My Recipes of Burmese Food in England
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
I have lived in
I did enjoy my stay there and still miss her
I was fortunate to have met my supervisor
She was so kind and motherly to us foreigners;
(MMN with Ph.D. London Gown)
I liked mixing up with the English people
They are courteous and kind if known through
Proper introduction and knew who are you
I did enjoy English theatre and pubs as clues.
(London House Mecklenburgh Square, WC 1, London, England
Where MMN stayed for Three Years With Pantry for Cooking)
I like fish and chips
I ate steak with relish
But I skip mesh potato
I could not eat rarebits solo.
So I cooked some Burmese food occasionally
My palates were used to eating them habitually
My mother cooked typical
My father joined her when he was free and happy.
(Burmese Beef Curry With Spices Cooked by MMN)
What did I cook then?
I once cooked chicken
I put chili onion and oil in frying pan
Then garlic ginger tomato fried
Frozen chicken were added to blend
It became a chicken curry at hand.
(Kalapea Hincho or Burmese Pae Soup Cooked By MMN)
I sometimes cooked beef
I bought pure and diced meat
I followed the pattern of chicken cooking
It was tough and smelly not good for eating.
(Rice Cooked in The Rice Cooker by MMN)
So, I changed the recipe next time
I bought steak beef to soften when boiled
I marinated the beef with acetic acid
Mixed with saffron and soy sauce in the Frig
I cooked it in pressure cooker with Indian spices
I ate with relish with friends who said it was nice!
(A Burmese Meal Ready to be Served By MMN)
I thought frying eggs and making omelets was easy
Once I fried in the pan they became burnt and greasy
Making two sides of omelet yellow needs experience
I learned it only after trying several eggs with patience;
Then I would fry eggs easily for my breakfast or dinner
I would invite friends to join me for any meal in winter
I could feed them with rice and Burmese dishes in no time
They would eat, drink, talk and dine in Burmese style.
(Regular Customers of Burmese Meals Cooked by MMN;
L to R: MMN, YPN, NOM, ESN)
I also tried with goose and duck
I would wash and cut them into parts
Covered with soy sauce, onion, spices and water
I would put in the pressure cooker for half an hour
I found the meat well cooked, fragrant and tender
A salad of cut chili, onion and tomato in lime blender
Made the dinner tastier than the food of the vendors
I did try for friends even after I came back with splendor.
I had the fancy of the game meat
I once bought pheasants and rabbits
The butcher said it would make a great feast
But I cooked it in oil like chicken and found incomplete.
The next time I fried the ginger, onion and garlic
I mixed it with soy sauce, dried chili, salt and tumeric
On getting the smell of spices I put the pheasants neat
About ten minutes of sautéing and stirring made it sweet.
(Parents of MMN who Taught Him How to Cook)
The rabbit could be cooked like frogs
You cut it at joints to make it flop
I then put it in fried spices and tomatoes
Adding a little water to boil it made mellow
A sprinkle of saffron or tumeric made it yellow
It was then sweet and tender just right to swallow.
Cooking pork was easy for me
I was brought up in pork loving family
We have a saying in Burmese for good food
“Pork is the best among meats” to look
“As tea is top among leaves and among fruits
Mango is the best to eat with relish” proved.
I cook pork in several ways
Easiest was to cook mother’s way
You put pork and soy sauce in the pot
Fry it until oil came out oozing from the pork
Then add cut tomato onion ginger and water
We could eat it after a quarter to half of an hour.
I’m an expert in frying sausage
As Monywa is well known for that food made
My father showed me how to fry without oil
Yes, you put water in the pan and boil
Then add the cut sausages until water dries
You move the sausage side to side all the time
Oil will ooze out of the pig intestine (Actually lamb’s intestine)
When all dry and no trace of water but just oil
It’s ready to eat the sausage with lime or in style!
Cooking vegetables is much easier
I could cook them any where even here
Just buy egg plants lady fingers or cauliflowers
Cut them into pieces to make them smaller
Fry spices and tomatoes in the pot or deep pan
Then add the chosen vegetables and stir them
Add some water to make it juicy and soften
Cover with a lid for five to ten minutes to be eaten.
My specialty was cooking chicken “Kalatha-Chet”
That is chicken with gourd cooked with watershed
I fried a little oil with onion, ginger and garlic
I mix it with tumeric chili and soy sauce fluid
When brown I add water to cover the chicks
Boil it for ten minutes and add the gourd in bits
Add some dry lemon laves or lemon grass to peak
It would give you a delicious soup spicy and sweet.
I was famous for cooking Burmese “Kalapea Hin”
It’s Dhal or gram peas cooked in water to brim
You may add chicken, beef bones or vertebra to whims
I just boil it in water to soften it and skim the froth clean
Then I add plenty of onion with some garlic and ginger
I add salt and water later without adding any spices to simmer
When peas are soft and smashed easily I add fried garlic and chili
It gives you a yellowish yummy scintillating soup for your luxury.
I did not cook rice in Burmese way
As it made me foolish and frayed
I just put the rice in the rice cooker
It provided me with a nice soother;
That’s white long grain cooked rice
Steaming and seducing you to bite
It with already cooked dishes at hand
That’s how I enjoyed Burmese food in
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
16.03.2009 (original)






No comments:
Post a Comment