January 11, 2009

I’m Sorry for Ayutthaya!

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


(Ayutthaya Pagoda and Palace in Ruins Today)


I have been to Thailand several times

It’s a close neighbor and friend we rely

So close that together we may live and die

Thais always remain close to me in mind

After all, Shan of Burma are also Tai

I love them simply for their smiles.


(Ayutthaya Today)


I have many Thai friends

I met them first in Shan State

When they worked as factory hands

In Mongton for border barricades

I was the only physician for them

I was posted as conditions dictated then.


(Ayutthaya Sitting Buddha Statues in the Sun)


I treated army, civilian and Thai

My clinic was open for 24 hours time

I talked to Thai through interpreter

He was a Thai born and bred in Burma

We therefore had a good understanding

That made smooth our relations.


(Ayutthaya Crowded and Pompous before Being Destroyed; Painting)


Thai workers stayed aloof from the Burmese

They just worked and worried for their needs

I asked the interpreter for their unease

He said that it was due to historic fix

Present since Ayutthaya was destroyed

I felt sad as it persisted till to our time.


(Ayuttha Map)


I know Ayutthaya was destroyed by King Sinbyushin

He was second son of Alaungpaya, the Konbaung King

Who conquered all Burma starting with his Moksobo region

He was a village headman before he became the great king


(Hand-less and Limb-less Buddha Statue in Ayutthaya)


He tried to conquer Thailand by military means by ferocious fighting

He was not successful due to stubborn Thai resistance and died

So, after a lapse of six years Sinbyushin became king and tried

He used all out military means to win this time

Thus Ayutthaya fell and it was destroyed.


(King General Bayinnaung and His Kanbawzathadi Palace)


I also had Thai friends in England and USA

They were friendly and warm when we parlayed

But, there was some reserve in their ways

In treating us we noticed that and some say

Of course, there was no open animosity and friction

We are always cordial and courteous in our relation.


(Bo Let Ya, Bo Set kya, Bo Aung San of Thirty Comrades, led to

form the Burma Independence Army in Bangkok)


Death and destruction follows any military campaign

Burma has been ransacked many times in the same

By Kublai Khan, British and Japanese Armies

We also felt enmity towards those countries

But, we rebuilt our country and courtesy in time

So we forget and forgive those hideous crimes.


(Bo Kyaw Zaw, the Only Living Member of legendary Thirty Comrades,

Celebrating His 89th Birthday Somewhere in Kunming, Yunnan, China)


I have been to Ayutthaya personally

It was a pleasant trip taken leisurely

I watched the destroyed pagodas sadly

They were not repaired to attest Thai tragedy

Premier U Nu offered to repair them for amity

But Thai Premier did not accept it for history.


(U Nu, the Late Burmese Prime Minster, Offered to Repair

Ayutthaya Ruins to No Avail)


There are destroyed pagodas and palaces

Broken statues lie prominently on terraces

I was really sad to see sorrowful sacrileges

As Buddhist we should repaired Buddha statuettes

And rebuild partly destroyed pagodas and pavilions

We may refurbish or leave destroyed palaces for oblivion.


( U Nu's Temple at Ayutthaya for Thai_Burma Friendship)


But tourism thrives in Ayutthaya for these images

That a northern neighbor had come and ravaged

These broken Buddhas and pagodas serve great

These are the historical artifacts of the destroyed state

It stimulates nationalism and patriotism up to date

Who would like to repair them just for friendship sake?


( Movie Poster of the Legend of Suriyothai that tries to

Blame the Burmese for Thai Tragedies)


That was exactly what my Thai interpreter told me

For them Ayutthaya as it is, is a national entity

It draws so many tourists propelling an industry

That employs and feeds many a Thai family

Without it, Thai will suffer an economic difficulty

It is now a UNESCO site serving national unity.


(Grave Pagoda Marking the Death of Queen Sri Suriyothai)


Thais have been good to us as friends

They always accepted us in their land

General Aung San first formed his BIA in Bangkok

Thirty comrades and many Burmese there went about

They spilled their blood and drank it for unity and loyalty

Burma Army was thus formed with Thai acquiesce in reality.


(Independence Monument, Rangoon, Burma)


Of course, certain Thai circles have ulterior motive for our country

They once tried for Greater Thailand encompassing all Tai territories

They annexed Kengtung and Kareni States during Japanese hegemony

They also supported opium smugglers and KMT against our country'


(Map of Burma Showing Kareni or Kayah State and Kengtung)


Both sides have grievances and grudges if to sour the amity

I do not wish we should follow that hatred and hideous policy.


(Statue of Legendary Fighter Queen Sri Suriyothai)


There are also a few people who like to flame the enmity

I watched Thai “Legend of Sri Suriyothai” movie earnestly

It’s a popular film but ignites Thai hatred to Burmese improperly

Similarly some Burmese write inflammatory articles in our country

This does not serve the purpose of amity and cordial relations

We should forget the bad past and forge for better cooperation.


( Modern Bangkok Guarded by A Soldier Near the Portrait of

Their Revered King )


Actually we should move on from this tragedy

SEA has moved on from the scars of Japanese atrocities

Committed during World War II on SEA countries

America and Japan have moved on from bitter enemies

So were Germany and other European countries

Why can’t we and Thais move forward from hideous history?

I say,” I’m sorry for Ayutthaya, More, do you want us to pay?”

I would willingly rebuild Ayutthaya for the sake of amity today!


(Shwedagon Pagoda at Tazaungdaing Lighting Festival in Rangoon)


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

12.01.2009(original)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I could not believe my eyes bcoz i got a reply from you. I am over the moon.You are a good writer of health education book in Myanmar.You let us know about how do our bodies work .
Now you spread a part of Myanmar history.
Please keep on writting Sa yar Gyi.
May you be happy & healthy.

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dear Kyaw,
Than you very much for your appreciation. My Supervisor Professor Bowden trained me to reply to all correspondence to make the facts straight and keep personal amity. I tried to keep it up. Now I'm sharing whatever I know.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Maung Maung Nyo