January 25, 2009

My Experience at Branch Medical Faculty Mandalay

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


(University of Medicine Mandalay Started as BMF in 1954)


Preamble


I was told by Khin Mya Thwin that I could not join the Medical College in Rangoon after passing my premedical special examination of the Rangoon University as I belonged to Anyar or Upper Burma. I asked her, “Why is that?” She said,” They told me they have opened a Branch Medical Faculty in Mandalay for people of Upper Burma above Pyinmana and Shan State for our convenience. I tried to put up my admission in Rangoon, but they did not accept. So I’m here.”



(The Logo of University of Medicine 1, Rangoon

that began as Rangoon Medical College, my Alma Mata in Medicine.BMF had a Logo Similar to this With Mandalay Fort in the Background.)


“What about the degree? Will it still be MBBS Rangoon”, I asked further.

“Yes, it would be, they said”, she answered.

Thus I was settled in Mandalay for my first years, actually second MB course in Medicine after a stint in Rangoon from 1955 to 1956. We all Anyartha and Anyarthus regrouped again in Mandalay. That included the medical students whose residents happened to be in Shan State, Kachin State, Chin Special Division. In a way, birds of the same feathers flocked together.


Branch Medical Faculty


The Branch Medical Faculty was opened in 1954 within the campus of the Mandalay University College as both were part of the University of Rangoon. Medical students were taught in a wooden shed separate from other college students. They numbered 36.


I was told that dissection of the human cadavers was performed by students under the shady tress as they could not dissect in closed doors without air conditioning due to the strong smell of formalin. Medical students were given lodging in the college hostels, both male and female.


(The Motto of All Medical Universities in Burma In Burmese

that Means "Service, Sympathy and Humanity")


We were fortunate in 1956 when the Branch Medical Faculty had shifted from the Mandalay University College outside of the Mandalay City to the centre of Mandalay near the Mandalay General Hospital (MGH) on Station Road near Mingala Market. It was a square double-storied brick building in which teaching was done in the ground floor and residence for students and library were allocated in the first floor or upper storey. Special Professor-in-Charge Professor Choudhury and other Indian lecturers were also given residential rooms upstairs. Students were not accommodated in single rooms. They were allocated in block halls that each accommodated 15 to 20 students together like army barracks. But we were happy and delighted as it made us friendlier and group minded. I belonged to the Bandoola Block. Other Blocks for Men were named as Spartan for most seniors and Dynamo for seniors. We’re the most junior and consequently most rowdy. We played football according to block.


(Mandalay Railway Station Near University of Medicine Mandalay

and Mandalay General Hospital)


All the blocks were separated only by partitions, but the ladies block was separated from the men blocks by Professor’s room and staircase and laboratories. They were safe except from the ceiling. The space above the ceiling was continuous throughout the square building. No one ever ventured into it except for repair although there was once a rumour that a senior student had climbed into it for a practical joke. He was roundly censured by the lady students and his friends. I think it was just a hoax.


Water and electricity supply was good for 24 hours a day at that time and the Mandalay Municipality reserved special maintenance men and materials for us. We could easily repair the outage of water or electricity by just telephoning them. It was immediately repaired.


(Mingala Market Near BMF, now UMM)


Even then we used to go out to the moat for bathing some times when we felt like walking and taking public bath and swimming in the moat. I used to go to the moat with Win Hlaing and Naing Oo just for evening walk and chat. Air near the moat was cooler and fresher. We also enjoyed eating out at the moat side particularly at the corner of West Side and South Side of the Moat on the 26th B Road. There were a couple of good Indian Restaurants.


Dr S Hla Mong used to take us there whenever he got good news or he received a letter from his girl friend in Rangoon. Win Hlaing used to collect S Hla Mong’s letters and if he found one from that girl from Rangoon he would ask a treat from Sadrul (That was his first name) before delivering the letter to him.


S. Hla Mong was my dissection partner together with Maung Maung San. S Hla Mong did most dissections while I did most readings of the Cunningham’s Manual of Dissection. Maung Maung San used to be socializing most of the time, but he was a good partner. Three of us passed the second MBBS examination in March 1958 at the first try. S Hla Mong and I gained distinction in Anatomy, the only two to gain so out of 47 students in Mandalay. There were 6 students in Rangoon who got such distinction out of about 100 students there.


