To My Mentor Professor Ruth Bowden
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
I still mourn for the death of my mentor
Professor Ruth Bowden, my supervisor
She sustained fatal injuries from collision with car
On 19 December 2001 and she died at age 86 years.
(Professor Ruth Bowden,Left and MMN, Right in 1968)
She was not only my supervisor, but also a mother
She looked after me closely when I was in
She continued to support me when I was in
She advised me on medical education from
(Lake Khone Where Preclinical Sciences Are Taught from 1964 to Date)
I met her first in
When she was visiting
On her way back from
She advised on opening the first medical school there.
(Dr Ba Than, Dean, Surgeon, Burmese Xylophone Player)
In
Dean of Medical College 1 (one)
Doyen of Burmese doctors and maestro
He entertained her with Pattala or Burmese Piano.
(Major Ko Ko Gyi, Dean of Medical College 2 from 1964 to 1966)
She also met Major Ko Ko Gyi
Dean of
He introduced me to her as one of the few
I would be sent to
If she would accept me as her PG student
She willingly accepted that proposal as excellent.
(Branch Medical Faculty, BMF, Mandalay from 1954-1958. then Faculty of
Medicine, University of Mandalay 1958-1964, Mandalay Medical College 1964
to 1968, then Institute of Medicine or University of Medicine, Mandalay to date )
It was in October 1965 winter
The weather was cool and cleaner
We entertained her in
She was happy and impressed with our endeavors.
(Mandalay Hill, Moat and Mandalay Fort)
So she took me as her mentee
On arrival at the Royal Free
A lady’s college turned co-educational
It was the first women’s medical school international.
The Dean was Physician Ms Francis Gardner
Dame Sheila Sherlock was medicine professor
Professor Ruth Bowden was anatomy chair
Most staff and students were friendly and fair.
So, I studied among the like of mothers and sisters
They were so courteous and kind to me and each other
Whatever I asked or did in my experimental designs
I could do my research completely satisfying to my mind.
Professor Bowden guided me in study
To be righteous and effective smartly
She took me to seminars, symposium and talks
She wished me to be fluent in speech and records.
She looked after my living
She enquired about my routine
She found better one to live about
I was admitted in nearby London House.
(London House, Mecklenburg Square WC1, Where I Stayed from
1966 to 1969)
She would call Mrs Betty Paddon
My English friend in Croydon London
Enquiring about my eating and welfare
She encouraged her to feed me further.
She encouraged me to roam about
When I had done enough to prevent doldrums
She said
Visitors and scholars must see the real
She introduced me to many renowned anatomists
That I had just heard or seen in books and transcripts
So that we could work together for mutual benefits
It’s her foresight that made me known among scientists.
(Dr Maung Maung Nyo with Ph.D. London Gown)
She supervised me successfully for my Ph.D.
She also guided me how to procure the necessities
She taught me how to teach and tutor students
She did that without funfair or any arrogance.
(University of Rangoon, mother of All Universities in Burma
Since 1920, Logo)
She was kind not only to me
But equally well to other mentees
She had a hot of foreigners studying with her
She did not like saying we studied under her ever.
(A Ph.D. Professor Trained Other Burmese Scientists as M.Sc. and Ph.D.)
She had trained scores of people for higher degrees
They worked for their Ph.D’s or M.D.’s
Many of them became professors in their own fields
She commented I was the best or one of the best among these!
(Am I boasting or blowing my own trumpet? No, it’s the truth she said in 1975.)
(Oxford University Botanic Garden)
She herself was a bright student really
She graduated MBBS from Royal Free in 1939-40
Interned from 1940 to 1942 in medicine and bone surgery
She was then a researcher on peripheral nerve injury
The
(The Bodleian Library, Oxford University, England)
She then worked as an orthopaedic surgeon
Managing wounds and woes of WW II in
She then taught anatomy at Royal Free from 1945
She had found her professional choice right.
(Punting in the River Thames at Oxford University)
She became a professor in 1950
She was just only 36 years old you see
She was awarded D.Sc. after seven years
It’s the highest degree
(Tower Bridge, London, England)
She worked relentlessly from then onwards
She was active in teaching and research
She took WHO fellowship and grants to further her adventures
She traveled to
She was active in many societies
In anatomy, surgery and physiotherapy
She was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
So was she in Hospice and Royal College of Surgeons.
(Royal College of Surgeons of England, Lincoln's Inns Fields, WC 1)
She was elected twice as President of the Anatomical Society
Life Vice-President of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists
Also of Linnean Society and President of
How did she do it? People wonder for her indomitable spirit and energy!
She was unmarried through out her life
She worked for Indian and London Hospice
She visited
She was born in
(Professor Ruth Bowden in the Middle With Her Indian Colleagues
in India After Her Retirement)
Dame Professor Ruth Bowden is no more
We can no longer see her pleasant personality
We cannot hear her clear voice exhorting our core
But, her works and contributions remain all to see
I was fortunate to be mentored as her mentee completely
She was not only my teacher but also a mother to me!
(Professor Bowden,Right and MMN, Left in 1968)
Professor Bowden is honoured posthumously by many
Her neurological works are shown in Oxford University
International Medical Women Federation granted a fellowship
Others write about her in the professional journals
Professor Bowden is more well known international!
Dr Maung Maung Nyo, 09.03.2009 (original):In Memory of
My
D.Sc., M.B.,B.S., F.R.C.S., F.R.S.M., LRCP M.R.C.S., DCL3 GCML3













4 comments:
I thank Prof Bowden and all profs for my anatomy education in IM1 Yangon.
Dear May,
Thank you very much for your appreciation. All medical teachers are great.They propagate medical education and livelihood knowing that some of their students may be just learning to earn a living for themselves, but the majority would be real healers for the people- healing the mind, body, environment and society.
Yours sincerely,
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
Sayagyi,
Quote:"... would be real healers for the people- healing the mind, body, environment and society."
I like that! I certainly wish that more people would subscribe to this ideal. It's true holistic healing for a better future generation. :)
Alvin
Dear Alvin,
Thank you very much for your appreciation. Yes, doctors should practise holistic medicine. There are some doctors who practise medicine only for money as they regard medicine as a trade. It's wrong.
Yours sincerely,
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
Post a Comment