I Remember the Britain-Burma Society
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
I remember the Britain-Burma Society
I tried to attend its parties and celebrations
Held in the 1960s in Royal Overseas Society’s building
Situated near the Green Park Underground Tube Station
BBS members,
They all enjoyed fun friendship and food served in the meetings.
(Green Park Near Royal Overseas Society Building, London, Where
the BBS functions Were Held in the late 1960s) (victoriaweb.com)
I was first introduced to one of its functions then
By Betty Paddon of BBS by inviting me to attend
When the famed writer Maurice Collis descended
He talked about his experiences that transcended
Colonialism and nationalism of the 1930s in
He was a just and unbiased British colonialist officer.
(Maurice Collis, 1889-1973)
I had read many of his books on
Trials in
Land of the Great Image, Last and First in
We Burmese loved him as an anti-colonialist writer
Many of his books have been translated as such
He was an Irish and a dutiful British officer as much.
(John Okell, Burmese Professor, SOAS, London)
I enjoyed his talk that day and clapped
A Briton sitting next looked at me and said
“It’s good talk, Is it not?” in Burmese
His pronunciation was clear and correct indeed
I replied,” Yes, it’s also your Burmese!”
“Kyezu Bar,” he smiled and said pleased
He was John Okell of the SOAS London
He became a great friend of us in
(Latest Cover of Dr Htin Aung's Burmese Folk Tales
Part of Which Was Prescribed for Our Premedical
Matriculation Examination in 1955)
Another time, I listened to Dr Htin Aung
He was talking about history of the Konbong
He said British historians had not been kind to
They painted gloomily of our kings and commoners
This was stated by historian G.E. Harvey in his 3 letters
Bequeathed to
He already had written “A History of Burma”
And ‘In Defence of the Burmese Chronicles” to defend
His aim was to present real Burmese history as it happened.
(L to R: Dr Ba Maw, Thakhin Mya, Dr Thein Maung and General
Aung San Going to Japan During WW II On the Path Trodden By Saya San)
A former Brigadier of the British Army also talked
In one lecture about his exploits in
He was stationed in Kalaw of the then Shan States
He said it was cold quiet leisurely and just parades
Except when Saya San stormed the British barricades
When the police failed and people began to exaggerate
He had to lead the fights against him in the later dates.
(Prewar Mandalay Near Zegyo; Note the Clock Tower and Tram Car)
He said his fight was easy militarily
As Saya San had no modern means army
His men were just brigands wielding swords and spears
They were no match for the modern army of
He pitied Saya San and his men for their follies
They should have resorted to modern weaponry.
I did not applaud his talks for obvious reason
So were many of my compatriots at the function
I was indignant that he did not talk about patriotism
That Saya San and his men were brigands just bullying
He knew as we know now he was out gunned by the British
But he succeeded in awakening patriotism before he perished.
(Lord Mountbatten of Burma, First President of BBS)
There were also just food and fun parties
That Britain Burma Society held occasionally
I attended its Thadingyut and Christmas Parties
People ate, drank, danced and dallied happily
I remember one dancing with Betty particularly
She was of my mother’s age and led me well ably
The audience thought I knew ball room dance really
Her husband Percy delighted applauded me equally.
(BBC U Nay Win & Dorothy Woodman)
Paddons invited us to their home frequently
They fed us and showed us the English country
Dorothy Woodman was Betty’s best friend and classmate
She made Betty work in the BBS for her sake;
(Percy and Betty Paddon With Burmese Ambassador U Maing Maung Gyi)
Dorothy also invited us to her home
She treated us with food and drinks all alone
But she introduced us to young British students
We sang together as fast friends being very jubilant.
We also met other British people who had been to
Professors Kermode, McMinn, Woodruff, Anna Allot etc.
(Dr Hla Pe, Professor of Burmese at SOAS and Anna Allot, Lecturer
Writer and Past Secretary of BBS)
I remember attending a talk given by an English curator
He helped sent back the Burmese royal throne and paraphernalia
He was treated well by the then Head of State U Ne Win
We were glad and proud of our royal relics and grateful to him
Many BBS members contributed to Britain Burma friendship
I’m still proud of being educated in the
(MMN and Professor Bowden at Her Christmas Party in London)
The best party was the Burmese New Year or Thigyan
It was held in June or July to make it warm in
I remember attending it in 1969 before my departure
I was finishing my thesis to sit for viva at this juncture;
(Governor Sir Hubert Rance and General Aung San)
Sir Hubert Rance and many former
They talked, they doused water and they tussled with one another
They mixed with us and we exchanged emotional elated expressions
It was a joyous and jubilant celebration on this auspicious occasion.
(Britsh Parliament Building on the Thames Where the Tenth Anniversary
of BBS was Held)
The most memorable was the Tenth Year Anniversary
Of the Britain Burma Society that's celebrated solemnly
It was held in the historic high
I remember Lord Louis Mountbatten of
He was dressed distinctly with decorations and dazzling
Former colonial officers and old diplomats were admiring.
(Buckingham Palace, London, England)
Many British MPs and
HE U Hla Maung spoke about Britain Burma Friendship and Cooperation
He explained why
It was due to the initial rule that British Queen be Head of all States within
It was not that
(Governor Sir Hubert Rance and President Sao Shwe Thaike on the
First Independence Day of Burma, 04.01.1948)
The Britain Burma Society was first established in 1957
To foster the two nations’ friendship and cooperation then
Presided by Earl Mountbatten of
Sir Huber Rance, the last Governor of Burma, was its Chairman
They were aided ably by admirable journalist Dorothy Woodman
I was fortunate to have met and talked with them in person
They had good heart to do good to us budding blooming Burmans
I gave credit to them for their good will, good work and helping hand.
I have good opinion of the Britain Burma Society’s functions
It has forged the Britain Burma friendship and cooperation
I gained a lot of friends and fun at the BBS’s functions
I also learned a lot about our past told by the first persons
Like Maurice Collis, Sir Hubert Rance, Dr Hla Pe and others
I say it benefited us state scholars to
I’m glad it still exists and insists for important cultural activities
I wish it succeeds in its endeavors for eternal Britain Burma amity.
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
M.B., B.S. (Rgn, 1961), Ph.D. (
17.03.2009(original)
Note: Thanks to the BBS Website for Many of its Photos Posted.
















No comments:
Post a Comment