Teachers and Teaching


Most of the teachers in the BMF at that time were Indians serving as contract workers. But they did not appear foreign to us and we neither felt to them. We were on intimate and respectable terms as teachers and pupils in Burmese Buddhist sense. Professor Choudhury had been in Rangoon before and he was familiar with Burma. He acted as the Dean for our BMF and he also taught physiology as he had a postgraduate degree in physiology. I thought he had MB (Calcutta) and MRCP. Some said he had only an MSc (Physiology) from the University of Calcutta. He was supported by another Dr Choudhury who qualified MB from Calcutta University. He could speak Burmese as he was formerly from Rangoon before WW II. He was a football fan and he watched all the football tournaments played at the Bahtoo Stadium. He shouted in Burmese on the stands and the Burmese spectators near him were amazed by his use of vulgar Burmese.


(Mandalay Moat and Fortress, Symbol of Burmese Culture and Mandalay)


Dr Ghose was a medical graduate from Calcutta and he taught us anatomy very well. His father was a doctor still practicing in Rangoon at that time and we went to see him when we transferred to Rangoon in our final years. He was supplemented by local doctors teaching part time like Dr Seng Gupta who had a big clinic on the 84th Street near Yonedawgyi. He was rich.


Dr Javedi taught us biochemistry. He was not medically qualified, but he had many Indian degrees in chemistry and biochemistry including two PhD. He taught us according to U Sein Gwan’s Biochemistry Notes issued in Rangoon Medical College. U Sein Gwan had only BSc (Hons) degree from the Rangoon University, but he was an excellent teacher. He was fond of British manners and once he scolded us for not saying Sir to him when he called us individually for attendance. We walked out of the class for that and he never did it again.


Dr Roy was an affable teacher in organic chemistry and he also hailed from Calcutta. He dressed meticulously with fashionable shirt, trousers and matching neck tie. He spoke impeccable English and he was very sweet to all of us. He did not send me for distinction in chemistry although I scored 78 % thinking that Distinction mark was 80 % as in the Calcutta University. Rangoon University set it at 75 %.


U Chit Maung and U Mya Maung assisted him in the practical and demonstrations. U Chit Maung later went to Dublin and got a PhD in biochemistry. He retired as the first Biochemistry Professor in Burma. I was responsible for him being promoted to professor before he retired. U Mya Maung followed his path by going to Canada to graduate as MSc in Biochemistry. He married my friend Ma San Yi who also went to Dublin for a PhD in physiology. Both retired as professors in Mandalay.


Clinical Teachers


I remember the late Dr Saw Mra Aung was the MS (Medical Superintendent) of the MGH and he also was the Consultant Physician. He was Glasgow trained and he had an FRFPS that some MRCP said was not equivalent to them to downgrade him. Eventually the Royal College of Physicians in Glasgow later changed its qualification to MRCP and FRCS to separate their physician and surgeons and Dr Saw Mra Aung was assigned as MRCP again like U Chit Sein of the Aung San Institute of Health. In our days physicians and surgeons were fond of comparing one another degrees and qualifications in order to attract more patients or popularity.


(Dr Ba Than MB (Calcutta), FRCS (Edin), FACS (USA), FICS (USA)

Rector, Professor of Surgery and Professor of Anatomy in Mandalay)


Dr PR Mohan was a consultant physician in charge of another medical ward. He taught us pharmacology and clinical medicine. He was at that time a bachelor (single) and just bought a new Hillman saloon car popular at the time. Dr Nyan Chit was in charge of the OPD and lived near Mohan. Dr Nyan Chit was unorthodox in any field and he drove his rundown car, an Austin or Skoda, very fast. Dr Mohna would pull up to the road side if he saw Nyan Chit’s car approaching in his rear mirror to prevent collision or more to prevent scratches as he told us. They were good friends and Nyan Chit was well known to every body, doctors and patients alike.


