My Mentor: Mighty Manly and Magnificent
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
I was fortunate to have met him
While I was young and yearning
For further study in medicine
He offered me to go learning
Basic science of human anatomy
I must strive to get that coveted Ph.D.
(Institute of Medicine 2 Campus, Mingaladon, Rangoon)
Thus I was transferred from the army
To Institute of Medicine 2 to study
Anatomy, histology, embryology and all the necessities
The basis of postgraduate work in any branch of anatomy
As well as research methodology and use of the library
Professor H. Zaw Tun also taught me methods in laboratory.
(Institute of Medicine 2 Premedical Building, Mngaladon)
He treated me neither as a junior officer
Nor as his inferior learner but as a brother
Though he was a major, dean and then a rector
A qualified physician psychiatrist commander
I was just a captain, an ordinary medical officer
I was also 12 years younger and a bumbling bachelor.
(Institute of Medicine 2 Mingaladon, Anatomy Department, 1970)
He tried to let me stay in the officer mess
Where he and senior officers slept and rested
He arranged for my meals and messing
He provided books batman bed and bathing
He looked after my health and human side too
Thus I was in the care of most competent Guru!
(First Graduating Class of Institute of Medicine2, Rangoon With Rectors:
Sitting 5th from Left Colonel Ko Ko Gyi, 5th from Right Professor U E)
I studied without any hindrance
My time has been well spent
He made contact with WHO and
I had a most comfortable period of further study
In central
No wonder in due course I got the Ph.D.
(First State Scholar of IM2 and of the Burma Army to
Get a Ph.D. from London: Dr Maung Maung Nyo)
He was transferred back to the army as essential
To command a health regiment and a base hospital
He served sincerely to shine in both categories
People praised his proficiency and personality
I for one missed him to be still in the academy
I tried to succeed personally to fulfill his prophecy
I would be an outstanding academician in the country.
(Logo of Institute of Medicine 2, Rangoon)
I did not fail him in my work
I succeeded in improving it much
With modern methods of teaching
Spreading the science of medical education
Besides taking part in postgraduate teaching
My B.Sc. and M.Sc. courses are succeeding.
(University of Medicine 2 Metamorphosed from IM 2 , Now Situated in
North Okkalappa Township, Yangon)
I have also done a lot of research projects
Their results have been duly read
He used to ask how I trained the rest
I told him I have finished many projects
Made the PG and special students read at conferences
He was pleased that I have been following his guidance.
(Unversity of Medicine 2 Rangoon New Campus at North Okkalappa)
After his service in the Burma Army
He served as the General Secretary
Of the almost defunct Burma Red Cross Society
Reactivating and revitalizing it after the 1988 Calamity
He was the head heart and limbs of the Society
It got international recognition and felicity.
More than forty years have passed since we met
He had been retired and rested at home in fact
With his pretty and polite wife plying on his side
He deserves that and is indeed enjoying his long life;
(Former Rectors of Institute of Medicine 2, Mingaladon: L to R:)
Dr Ko Ko Gyi, Prof. U E, Dr Khin Maung Nyein, Prof. Tin Aung Swe)
I always remember him smiling and sweet in my sight
He is retired colonel Dr Ko Ko Gyi a beacon of light
He is my mentor, friend and philosopher in my life
May he live long for a hundred years in good plight!
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
27.03.2009 (original)








No comments:
Post a Comment