March 24, 2009

Medical Education in Burma

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


When I look back to my past

I have been in medical world fast

From 1956 to 1998 for 42 years as such

First when I started at 2nd MBBS class

At Mandalay Branch Medical Faculty

Opened as part of the Rangoon University

With all Anyathian and Shan in a calamity

We were herded together in a new make-shift facility.


(University of Medicine Mandalay in Mandalay City, Burma)


We studied in a make-shift building

Built for a high school in two-storey fashion

Two E shaped buildings joined to form an eight

A dormitory dungeon depressing and desolate

We were boarded in the upstairs as hostelers

Male students in three quarters, the lion share

Ladies and teachers occupied the last quarter.


(Dr Ba Than M.B. (Calcutta), FRCS (Edin), Professor

Dean and Rector)


Learning laboriously at lectures and laboratories

In hot dry atmosphere of the melting point faculty

I marvel at the stamina and success of the students

Also I gave tribute to teachers, lab staff and assistants

Who would teach with meager pay to be so efficient?

If not for the sake of love of knowledge and country

I always admire my old teachers at the Branch Medical Faculty!


(Branch Medical Faculty, BMF, in Mandalay from 1955 to 1980s)


From that ragtag students and teachers

We have evolved into a grand picture

The Branch Medical Faculty becomes a university

After passing through the stages of full medical faculty

Of the newly emerged magnificent Mandalay University

And then Institute of Medicine as an autonomous entity

Congratulations to all those concerned for giving its glory

Many old students become professors and ministers in history.


(University of Medicine 1 in Lanmadaw Township, Rangoon)


I for one had moved to Rangoon Medical College

To strive for further education in UK in a later date

I was successful so to say as I can now celebrate

As a qualified doctor, army major and professor to date

I have worked diligently with devotion for Burma’s sake

I treat, I teach, I write and I strive for Burmese citizens’ fate

I have been in the centre of Burma’s medical education

I can now contemplate and communicate with erudition.


(The Old Convocation Hall of the Old University of Rangoon)


Burma’s medical education started only in 1923-24

After the First University Strike had its role and echo

To the effect that rich and poor could enlist in the university

Even then only a few Burmese could join the medical faculty

It’s recorded only 11 out of 40 medical students were Burmese

The rest were British, Anglos of mixed races, Indians and Chinese

This first batch graduated in 1929 all in time

Many of them became heads and directors in grand design


(Rangoon General Hospital or RGH)


The medical curriculum at first was copied from Edinburgh

As most of the teachers were trained there working in Burma

They also belonged to the British Army at one time

So they taught effectively and efficiently in British style

Rangoon Medical College grew in fame in early 1930s

This made its degree MBBS recognized in 1937 by the GMC

Professor U E qualifying in 1936 had to sit for LRCP MRCS

Dr U Ko Gyi, DOMS, qualifying in 1937, escaped that stress.


(Professor U E Graduated M.B.,B.S. from Rangoon in 1937)


From that year on many Rangoon medical graduates went to UK

To work there and to get a fellowship or membership and stayed

Only a few came back to Burma practicing private medicine

Never bothering to join the medical college or teaching profession

We had a shortage of qualified teachers and practitioners all along

Burma Government had to institute four-year licensed course aplomb

These LMP contributed to Burma’s medicine and health of the country

Only after independence was the LMP medical school abolished completely.


(Royal College of Physicians in London, England)


All the British trained medical officers left Burma after Independence

We have only a few senior medical persons who were in attendance

Colonel Min Sein, Dr Yin May and Dr Ba Than were Calcutta graduates

But they were patriots and did full-time teaching at the medical college

Thus a steady stream of medical education was maintained up to date

The three Greats led the medical world of Burma for several decades

We should be grateful to them for their good services for Burma’s sake

Considering the odds and upheavals I would say Burma was fortunate.


(Royal College of Surgeons of England, in London)


A gradual input of trained medical teachers was started after the war

New medical graduates were sent abroad as M.Sc. and Ph.D. scholars

Apart from MRCP, FRCS, MRCOG and other medical specialties in tow

Anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and pharmacology began to slowly grow

Medical education seminars were held to review curriculum since 1970 year

I was fortunate I could take part actively in them since the third seminar

I have learned a lot and I have contributed a lot for medical doctor’s progress

I stipulate that Burma’s medicine will march forward with success

Despite setbacks and sad scenarios surrounding it at the present time

After all, mistakes and mayhem make a person or organization sublime.


(University of Medicine 2, Rangoon at North Okkalappa)


Like it or not we now have 4 civilian medical schools or universities

Plus an army medical college opened since the late 1990s

It’s a vast improvement compared to time before independence

When one medical college admitting less than 100 with hindrance

Burma admitted 500 medical students after 1964 yearly

It’s now admitting 2000 medical students in the country

Its yearly intake has increased four or five folds in quantity

Every medical educationist knows it affects the quality of its products.