Dr Myint Myint Khin came to Mandalay in our third year. She was young, smart good looking and seemed proud at that time. She was very domineering too. Students and patients were afraid of her. Her husband U San Baw was an orthopaedic surgeon trained in USA. He wore bow-tie instead of long neck tie and that made him different from other doctors and surgeons in Mandalay. There was some rivalry between the British trained and US trained doctors.


Dr Vasudev was the famous surgeon at the time. He operated 24 hours a day and he had a clinic at his home. He even admitted private patients to his home and he hired a third year medical student for dressing as a way of helping him get the necessary income for studying as the latter was married with a child at that moment. Dr Vasudev taught us well, donated us money more than we asked for and we loved him and admired him for his good academic records. His name was often shown on cinema screen in Win Lite and Myo Gon Yaung cinemas to go to MGH for emergency. Other surgeons complained this as a sort of advertisement and he was transferred to Kyaukphu from where he ran away abroad. We heard that he worked in East Africa for some time and died there. It was the same with Mr Peter Randle FRCS (England). He said other surgeons were FRCS (Edinburgh) from Scotland. He was the only one with FRCS (England, He was a very proud man, but good in teaching. We liked him too. He followed Dr Vasudev to Africa and he also died there.


Dr Kyaw Maung later came to Mandalay to replace Dr Vasudev. We learned that he, Vasudev and Dr Myint Myint Khin belonged to the same batch at Rangoon Medical College and all three passed the difficult second M.B. examination at first stroke each with distinction in anatomy, a difficult feat at the time. Saya U Kyaw Maung also was awarded a Distinction in physiology too. He was not proud looking, very cool and quiet. He talked to us like friends and did not threaten us with difficult jargon and high flown medical term and atmospheres. All the surgeons taught us surgical clinics and operative surgery. We were allowed into operation theatres since the third year at all times.


Sometime they allowed us to perform minor surgery like removal of cysts, drainage of abscesses, setting simple fractures and so on. Ivan Win Pe attempted even appendectomy and vasectomy. I met Professor Kyaw Maung again in Final part II as clinical professor and examiner. He was later Professor of Surgery at IM 2 when I was appointed Professor of Anatomy. We had a good relationship until he died as Director-General of Medical Education in Rangoon.


Dr D Silver was the Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist at the time, but she did not teach us as her subjects came to play only in the Final Part I and Final Part II years. She drove a black Austin by her self and she was liked by our most senior students rather with diffidence as she was White and catholic.


Another remarkable teacher was Dr Ramdev as he was an MRCP, but he taught us pathology. He was a close friend of Pathologist Dr Khin Maung Win as both were MRCP (Pathology) from Edinburgh. There was no Burmese pathologist with qualification higher than DPath. or DCP. at that time. These MRCP (Pathology) people became MRCPath also when their chapter of RCP became a separate RCPath. There were competitions and controversies in Burma between MRCPath and PhD (Pathology) later when the opportunity for a chair in pathology emerged. It was very interesting.


Microbiology was well taken care of by Dr Nyunt Nyunt.She was just back from UK with a postgraduate Diploma in Bacteriology. She was very hard working, sweet and smart. She taught us not only her subject but also manner and morals like a mother. More than 90 % of students passed in her subject. I scored A in her subject and in pharmacology. We had only two subjects to sit for in the third year then. She later went to Manchester University again to have a PhD.


Dr Tin Aung later joined the Microbiology Department and he was so sweet to us. His wife Dr Kyi Kyi May had already joined the Department of Physiology as a demonstrator. Both went to Canada for postgraduate training and came back to Burma with respective Master's degree. They became heads of department in Rangoon and they were deceased now.


Dr Shwe Ban also joined the Department of Pathology as a demonstrator almost the same time. He was friendly to us, but we could not understood his English or Burmese at first as he spoke with very heavy Arakanese accent. He introduced me to Captain Kaung Hla Pru of the Burma Army Medical Corps when I showed interest in the Corps after meeting Captain Maung Thin attending the condensed course for MBBS with us. Maung Thin later moved to Rangoon and became a famous writer and movie star. My friend MaungKaung called me "Maung Chin (Mr Sour)" in rhyming with Maung Thin as I was emulating Maung Thin in writing medical short stories.

We met in Rangoon again before he died of heart disease around 80 years of age.


