The Chef’s Special
Dr Mung Maung Nyo
“Today we like to eat a new dish”
Our children are saying their wish
“OK, we’ll try our best,” we promised
So, mother Nan Ommar and I duly did.
(Pickled Mustard Leaves, Pork Ribs and Spices Mixed in a Bowl)
We went to a supermarket
We looked for a pork rib set
It was frozen and well kept
We bought two small packets.
I cut the ribs into 3 or 4 a piece
Treat them in a tin tray to thaw
While I cut ginger and onion neat
I sliced garlic into thin foils to fall.
(Old Beef Curry Cooked in Burmese Style)
Pickled sour like an old bag of it kept in freeze
I took leaves out and cut them into small sheaves
I left the stalks and stems to be used later apiece.
(Pork Rib, Mustard Leaves Cooked with Spices)
I sauté d ginger, onion and garlic just brown
Then I added rib pieces one by one in rounds
I fried or rather flied them one by one up and down
I smelled the smell of pork mixed with spices ground.
(Old Potato Curry Cooked in Burmese Style)
I then sprinkled saffron powder and salt to taste
Adding tomato without seed and soy sauce in haste
A cup of water mixed all contents with curry paste
I poured some more to cover it and left it in blaze.
(Pork Rib, Pickled Mustard Leaves and Spices Ready for Eating)
When pork smell was strong and broth was brewing
I took out a rib piece and punctured it with fork teeth
If it entered the meat easily to signal ready for eating
I added a cup of water and cut pieces of mustard leaves
Coupling with some more ginger and pepper seedlings
Coriander leaves made it fresh and fragrant indeed.
(Old Burmese Pea Soup, Kalapea Hin or Dish)
It was now ready for eating
She has been busy cooking rice and beans
She also warmed frozen food in oven clean
Roasted and brewed beef with egg plant cuisine
The table was set and all were ready for eating.
(Yupar Nyo Posing With Sculpture in a Sydney Museum)
No need to say they ate like ravens
They did not show their faces often
They looked into their plates and dishes
Sounds of eating and splashing spoons mixed
“Mustard pork dish is spicy sour sweet and best”
They have said it and I was blessed as a chef!
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
28.03.2009 (original)


No comments:
Post a Comment