(Logo of University of Medicine 1 Extolling Service, Sympathy and Humanity)


I have participated in more than half of the 6 medical education seminars

Not counting curriculum reviews. several workshops and multipliers

I have introduced the principles of education science in curriculum planning

To consider cost effectiveness and practicality before implementation

Goals, aims, specific objectives be thoroughly discussed before adopting

Not neglecting the training of teachers that will carry out the teaching

To consider medical education sincerely to benefit practitioners and population

The authorities must be sincere and wise in carrying out the new instructions.


(A Magazine Cover Showing Old IM2 and Its Logo)


At the 5th Medical Education Seminar a few zealots promoted PBL

They were doing it as a kind of stunt fashion and carnival

They did not consider about money facilities and training of the personnel

I faulted their PBL based medical curriculum although I agreed in principle

It could not be implemented as there was no money or modern facility

Professor Khin Kyi Kyi told me their curriculum failed because of my enmity

It was nothing personal and I bear no grudge to any body despite their hostility

For me my loyalty goes to my country and people first whatever the categories.


(Dr Nan Ommar in M.B., B.S. (Rangoon) Gown with Dr MMN)


It was the same with opening the courses for Ph.D.

I told them the aim was noble and good entirely

But facilities at the moment are not there for doing Ph.D.

We should still be sending Burmese students abroad for that degree

After training them with what we have for M.Sc.

Ministers for health agreed with me though they did not listen to me!


(Prof. Maung Maung Nyo in Ph.D. (London) Gown and

Dr Nan Ommar in M.Sc. (Rangoon) Gown)


Burmese medical degree is now partially recognized by the GMC

Our medical graduates may go to UK and try for PLAB as necessity

We had tried hard to get the full recognition in 1978

But GMC gave partial recognition only starting from that year graduates

It was because GMC had its own agenda regarding foreign trained doctors

As is the case with the American medical educators and administrators

It was also the same with our Health Ministers appointed by the Junta

They have their own thought, own plan and own agenda for Burma.


(Rangoon University Boat Club)


As a matter of fact, I was the secretary of IM 2 Committee to show GMC

How the Institute had fared in uplifting the medical education for all to see

GMC delegates would be pleased to recommend our graduates

Fit to work in the UK and deserved full registration in all dates

We showed them modern facilities in teaching and research

Our trained teachers teaching students up to date matters as much

They also do public health work and survey including field trips

The GMC was really impressed with our Institute and recommended it.


(The Inya Lake, The Symbol of that Famous Old University of Rangoon)


Once Minister for Health U Saw Tun told us his vision of medical graduates

He would train them just qualified to treat the Burmese in local grade

Not good enough to pass foreign qualification examination for their sake

They would see to it that future Burmese doctors do not emigrate

They would send complicated cases and VIPs to foreign hospital and spas

Burma’s medical education should serve Burma only as it is required

They should not aim for higher degrees and sophisticated endeavors

What more you can say about our medical graduates at this juncture?


I for one am satisfied that I have always done for my country and people

I have never hesitated to tell the truth and to do the right thing as my due.


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

25.03.2009 (original)

4 comments:

Alvin S. C. Lee said...

I do hope that medical graduates get the chance in future to upgrade skills and knowledge. Continual exchange of technological advances and literature is good for any society.

Even something as basic as chromatids do recombination crossings for exchange of genetic information... to ensure better evolutionary survival of the organism it is supporting. Nature is a wonderful teacher.

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dear Alvin,
Thank you.I totally agree with you.

Yours sincerely,

D Maung Maung Nyo

Aung Thant Syn said...

Dear Saya,

It is a deeply moving account for me as proudly I was one of your many pupils of IM II.

I fondly miss our beloved IM II and teachers.

We were so fortunate and privileged to learn from such a great medical institution full of the greatest medical teachers and role models of the medical horizon of the period.

I am so proud of it and eteranlly grateful to you and all our beloved teachers.
I have been in medical practice of Western world long enough to take pride in quality of our medical foundation made in Burma , thanks to you.

When I prepared and took many postgraduate examiniations and courses, I am most grateful to you as our teachers in Burma had taught and trained us to such a high level with solid and excellent foundation of knowledge. I deeply appreciate your immense vision and CETANA for us.

How fortunate we were .

After serving app 17 years in UK, I have now settled in Australia.
Kindly let me know when you visit the Down under in futute.
Please visit our family in Wodonga, Vic.

thant syn ( 2nd MBBS 1979 May)
MBBS( 1984), MPH, MRCP Ire.(Paeds)
MRCGP(UK), FRACGP
thantsyn@doctors.org.uk

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dear Dr Thant Syn,
Thank you very much for your appreciation. Medical education is my world, profession and environment.
I have been fortunate to be able to live in it it, nurture it and enjoy it grows.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Maung Maung Nyo