Social and Political Activities


Students at BMF were immersed fully in study and they could not opt for other activities when I joined them in 1956. I was also immersed in the study of organic and physical chemistry from June 1956 to December 1956 when I passed the 2nd MB Junior examination. I then looked for other possible student activities. There had only been the Social and Reading Club activities that were mainly concerned with daily purchase of fresh food for cooking for the day. This duty was borne by each student by schedule. He or she went to the Tayoketan Market for purchasing meat, vegetables and fresh fruits for that day’s meals. We were fed three meals a day. We subscribed to two newspapers and that’s all the activities.


So, I discussed with some literary minded students to launch a wall newspaper written and published by medical students only. I was appointed the Editor in Chief and Po Lay agreed to be the publisher or copier as his hand writing was stylish and legible. We did it successfully to the amazement of our senior students and teachers. But, his cartoon depicted the likeness of certain girls in the BMF and they blamed me for that. I did not disclose till today that the caricatures were drawn by Dr Po lay. I was imitating General Aung San when he refused to say who rote the article “ Hell Hound at Large” in the O’Way magazine he edited. We now know Nyo Mya did it.


(General Aung San as O'Way Editor in Black Jacket Sitting 2nd from Left;

Nyo Mya or Thein Tin was sitting Next to Him. 3rd from Left)


Next, I proposed to have extempore talks on the occasions of auspicious Burmese days like Thadingyut, Tazaungdaing and Independence and Union Days. We arranged for feeding the Sanghas (Swoon Kart) and students on those occasion. We went to the teachers for donations, but we did not venture to townspeople. There had not been a Buddhist Students Association and I managed to organize one at BMF. It was also a success as we went out to senior townspeople for donations. Dr Tun Shwe, Dr Soni, Ludu Daw Ahmar and all the approached Buddhist people donate us handsomely. We invited them to our Katrina Festival and they were glad to see the fruits of their donations. I was proposed to be the general secretary of the Buddhist Association, but I declined as I have other venues to open.


(Ludu Daw Ahmar, Doyen of Burmese Literature)


I stood for the General Secretary Post of the S & R Club at its annual meeting and I was elected duly. Then I improved allotment for daily money, quality and quantity of fresh food bought and also supervision of cooking by assigning two students, one male and one female, a day for inspecting cooking. The cooks were also given bonuses on big days like Independence Day and Union Day. I also promoted the BMF by writing articles on it in the Kyemon (Mirror) daily in Burmese. I was appointed the Editor in Chief of The BMF Annual Magazine for 1959-1960 Academic Year that I duly carried out to get it published although I transferred to Rangoon in 1959. I was successful in getting articles and stories from the famous writers like Ludu Daw Ahmar, Daw Marlar, Mya Myo Lwin, Tekkatho Phone Naing, Dr Tun Shwe and Chit Nyo. I contributed one Burmese article, one English article and one Burmese poem. The famous artist Maung Ngwe Tun drew the cover design at gratis (free of charge). It had a red snake around a staff, a red rose and a syringe on a white background.


Transfer to Rangoon and the Mandalay University


There was a movement for establishing a separate autonomous multi-faculty university in Mandalay since 1956 or 1957 and it was gaining momentum in the beginning of 1958. In fact the Mandalay University College became a full-fledged multi-faculty university in September or October 1958 without incorporating the BMF yet. It became almost sure that the Mandalay University would be incorporating the BMF as its medical faculty soon. Then, our MBBS degree would be MBBS (Mandalay) unrecognized by the British General Medical Council. It would then be difficult or impossible for us to study abroad particularly in UK. I explained this to the Mandalay University College Principal Saya U Ko Lay as he had become the vice chancellor of the new university when he visited the BMF and met with us students.


(Clock Tower at Zegyo, A Symbol of Mandalay)


He simply said that he was not concerned with the recognition or loss of it for MBBS (Mandalay) degree and he would go ahead with the schedule for incorporating the BMF to his new university, but, he would not deter or prohibit any medical student going to Rangoon for fear of the loss of GMC recognition in Mandalay. So, I decided to move to Mandalay Medical College and many students followed suit. In fact, only John Noi remained as the only final year part II student with a few in other classes when all of us moved to Rangoon in June and July 1959. The BMF then became the Faculty of Medicine, University of Mandalay until 1964 when it was called the Medical College Mandalay and then as Institute of Medicine Mandalay. Now it is known as the University of Medicine Mandalay.


