Some More Memories of the BBS Activities
I still remember some more activities of the Britain Burma Society
It was an exhibition and extravaganza held in
It was a high school for the English students of
It exhibited photos, handicrafts and articles of the remote
There were speeches given by its principal and Chairman of Britain Burma Society
HE Burmese Ambassador U Hla Maung also spoke commending the ceremony.
(Sir Hubert Rance,The Last Governor and Chairman of Britain Burma
Society, and HE Ambassador U Hla Maung of Burma)
(Marlow Academy or "High School")
I remember Noel Singer, an Anglo-Burman, dancing deftly daringly
He was wearing the Burmese Mintha dress and danced accordingly
He danced like Pho Sein Gyi with sheer eloquence and dexterity
The English audience applauded him hailing his grace and agility,
He later changed into the dress of a master wizard, a Zaw Gyi
He was more agile and he ably danced like a real magic personality.
(Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury)
Noel Singer left
KhinMaung-PhoneKo and I went to his place as he wished to go together
He was wearing a black Yaw Longyi, Type-pon and
Besides carrying an Inlay red shoulder bag and smoking a Burmese cigar
(Marlow,Buckingham Shire, England)
We were ashamed wearing bulky British business suits to look British ever
He spoke sentimentally of his days in
Painting singing and dancing every thing Burmese that was so spectacular
Except for his skin and features he was more Burmese than us state scholars!
(Burmese Mintha Dance, Princely Dance)
One of the two Burmese nurses danced daintily without company
It’s called Tabindaing Minthami Aka that is solo dance of the royalty
They were wearing the bright silk Htami and Htaing Mathein Eingyi
All yellow and golden that matched with golden Cee-pon or Lady Topi
(Sao Ohn Nyunt Dressed as a Princess, Minthami)
The music was also Burmese played by the Burmese State Scholars company
I remember Myo Nyunt playing the Burmese harp with poise and dexterity
Aung Myint played the Burmese flute and Cee or small clappers cautiously
Both were studying mathematics at the
(A Burmese Solo Minthami Dancer)
I contributed to that exhibition by translating the Burmese captions to English
Betty Paddon invited Pe Myint Aung and me to her home a week ahead of it
She took out a collection of photos that showed the daily life of citizens of
From daily workers, women, weavers, soldiers, students, scholars to the Sangha
(Anyeint Dance, a Minthami and two Jokers)
Pe Myint Aung was out of
He forgot correct English words for Burmese word printed under the photo
I had a better memory of Burmese and English as I was used to them as a writer
Betty praised my command of Burmese as phenomenal among the state scholars.
(Christopher Marlowe 1564-1593)
We mixed with the attending British people and students in Marlow
The name has been familiar to me as I learned Christopher Marlowe
His life and literature had been familiar to me since high school long ago
I remember Christopher Marlowe as a poet, playwright and more
He was an atheist and free thinker well ahead of his contemporaries
He wrote Tamburlaine the Great, Dr Faustus, Jew of Malta and poetry
I remember vividly the poem,” The Passionate Shepherd to His Love”
He was contemporary and almost equal to Shakespeare the great Bard.
(William Shakespeare, the Great English Bard)
I met and made great friends at the Marlow show or exhibition
It was the first time I had exposure with the British population
They seemed reserved at first but friendly and warm later
They are of course different from us Burmese or Easterners;
Even Psychologist Khin Maung Than spoke of differences amongst
British and American peoples although cousins speak similar tongues
One is cold courteous and kind the other outgoing extrovert and warm
For us we must befriend with both of them and for our own good learn.
(Cover of IM 2 Old Students Teachers Homage Number 2008)
I remember a talk given by Professor Woodruff of Londond's Tropical Medicine
He had just written an article in the BMJ about the Burmese Medical education
After his visits to hospitals and medical institutes at our Government’s invitation
He praised the works and standards particularly of the No. 2 Institute of Medicine,
At Mingaladon where he lived and married his wife before WW II in its church
Still extant in compound of
The Burmese Government was happy, the Burmese doctors in
He was literally surrounded by Burmese doctors attending his talk at ROS house
He shook hand with each of us and praised
I still remember him as a great friend of
I also remember a welcome party given to the new military attaché
He was Colonel Ye Htun trained before in the
He was a tested soldier known for his friendliness and joviality
Governor Sir Hubert Rance spoke the words of welcome warmly;
He rightly replied with words of warm thanks and offers of cordiality
One of his daughters danced solo or Anyeint dressed daintily and deftly
The audience applauded her admiringly as she was a teenage amateur
Lady Rance spoke to us praising her dance and good English of her father.
(Dorothy Woodman, former Honorary Secretary of BBS and
a Friend of Burma, the Author of the Making of Burma)
I also remember Dorothy Woodman talking about her visit to
She was given a red carpet treatment by the BSPP leaders and workers
Its Chairman General Ne Win giving her an audience and a feast
She was given freedom to go anywhere and ask any one to beseech
The truth about the BSPP principles and efforts to establish a socialist state
Dorothy was bought benignly and she wrote glowingly of U Ne Win’s fake
(General Ne Win after Retirement)
Her article in the New Statesman was for Burma Socialists to talk about
To out-wink outlawed Communists and browbeat the leftists for their doubts
They now had a genuine British leftist socialist with a real clout for defence
We did have doubts but we better did not ask for fear of consequences
Dorothy and Kingsley Martin supported
I’m sure Dorothy would regret her praise of Burmese Socialists as
(Percy and Betty Paddon Together With HE U Maung Maung Gyi)
Still Britain Burma Society gave us opportunity to enjoy in
Professor Woodruff, Dorothy Woodman etc. gave us joy and wisdom
I know they were sincere and honest in evaluating our systems
It’s just that
I hope that we would be able to solve our problems by ourselves
It would be of course easier and quicker with our friends’ helps
It’s the duty of all Burmese to strive for ourselves and seek friends
I’m sure a day will come when all the doldrums and depression end
The Burmese people have freedom democracy and rule of law prevails
Britain Burma Society and similar organizations thrive to stake and say!
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
20.03.2009 (original)
Note: Burmese Word and English Equivalent
Anyeint = A solo female Burmese dance with 2 male jokers
BBS =
BSPP = Burma Socialist Programme Party
Cee = A small wooden clapper
Cee-pon = Head dress for princess
Htaing Mathein Eingyi = Female royal Burmese blouse
Htami = Burmese female skirt
Longyi = Sarong, Male skirt
Mintha = Prince or Male dancer clad in princely dress
Pho Sein Gyi = Celebrated male Burmese dancer before WW II
ROS = Royal Overseas Society
Sangha = Order of the Buddhist monks
Tabindaing Minthami Aka = Solo Burmese princess dance
Type-Pon = Burmese male jacket (Chinese Ty-pose)
Zaw Gyi = Alchemist, Magician or Thaumaturgist














No comments:
Post a Comment