. I could explain fluently and emphatically in Burmese and English and Saya U Aye Kyaw, my physics teacher, was very much impressed. There were some junior science teachers from the
(Famous Mandalay Thingyan or Water Festival)
The chemistry session showed the extraction of oxygen and hydrogen gases in the laboratory and the produced hydrogen gas was stored in a cylinder. Then, we bought some packets of rubber balloons and inflated each ballon with hydrogen gas. We sold those balloons as Sky Fling Balloons (Mo Pyan Bubaung) and it sold like hot cakes. We were wearing the premedical uniforms of white
(Kaungmudaw Pagoda, Sagaing)
At the end of first year, U Khin Maung Nyo and U Aye Kyaw passed their respective B.Sc. final examinations held by the
(U Bein Bridge, Amarapura, Built from the Timber of the Old Palace)
Then, he sat for his B.Sc. final examination in June and he passed also. His wife wanted him to continue staying and teaching in
(Thanbuddhay Pagoda, Monywa, Built During WW II)
Second Year Premedical Class
Every thing went smoothly in our first premedical year. My parents were delighted that
I learned a lot from
(The Irrawaddy River Cruise Ship)
In the second year, our hostel was changed from U Tin U’s house to a vacant house owned by the Education Ministry at the back of the General Post Office on C (Cee) Road. It was close to the West Moat. This time, Saya U Soe Min took charge of us as the Hostel Warden. He was a bachelor (Single) and he taught us English. Besides, he sponsored sport for us. We played basket ball and badminton as he played them too. We had a happy time with him as he was good-natured, benevolent and taught us English and Chemistry at his free times. He had taken Chemistry during his university years. He only later changed to history and English literature for his final B.A. examination that he passed with distinction.
(The Bagaya Teak Monastery, Inwa)
He would give us a talk on every important day of the nation (
(Burmese Beauty Sao Ohn Nyunt in Mandalay Era Dress)
He would also teach us how to act in play. We staged a play on the school opening day and I was selected as the main actor. I am an old man looking for a groom for my daughter, but I do no agree to any rich and rowdy suitor until I meet a medical doctor. It’s a hilarious script and the audience exploded with explicit uncontrollable laughter. All the teachers of the No.1 State High School of that time still remember me for that act. U Soe Min married before our final examination and he died as a lecturer in English at the
(Mandalay Before WW II Near the Clock Tower of Zegyo Market)
Results of the Premedical Matriculation Examination
We sat for the final premedical matriculation examination in the first week of April 1955 and I did very well in all subjects. Both the written and practical examinations were conducted at the
(The Last King and Queen of Burma from Mandalay, Thibaw and Suphayalat)
The examination results came out on the 30th of May and I passed from the First Division with Distinction in Physics. Only 6 students passed from the First Division and we were to join the
So, I saved one year to become a doctor and my scholarship was ensured until I graduated M.B., B.S. Only 30 students from
(My Hope to be Trained at The Rangoon General Hospital)
Envoi
Most of my classmates of the premedical class at
(My Aspiration to Study and Pray in Rangoon; This is the Shwedagon Pagoda.)
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
20.01.2009





















No comments:
Post a Comment