John Noi made history by challenging the examiner in medicine Professor Colonel Shwe Zan that his case was a case of multiple sclerosis that may be Professor’s first case when the latter said he had never met a case of multiple sclerosis in Burma. It was a case of peripheral neuritis so common in Burma and John Noi was duly failed. He passed the next time and he was posted to Kengtung after his internship. He retired there.


Some Medical Graduates Trained at Branch Medical Faculty Mandalay


  1. Dr Myint Lwin MRCP, Director-General of Medical Research (Retired)
  2. Dr Nyunt Lwin (Leonard Muhammad) MD (USA) (Florida)
  3. Dr Aung Khin Sint MSc(Community Medicine) NLD (Retired)
  4. Dr Set Htwar MD (USA) (Missouri, Deceased)
  5. Dr Lay Maung MSc (Public Health)
  6. Dr Prakash Singh Talwar MD.(USA) (Chicago)
  7. Dr Krisna Brajwaja MD (USA) (Pennsylvania)
  8. Dr S. Kumar MRCP (India)
  9. Dr Sao Yan Naing MD (Paediatrics) (Now in Canada)
  10. Dr Aung Than MMedSc (Orthopaedics)
  11. Dr Yash Pal MMedSc (Anaes.)
  12. Dr B.S. Ko Lay PhD (Anatomy) (Melbourne)
  13. Dr Tan Myint Maung MMedSc( Medicine) (Rangoon)
  14. Dr Khin Mya Thwin MCHSH (Rangoon)
  15. Dr S. Hla Mong FRCS (Edin) (Deceased)
  16. Dr Than Aung FRCS (Edin)
  17. Dr Sheila San San Myint (FFARCS( England)
  18. Dr Muriel Yi Yi Myint MD (Psychiatrist) (USA) (Florida)
  19. Dr Than Yin DPM (Psychiatrist) (Rangoon)
  20. Dr Maung Maung Nyo PhD (London), MA(Michigan State), FOMERAD

Conclusion


I took pride in belonging to Mandalay whenever some body asked me whether I belong to Mandalay. But I always said that I was just partly trained in the BMF in Mandalay as the University of Rangoon student due to location of my birth and resident then, but I never was a graduate of the Mandalay University or of the Institute of Medicine Mandalay (IMM). I, of course, took pride in examining IMM students in both undergraduate and postgraduate examinations.


The Mandalay Institute of Medicine, now University of Medicine Mandalay, has come a long way from the stage of BMF. It now has full fledged departments of teaching subjects spanning from anatomy to surgery in the medical curriculum with respective postgraduate courses that I had taken part and that I contributed much. Many professors of Anatomy and lecturers there were trained by me in Rangoon either at IM 2 or IM 1 since 1974. (Professor Aung Thu, Professor Nilar Shwe, Professor Aung Kyi, Professor Saw Eik Yaung, A/P Khin Thant Zin, A/P Khin Lay Yi etc). I’m glad that University of Medicine Mandalay is thriving.


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

25.01.2009

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sa Yar Gyi,
I think you need to add some unpopular doctors such as Dr Khin Maung Htoo, Dr Daw Hla Min...
in your list.

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dear Kyaw,
I am drawing a fine line here.Those who graduated MBBS (Mandalay) are not considered.Only those who graduated MBBS (Rangoon) that have lived through BMF are mentioned because BMF was part of the Rangoon Medical College.Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Maung Maung Nyo

Htoo Nyo said...

Dear sir,

I have to write a topic about UMM in a Magazine.
So, can I use some facts from your article as a reference?

With respects,
Htoo Nyo
UMM (2007 graduated)

Email: htoomyintswe@gmail.com

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dear Dr Htoo Nyo,
Thanks for visiting my blog.Yes, use the facts in my blogs for your writing by all means.I'm writing to give information to the newer generations.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Maung Maung Nyo
MBBS (Rgn) March 1961